Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Very nice build and I like all your chassis stuff so far. I agree with the 10' chop. Keep the updates coming.

2. kingpins

kingpins

gonna be a cool car.

3. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Incredible work OB. I guess you must have done some kind of work in this line before! You got a great thinking cap young man! perley

4. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

preety sure hes just learning this as he goes, got a realy good thinking cap on though :)

6. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Tim is right with this one. So far its been an on going learning session...I just like trying to work things out.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

anything new?

8. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

That's a dam good looking block!

9. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That crossmember is sooo sexy. I think my new X is going to require a bit more love than yours did.

10. oldsboy

oldsboy

Well as it being winter now with snow on the ground effort has been placed back into gathering parts for the upcoming summer. The plan for this summer involves a roller that steers and chop by the end of summer, so we'll see what happens.

Until then here's a shot of the latest addition:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    eddie1 and bryanyeskie like this.
  11. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

[​IMG]

This picture makes my heart go pitter-pat.

12. a.y1320

a.y1320

Really like your work, I'm also building a t sedan. Yours is better. I hate you.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lookin good, busting ass on the 46 since the weathers been thawing out. cant wait to here that T rumbling around :)

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

How did your wheels turn out? I heard about the tire 'rib' issue and whether it should be mounted to the inside or outside of the wheels. I had Randy mount my tires with the rib to the inside for appearance reasons. Did you read somewhere that the rib is supposed to be to the outside?

Malcolm

15. oldsboy

oldsboy

The wheels turned out great. I'll be posting some pictures soon.

About the rib being in or out. I think it comes down to personal preference. Joe and I had talked about this in the past as he had mounted his with the rib out as well because all of the small text and technical information was on the opposite side of the rib and didn't want to see it.

I don't know if there is a real right or wrong or not; just depends on if it matters or not to see a rib or small text.

16. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Great build thread, congrats.
    Is the 'B' pillar taller than the rest?

17. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks for the compliment, the B pillars though are the same height as the rear. I think I know what you are looking at though. The way I shot the side view of the car forces the perspective a bit and makes it look like the B pillars are actually the tallest part of the roof line....

18. oldsboy

oldsboy

I was able to get out and take some measurements and nail down a chop height. Yes I am going to chop it.

HOWEVER I want to let you all know the height has now been set by myself sitting inside the car comfortably in the seats it will have in it and with a temporary roof insert mocked up. This is pretty much the lowest I can afford without sacrificing comfort. I think it should work. Looking for input so please feel free.

BTW its 9 inches with the header sectioned to 1".

Looking at cutting it up by the end of april hopefully so more pics will appear around that point.

Plus I had my wheels and tires mounted and powder coated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    seats.

[​IMG]
    Note: the windshield opening is cut to the bottom edge of the windshield. I wanted to check visibility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since I'm loaning my mock-up block and grille shell to a friend, I took the liberty of "photoshopping" in the motor and grille shell

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

It looks good. It's not over-chopped by any means and actually enhances the stance. One of the better T sedans I've seen yet..

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I've love every thing up to the chop[too much by maybe 1.5 to 2in.],but it an't my rod,so keep having fun:cool:;)

21. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words!

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Better think about cushion in those seats and what kind of top you're going to have in it before you settle on 9", I did 8" in my coupe and I think it's going to be pretty close.

I dig the 1" header, I wish I had done the same, I did a 2" header.

23. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks for the concern, believe me I sat in the car quite awhile before deciding to go this route....

So far for the seats I'm planning on building up a cushion to minimize height. It looks like I'll have about 1-2 inches above me as I measured my head height by sitting on (2) short 2x4's in place of the cushions to make up the "cushion" height which would put it at 3". It'll be tight but if I have to lay the seat down a bit it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the top I haven't quite made up my mind. Thinking about fabbing up something from a stock design only removable.

Have you decided on your roof yet? and BTW you were the one that inspired me to take another look at my header. Its currently 2" but think I'll take another 1" out. So, thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  24. skoh73

skoh73

Just found and went through the entire thread tonight. You have done some great work and should be very proud of yourself. Look forward to seeing more progress. Subscribed.

25. oldsboy

oldsboy

Well... the long awaited weekend came and went. Agree with it or not, I/we finally chopped the sedan.

With the help of my brother(63FE_Iron) and Joe(lowtruck). Overall we ended up going with 9". It seems drastic I know, but it is a comfortable fit, seats and all. It came out a lot better than I could have expected. No more photoshop images, this thing is real.

All I know is that now, I have a lot of metal work ahead of me...

[​IMG]
    Before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had the headlights so...test fit.

Shadow Creek, brEad and bryanyeskie like this.
  26. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

BADASS. Really like the way the car is looking!!

27. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

oldsboy...check your PM's please...thanks

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking very good, man!

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

AAHHH!!! You Fucker!!! I'm gonna dig-it though. Personally, I'd like a shorter wheelbase, but I'm fucker that didn't want it chopped. It looks alright.

30. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Bad Ass! keep up the good work.