Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. cac646

cac646

Dog and I went to check out the airflow in more detail. We hadn't walked that far down the wash last time. Here's a few more pics.

Attached Files:

2. cac646

cac646

A few more

Attached Files:

3. cac646

cac646

Attached Files:

4. cac646

cac646

Most of the stuff is pretty rough. Couple nice door handles. No guages, emblems etc. No engines in most of the cars. Did find a decent '49 licence plate.

Couple pics of the hot rod on the way home. Cars are in the washes across form the car. Had a good time and Sprocket (dog) especially loves to go for hikes and hot rod rides.

Attached Files:

5. 1967gtafb

1967gtafb

Great pics guy's thank's

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

All of this stuff on the AZ & NM border off of hwy70?

7. cac646

cac646

All of it is right in Morenci / Clifton. We're about 40 miles north on the 191 which intersects the 70.

8. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Wow!!! Of all the places to find a Pontiac V8 motor!!!

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just looked familar... 'Course, I have dug around up there too. I do know where there is the non reastorable remains of a Airflow coupe in that neck of the woods.

10. wagonwheel

wagonwheel

wagon with green roof nose in to the left
    chevy?

11. cac646

cac646

Is that what the motor pic I posted is? I knew it was GM but not sure after that. Motor is in horrible shape. Most of the side of the block is missing.

12. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I wuz thinkin' about all the dollars in scrap for the Chinks. WTF would a B-52 be worth in aluminum, wow.

13. no i mean the one between the 60 chevy and i think its a59 merc the merc is pointing straight up and leaning agaisnt the car im refering to

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Go back to Page 1, post #6, first photo - '53 Chevy wagon.

Same place, second photo - you can see the end of the Ford's rear bumper but not enough to see if it has guards.

15. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Yep,,, Pontiac,,, 45* angled timing cover, oil filter on right rear. Its a Pontiac!

16. [​IMG]

The motor is most likely a '65 or '66 389 Pontiac.

Will have to make a trip out there soon.

17. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

You're right! The guy's name is Milo. That place is loaded!

18. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Our next outing is tentatively scheduled for wed the 4th of April. We will be heading back to the salt river canyon area for some more exploring!!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll do my best on this one guys! Things are finally slowing just a touch.

20. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Hey!! If you can make it, the area we are going back to is GREAT!!!! Pictures just dont do it justice!!! Allready have several places to explore that we didnt get time to look at last time. We have been commuting in a couple of cars to save on gas. Sure we will have room for ya if interested!!

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm actually kind of surprised some scrapper has'nt hit upon the idea of hauling this sort of stuff out for profit. There are places like this all across the country, free for the pickens. "Most" of it looks to be too far gone for the most part anyway, some good parts could be saved. Clean up the country while making money. Now, don't anyone get upset by that idea. Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Butch,,, Not upset & understand where you are coming from,,,, A lot of the stuff we find here are down in very steep ravines/canyons off of old highways. We hike in to these areas. The roads are usually no longer passable or accessable by vehicles unless its a motorcycle. You would need a very long cable with a winch to get most of it out. We find these, photograph for the enjoyment of others & us & leave for the next passers by to enjoy. If it was all drug out & scrapped, there would be nothing for us or anyone else to see. I belive its part of the history of the area & should be left alone.

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  23. All of our group will be at the Nostalgic Show & GO! this Sunday at Speedworld. Be sure to look us up as we plan our hikes for the next several months.

Steve

[​IMG]

24. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I really like this thread, it would be a shame if the country was "cleaned" of all this history. JMHO

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  25. flat top austin

flat top austin

If I weent where that 60 impala is i would find out how to get it out of theree

26. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Our next outing will be this thursday. We will be returning to the Salt River canyon area to explore some mines & old equipment we didnt get time to see last trip. If anyone wants to tag along, drop us a line so we can meet up!!

27. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

VEERY cool thread!

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to miss this one as well. I have a pile of stuff to louver before next week's trip to round up, a '34 p/u to finish wiring before the Bethany Bible Church show this weekend, and more stuff coming in this morning. I love being busy, but I sure miss the "old days" with far more time to have fun than work! Enjoy guys!!!

29. Another great outing. We found yet another early 30s car! Had a fisher body tag so, probably GM.
    Then explored several mines. Went way deep inside a few of them. One was exceptionally cool with things inside, misc. Then explored a very old pull trailer with a huge diesel engine powering a huge air compressor. That dates we could find on it were as old as 1917 and as new as 1948.
    pics coming

30. HamD

HamD

I love seeing old tin in ravines and such that I know wouldn't be reasonable to fix up, but I maintain hope. I can only think of one on the way into Tonto Nat'l Forest (from the E Phx Valley) and another on the way to a museum place up north but now you've all given me reasons for road trips! Thanks for the thread.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013