Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Coolvairs Lets See Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Beau

Beau

Post some more!

2. I have a 65 corvair I traded a 283 for it.It'll be for sale.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Coolest Corvair ever.

-Dave

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a year too late for the board ( 65 ) but here is where it is today....1973 Eldorado TH425 transaxle against a mild 400HP small block ( HAMB related, the motor was in my T when I got it :))

[​IMG]

The radiator will be in front of the engine. The air feed for the radiator will be the from the bottom of the car.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

im looking at a corvair tomorrow morning, if i bring her home ill post pics. all original 1960 running/driving 4 door in metallic green.

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im really cold turkeying for one.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

They're everywhere on local Craigslist at the moment. I don't know where you are, but I'm willing to bet you could find one cheap. If GM had built the Chevy II two years earlier, I doubt you could find a Chevrolet of this period as inexpensively.

-Dave

8. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

That gasser was destroying a corvair... In my opinion. turned a good handling small car into a tall, all over the road, front engined wanna be falcon from the same era. If it was built in the 60s than i retract my statement... IMO it would be the same as someone taking a early vette and putting a ford 390, bags, and skulls and flames on it...

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Some people own Corvairs because they want a cheap Porsche, some own them because they have good, early-sixties Chevy styling in a smaller package. I totally get where the gasser came from, and I'd do the same.

I could also see the 390 in the 'Vette, but I'll pass on the skulls, etc.

-Dave

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im in italy....shipping, taxes, registration...big headache. Ill buy one one day nontheless.

11. klazurfer

klazurfer

The early coupes have a Nice roofline
    Klaz :)

Attached Files:

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Probably a pretty good thing it's not yours then, right? I happen to like it a bunch, as well as a more stock rear engined car.

verde742 likes this.
  13. I want to build a '65-'69 really bad. I have always wanted to build a street version of the old Doug Thorley Corvair funny car from the late '60s. Front engined, big/little Halibrands, and low.

14. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

hahah! I just choked on my sandwich!

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've seen a pic of Carlo Abarth next to one.

A Abarth modified Corvair ( or a copy of one) would be awesome...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The oil gusher problem was real but with the introduction of Viton rubber that has long since been cured. There are rubber O rings at both ends of the exposed push rod tubes the rubber O rings of the day could not stand up to the heating/cooling cycles of the all aluminum engine and heads.

17. [​IMG]

Got this one for $500.00 Lowered it added Cragars, Corsa dash, 140+HP engine and after all these years, still messes with kid's minds. 75 MPH all day, and corners like a skateboard.

kbgreen likes this.
  18. papajohn

papajohn

Yeah. Absolutely ridiculous. Next thing, guys will be putting flathead v8s and small block chevies into model a's and 32's ! Crazy.

verde742 likes this.
  19. Beau

Beau

That's why it's you opinion. This car sat stock on CL for OVER A YEAR for $700. Nobody bought it. My friend bought it to put the engine/trans into a '53 Ford 4 door open top frame dragging kustom (Now that's weird). He couldn't sell the body for anything! Nobody wanted it, but everyone wanted to "save the rare Corvair". Dan (the owner, not on the internet) found a straight axle at a swap and the build began. That was four months ago, and around $2000. The video was the first drive. He has plans for new wheels and tires and a more level ride height.

So, two junk unwanted cars are became two oddball hot rods.

It's not everyone cup of tea, but it's what Dan wanted. He's not online, so he is unaware of the gasser fad.

20. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

just picked this put today, drove 4 hours to pick it up. borrowed a truck with the idea of towing it home. got there and it ran so well i drove the 4 hours home doing 70 the whole way! nice little shake down run. 1960 4 door with original interior, only missing a few small things here and there. glad i made the trip this morning.

[​IMG]

21. Good buy. Fun little cars huh.

22. T-Faust

T-Faust

I just came across what I thought was a Corvair powered kit car in a bone yard. After a little investigation it turned out to be an Apal, a Belgian car assembled on VW frame. It probably picked up the Corvair power in America. I am giving it a lot of thought. Being scared off by a few missing pieces like the broken windshield.

Scratching the graying head about all the talk here of oil leaks. Seems to me the big culprit was the tubes that enclosed the push rods. Back in the day someone made expanding covers (engine expanded with heat and loosened the seals on the tubes). There were also aftermarket seals that did a better job of sealng. Where to get them? Not sure.

23. Vinton seals Clarks Corvair www.corvair.com Works great! And whats good for you, they are located in Shelburne Ma.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  24. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yup those are the Viton O rings and seals I posted of earlier visit here for any Corvair needs Corvair Center :: Corvair Center Forum If it is built from a Corvair we want to hear about and see pictures of it !be it Corvair bodied or Corvair powered all are welcome.

25. racer756

racer756

My 65 Corsa 140, M/T Medallion Mags,
    I run a Cirillo Magneto for ignition.
    As fun of a car as I have ever owned.

Attached Files:

26. racer756

racer756

Ok, I got a problem with cars....Especially Corvairs.
    This is my 63 Greenbrier Wagon

Attached Files:

27. No but I assume there are more, I just don't have access to them. My grandma has a back room she won't let us into with things from the past. Bummer

28. Beau

Beau

The engine from the blue Gasser Corvair I posted is now mounted in what's left of a '53 Ford 4 door.

:D

Attached Files:

29. 60man

60man

What the Hell.....I enjoy my ragtop Corvair.....and the chicks dig it !:D

Attached Files:

kbgreen likes this.
  30. pervair

pervair

Heres my Monza 140 convertible. Before and after.
    -Perry

corvair001 (Small).JPG

TemeculaRodRun2011046-vi.jpg