Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much should I offer for it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Mar 23, 2012.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

A while back I found an old hot rod built in 1960, the owner showed it to me. When I tried to purchase said hot rod from him it was a firm "No, I gave it to my son. Its not for sale'' Well a couple days ago I ran into the old man at the DMV, he didn't recognize me at first then I told him who I was. He asked me if I found what I was looking for yet, I said no...then quickly corrected myself and said "yes! its in your barn" Then he said something that I haven't been able to stop thinking about for 2 days now. "You'll have to ask me son....maybe"

I'm selling a car this weekend, so I'll have some cash in hand. If I show up on the guys doorstep and whip out some cash, what would be a fair offer?

The car is a '31 Model A coupe, unchopped with a nicely filled roof, channeled over the frame(currently no floor what so ever) The body is just resting ontop of the '32 Ford rails, center X-member was butchered out when they built the car, Chopped Deuce grill, front axle and spring are out of a '39 Zephyr, rear end is a junk late model chevy the kid stuffed in there. No motor or tranny, originally ran a 327 backed by a 3spd. So I am assuming the mounts are still there. Thats pretty much all thats left of it.

I kinda added up the total value of the parts there.
    -coupe body $1500-$2000
    -deuce rails only $500-$600
    -chopped deuce grill $200
    -zephyr axle and spring $150
    So about $3000 on the high end.

Am I any where close? If I'm out of line let me know

2. If the body is all there and the doors open and close I'd say $ 3000.00 is a good start for a hot rod. I paid that for a glass roadster body with doors, fenders, and a frame, grille shell and a few odds and ends. I'd have gladly paid that for a steel coupe body and duece frame if I could have found one. You'll get different opinions here but I'd jump on it if it's solid.

3. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

how bad do you want it??? i would low ball him and see what he says

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

We really need a better idea what shape the body is in, are the subrails still there, do the doors close fairly well? Window garnish mouldings, deck lid condition, are the '32 rails solid and straight. I'd think $3,500-5,000 may be market value if the above items are good. Is the car you're selling one you won't regret selling? Selling a car to get funds is a smart move only if it is somethuing you wont miss. Bob

5. Fenders

Fenders

I think your $3K is about right --- you can always go up, but you can't go down.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you able to compare it to the going price of similar cars in similar condition?

I'd probably go over talk to the guy's kid and ask if he would sell it and what he would sell it for cash greenies that day. Cash green money then and there speaks pretty loudly especially when the potential seller may not be all that interested in the car. All he can do is say hell no, shoot you a price that is way too high or shoot you a price that is good to you or that you can negotiate on.

7. Dyce

Dyce

Depends on the car and the quality of work done back in 1960. I've seen "old hotrods" I'd pass on because it was butchered up. You might want to find a body and frame that hasn't been messed with.

8. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Pics would be good !!! 3K sounds about right w/ no drive train or floor pan.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't go dangling the cash in front of him, expecting him to start humping your leg like a dog in heat. A lot of old us guys find this pretty offensive. He may well be more concerned the car is going to a good home and the cash being a secondary consideration. In any event, treat him with respect.

10. Having cash usually doesnt mean shit ... your not usually gonna get a car without it .. your certainly not gonna get it with a personal check.. but if the guy asks you to make and offer say "Gee you are asking me to bid against myself ... give me a starting point." .... its better that you get the feel for him than he get the feel for you.

11. richie rebel

richie rebel

3000k seems like a good start,your in the ball park............

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm not selling the car to buy this car. It was just by chance I ran into the guy, and I happen to have the cash.

In all honesty guys, I really couldn't get a good look at the car when I was there. Its stuffed in a corner of his barn, with loads of stuff piled on and around it, not to mention it was pretty dark in there. It would take a team to get the car out. I only saw the grill shell, the front half of the body, the roof, and the grill. There didn't appear to be any sub-rails at all. Whoever did the insert did an excellent job from what I could see. He told me that they just cut out the crossmember rather than modifying it for the tranny. So the center of the frame has been hacked.

Thats why I posted this thread, If anyone knew it would be a HAMBer

13. Does it have a title?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Let him name the price then tell him what you'll pay. You offer him $3000 right off the bat and he'll know you'll give more. Good luck getting the project.

lothiandon1940 and 03GMCSonoma like this.
  15. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Great advice! I never make the first offer. Let the seller start the process...

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The first thing you should do BEFORE any $$$ talk, is ask to see the car in good light to make a valued assessment of what you're buying...otherwise it's a pig in a poke...

bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

these days that's worth a lot. And a PITA without one.

18. F&J

F&J

Not in New York:cool:, esp if it stays in New York. 'tis a walk in the park.;)

And Hillbilly, no balls unless you keep it channeled with the spring ahead and chopped 32 shell. :D "Old school east, and dam proud of it".

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

F&J nailed it on both parts! New York State didn't start issuing titles until 1974, so if its pre-1974 all you need is a rubbing of the VIN(or better yet picture of the VIN tag) and a hand written bill of sale and you got yourself an open registration. OR an old registration card, which the owner may still have. Last tagged in '62. (I guess the story is he stopped driving it because his buddy borrowed it and blew the motor in MASS. and it had to get towed home)

Oh, You know damn well its gonna stay true to it's roots! No chop, all channel baby!

I don't know if I could get the guy to name his price. Its not like it is listed for sale, it's just an old car sitting in the barn. However, he is currently restoring a '70 Impala. Perhaps I could get away with saying something like "how much money do you need to finish your car?"

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

What he said. At least get a flash light on it.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

be careful with the lowball offer. You don't want to piss him off and have him take the car off the market

22. big bad john

big bad john

.......Best advice yet....an old car saleman told me once.....He who speaks first about the price of a car ...."loses"........also with no title .the price should be lower......if the car is really nice...$2200 would be a good starting point....Keep us posted

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The man has wisdom far beyond his 29 years (how many times around I'm not sayin':)). There is no way I'd venture even an entry offer without seeing it full view in daylight. Any resistance to comply with that request...................walk away.........he's hiding something.

Frank

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

In all honesty guys, I really couldn't get a good look at the car when I was there. Its stuffed in a corner of his barn, with loads of stuff piled on and around it, not to mention it was pretty dark in there. It would take a team to get the car out. I only saw the grill shell, the front half of the body, the roof, and the grill. There didn't appear to be any sub-rails at all. Whoever did the insert did an excellent job from what I could see. He told me that they just cut out the crossmember rather than modifying it for the tranny. So the center of the frame has been hacked.

With that said, I'm not getting a good picture in my head, actually I'm seeing an unfinished project done without the use of tools. Maybe an offer of $1,000 is more in line.

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I don't want to insult the guy. The body alone would sell for more than a grand. Don't get me wrong, I'd pay that all day long...

26. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Unless the guys old canoe fell on the back of it.

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Like others have said, dont shoot your self in the foot with the first offer. Put the ball in his court. You might get lucky and get it for less that you expect.

28. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try to get a good look at the car, and if you like it , it's do-able,or you just want it, buy it. In the overall scheme of things it doesn't matter if it's $2000 or $4000. If you thjink you pare paying too much , lie about the purchase price : that's your business anyway.

29. It doesn't matter if you pay 3, 4, or 5 if you want the car and are happy about it pay what you're comfortable with.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you make an offer without getting to inspect it how do you know what you are buying ? All of us have seen a car that looked good from a distance and when you really get to look close at it you realize you wouldn't take it if they gave it to you free.

I realize you don't want to piss the guy off or scare him away, but there is nothing wrong in the buying process to ask to look at the merchandise. My first words to him would be "I'm not here kicking tires, I am a serious buyer, what will it take to buy that car." Once he quotes a price you have a starting point and can make an intelligent decision only after seeing the car in the light.

Don