Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harley Davidson - "Flat black" Paint??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I just saw a new Harley and it has our traditional flat black paint !

Anyone know about their paint -what's the story on this ---looks good !!!

2. SamAndrews

SamAndrews

They call it "denim" they've been doing it on select bikes since about 2006. Not sure who makes Harley's paint as they don't give paint codes. They have actually done a few different flat colors as well.

3. Master of None

Master of None

You saw a Cross Bones, friend of mine (camel toe kid ) got one when they first came out. Don't mind it, but I'm more of a car guy then bike guy. I don't care for the seat, one of those it you want a old looking bike, restore a old bike. The paint on it is a base coat with a flat clear. He likes it, but it does seem to collect dust easier than his shiny bikes.

4. They call it denim. Been around for a few years.
    Comes in black silver red blue and maybe a few new ones.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

They started that 'round '06 I believe with a Streetbob in black. Added new 'Denim' colors later...kinda 'dated' these days, to most.

6. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I think one of the new sportster's offers it this year too. Might be the '48'.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Any HD can be gotten in a denim color actually. Started as a flat paint with no clear in 06, 08 they put a flat clear on it. All the posers really love it. The denim "silver" looks like grey primer and the "red" to me is red oxide primer.

8. What is the story durability ,fading ,exposure to sun, cleaning-washing etc..

BECAUSE of this website site, there are many opinions of brands of paints to "stay way from " re flat black

How can Harley come up with a flat black that apparently; holds up the the elements and can be maintained BUT we are getting soo many mixed opinions on what paint to use ????

So much so that i am undecided as to what way to go on my shoebox ford.

9. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

Harley's black denim paints have to be bought through Harley (pricey) and can be bought as just a single stage or with a flat clear. They call for the clear on tanks, spilled gas could eat into the single stage, and for added UV protection. I'm not a flat paint fan, but I just painted and Ultra with Harleys denim black last week and it laid out great and looked good when I was done. You'd have to compare prices, but if thats the look you want the Harley paint seems like a high quality choice.

10. Royalscadillacs

Royalscadillacs

...oh, and as far as cleaning and washing, Harley sells a specific cleaner for them. You'd have to research the best way to clean it because alot of flats start to shine up the more you wash them, which Harley mentions in their owners manuals, I know of some makers calling for grease and wax remover to clean them.

11. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

HD "wrinkle black" in a can is some seriously awesome stuff. I've painted HD parts, engine, etc with it (over etch primer) and it looks great and holds up great.

12. sugar free shawn

sugar free shawn
    from whorelando

any reputable paint shop can "flatten" clear.. and that way you can shoot any color base you want, and get the satin look.. the quality (like on the harleys) seems high because you have a basecoat, clear coat paint job, giving you the durability. the protective clear coat is just satin looking instead of high gloss.. but on that note, you spend all that time on a flawless black paint job, that could have been like a mirror!

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Our? Personally I don't find flat black to be so traditional. I find shiny to much more traditional. I've only painted cars flat black to get them in primer before moving on to shiny.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Bike boards I used to frequent claimed Windex to clean the cleared flats. HD paint is PPG supposedly, there was a site at one time that gave up the #'s, HD won't.

15. Willy301

Willy301

Well said Zman!

16. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

It's debut was on the Dyna Street Bob (fxdbi) in 2006.

17. Bobjoe

Bobjoe

The demin on my street gluide is very cool, since My 29 A coupe is flat black. Does show dirt easy, ahh chit. Cleans easy. Good luck.

18. greazy john

greazy john

PPG has all the codes to mix any harley color, just ask your local jobber it's that simple

19. jimbousman

jimbousman

I've painted a number of HD's. I use a standard base coat for color the use a high quality clear for top coat. I prefer to add what is called a "flattening agent" to the top coat to get the effect I want. This way I can control the paint effect anywhere from semigloss to dead flat.

The durability is the same as with any good quality top coat. The only problem I have seen is when you go dead flat on some darker colors things like oil spots can be hard to clean up. Obviously using waxes of sealants will ruin the effect.