Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea it was, took me all day but I had fun doing it. The middle bar for the grille is too messed up to save so Im just going to look for another one, but the rest of the grille is salvageable just have to get it all re-chromed.

2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

so does anyone have one of those air saws for cutting sheetmetal and what not? I've been thinking about getting one for when I do my doors because I've heard they can be controlled better than a cutoff wheel, but I dont want to go out and buy one thats a POS.

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What type of air saw specifically?

4. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Reciprocating air saws, Cornwell has one so I would think that its going to be good quality. Harbor Frieght has a bunch but from what I've read they are junk chinese stuff. Ingersoll Rand has some too but I'd just like to know who has one, what brand is it and how do they like it.

5. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Finally sanded all that old red paint off! Getting closer to primer!

Attached Files:

6. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Funny, except for the hood it looks like a Chevy now. That grille really sets off a GMC.

7. devilleish

devilleish

After seeing that I can't wait to see what I find in mine. No real bad rot but I need new on the right side due to an Eldorado owned by an idiot neighbor my dad had about 25 years ago.

8. devilleish

devilleish

I was thinking the same thing. I've been tempted to put a GMC grille in mine (although I always have preferred the smoother hood of a Chevy).

You've really got me ready to get shit-hot on my poor '55... sittin in bare metal off the frame since I lost a good job last year and been through a series of low-paying jobs to make ends meet... Finally ready to start working on her again!

9. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea I've finally had some time between school and work to get some stuff done on this thing and since spring break is next week I'll be able to get even more done! What are your plans for your 55'?

10. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got one door done, man was that alot of work but it turned out good.
    Pics!

Attached Files:

11. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So I have to say getting the door gaps perfect is alot of work, but it seems to be paying off because they are looking good!

Attached Files:

12. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Nice work! The door looks great. Love your project.

13. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! I can't wait to get some color on this thing....maybe this summer. But it will be in primer soon at least.

14. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Who did you buy the door bottoms from and would you recommend them?

15. 1959apache

1959apache

counterpart is the only way to go on these. If they are more expensive then so be it. better quality

16. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I bought mine from So Cal speed shop in Phx, I think they are counterparts. They seem to have better quality stuff.

17. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Truck's coming along nicely...you're doing a great job on it!

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks!

19. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Greatjob on the old truck! It really is gonna look killer. Your attention to detail on panel fitment will really make it sharp!

Do you have a link to counterpart?

20. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Yeah, I did a google search for counterpart and came up with nothing related to trucks. Help please.

21. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

All I could find on them was an address....my cab corners I got from So Cal in phx and my door bottoms I got from Classic Chevy truck parts of America, and they were counterparts, nice thick steel. Classic Chevy truck parts of America also seems to have better quality stuff than Brothers. The first truck I restored the wing window rubber is already cracked to shit and the truck is inside 90% of the time......:mad:

What parts are you looking for exactly?

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

truckandcarshop.com is the retail side of Counterpart. And yes, their patch panels are usually a better fit than the competitors.

23. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

24. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Door bottoms, just like you did. Later cab corners. Everyone with these trucks needs the same parts. I'm just frustrated with repro parts that are cheesy and don't fit.

Really, the Truck and Car Shop? I've bought other stuff from them and it always seemed like uber cheap imported stuff. Hmmm, interesting.

25. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

talk about perfect door gaps... can I have this truck when you are finished!?

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Possibly....but for a little more than I paid for it! hahaha It is alot of work getting them straight but it should pay off in the end once I get it painted black.

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Alright so I've been doing TONS of sanding and I have the passenger fender ready for primer, hood and cab corner. Getting closer....I found a better pic to show how bad that fender was.

Attached Files:

28. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Working on the drivers side door now. Things have slowed down since I'm looking for a job but I should still have it in primer this summer. More pics soon....

29. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Done!

Attached Files:

30. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Drivers door is done! Just need to fill both speaker holes in both doors and finish the rest of my bodywork. Then I can shoot some primer on this thing!