Register now to get rid of these ads!

any one actually put castors on the rear of their lowered car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

I saw a pic of a dude from Jersey some years ago that had a hammered merc and it had castors in the back, at the time I thought that was pretty ghetto but now that I am living in a house with a driveway that has a 40% grade ;) I am rethinking this...

so anyone out there have a car with castors on it? any pics? tech?

I got ideas but I'd like to see it implemented?

I was thinking only having like maybe an inch hanging down in the back?

am I out of my damn mind?:D

2. Well to start with rodders like scooter trash used to be considered ghetto.

That said I haven't seen it done in about 40 years. But it is a worthwhile endevor to keep you from tearing your bumper off. Way better than bags in my book.

3. hotdamn

hotdamn

yea bags are for dank nugs...

Im kinda ghetto and I kinda live in the ghetto, well at least that buffer between the hood and not so hood, so this should work out well for me ;)

anyone else?

4. Maybe you could make a pair of " wheelie " bars that would serve as castors, might not look to bad depending on the type car you have. That's all I can come up with, but it's still early.

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Im gonna use some skate board wheels for mine, like some t-bones I found on EBAY because they are tall. I figured if any body ever looked under there they would chuckle instead of go WTF? Ya know.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Training wheels!

7. williebill

williebill

I built my own rear bumper brackets,and welded a heavy plate on each side to bolt the casters to. Don't think too much will show after the gravel pan and all the sheetmetal is installed,but I went with forged steel wheels that should hold anything up. I went with a wheel that's too big,but hopefully it won't be too obvious.
    Should work nicely with the 1" skid plates on the frame rails.
    I want it low,but no bags.
    And my driveway is steep,too. If I can eventually drive it out of there,then all that steel should protect the underside from anything.

8. D-man313

D-man313

I think its a good idea, maybe you can mount them so they just barely hang lower than the sheetmetal. So they would be harder to notice but still be effective.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm from NJ and used to see castor wheels on the rear bumpers of somewhat lowered cars with "Continental Kits". A city thing,guy would back out his driveway and there was steep short ramp going down to street level,bumper would drag without the wheels.best part was watching some self proclaimed Mr Cool get hung up.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like a good idea to me. wish I had done it before I tweaked the bumper on my Dodge going out a driveway.

11. Sounds like an idea, I'd like to see some pictures of a setup.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I have a friend that has a set of wood wedges that he carries around for situations like sharp & steep driveways.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I remember seeing a high buck, all black, mid-30's Ford awhile back that had a single big caster wheel under the chin of the grille that I thought was pretty clever. Being real good at monkey see, monkey do, I had a buddy turn down some black plastic wheelie bar wheels for me. I put them on the bottom / rear 4-bar bolt at the frame, on the inside, which is the lowest part of my frame. You can't see them at all and I bet I've surprised myself a half-dozen times hitting them. I'll bet it saved my tranny pan just about every time. They are in the very top corners of this image. Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  14. ryno

ryno

ive done a few different ways.
    steels caster wheels, tucked up , so just a little sticks under your rear bumper.
    you need to get the car in a position and see just how much you need to stick down.
    my last wagon was so long with huge amount of overhang, that casters would not work, so i made some skid plates that where welded to the frame and had fingers that protected the rear bumper from ripping off, done that a few times be for i actually made the skid plates.

on one of my trailers i made a long roller type along teh back x memebr. took soem 1 1/2 tube and a 3/4 tube with bearings installed so it made a huge roller.

15. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Around here it's funny. Guys with big dollar bag systems still drag the shit out of their junk coming into driveways at cruise spots. Tearing up a 50 year old treasure. It's like, hey, I want everyone to turn and LOOK AT ME. So, in an effort to have pride in your ride. And NOT tear it up, I say yes to the wheels. Fuck what everyone else says to you. It's YOUR car, and I applaud you for wanting to protect it from senseless damage

16. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

it's an old trick from back then :) i remember seing kustoms with them in the little books ... ;)

17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Umm, I don't mean to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but the blocks to the right just don't look safe to me... Maybe it's the angle I'm looking at?
    [​IMG]

18. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im using T-Bones on my board right now!

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You're right, my feet have been held to the fire on this more than once. But we did what we had to do, the best we could. Short of building some sort of cradle for the front end, it was the only way to use the lift with the 4-bars so low. It never waivered. Hopefully, I won't have to do it for a long time! Gary

20. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

The whole idea of using those blocks on the lift doesn't seem safe to me. . .

21. There was a guy in the town I grew up in who had a pair of casters under the rear of his brand spanking new '66 GTO. His parent's driveway was steep enough to scrub- and when he got a 1968 Firebird, he put casters on it,too. I wasn't old enough to drive in those days, and thought 'yeah right, like he's doin' wheelies?' But I asked his little brother who I was in school with, and he told me the reason for them. Heck, if you need them, you should have them. Who gives a crap if someone doesn't like the look? Come to think of it, who likes skint-up bumpers?
    David

22. F&J

F&J

Get someone to photoshop the blocks out. Then it will look like you are lifting on the 4 bars.... and wait for comments. :eek:

23. Jeeze, you know you're getting old when the "slang" doesn't make any sense at all.

Case in point: "yea bags are for dank nugs"

24. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

RAD, They were always one of my favorites when I was younger, and Tbone is kinda my nickname so they fit :D

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I tried it once, didn't work too well, I think if they had been smaller in diameter.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just thinking the same thing.:confused::confused:

27. sobpunx

sobpunx

translation: bags are for good marijuana buds.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Don't fret it. The blocks are sandwiched there by gravity.

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Crap you tried the t bones? They are tall I wondered about that, of course I may have some ojIIs somewhere. they so soft though I am afraid they may split.

30. ryno

ryno

i think the slime balls would be the ticket...