Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single-stage paint,not good to wetsand/buff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shinysideup, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I was talking with my local paint jobber about spraying single-stage urethane. I finally found a match to washington blue and want the original look not the clearcoat look. I still like a shine, and to flatten any orangepeel, I said "how many coats so I can cut/buff it out." He says" you dont wanna do that,it will never shine, just spray it and leave it."
    I swear I dont understand why not? Taking the obvoius steps not to sand deep etc,why cant I ?

Experiences...?

BTW,planning on spraying Limco 3 urethane.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You can cut and buff a Urethane.....just don't if it's a pearl or metallic....

3. Clark

Clark

He does not know what he's talking about.

I've done it plenty of times with 3 coats of color. Looks good every time.
    Clark

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

psshhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaawww, never shine, right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats single stage, I cut and buffed it to get rid of all the scratches the p/o's dogs left behind, I colored most of them in with a marker so you can see em,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shines like that hairless spot on top of my head.

started with 1000 grit, moved to 1500, then compound on a wool pad, compound on foam, then cleaner wax on foam, followed by a hand wax.

Not all the scratches are gone but it still shines better than new.

5. Reds 29

Reds 29

I was talking to my local jobber a couple months ago and he assured me I could cut and buff single stage urethane, went with it because of his assurance. Like was said above though not pearls or metallics.
    Red

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Washington blue is a solid color.
    Seems all the guys I spoke with are base/clear guys and are scared to sand color, probably because they spray theirs so thin and dont think it will hold out?
    I could not find a match after lengthy searches and numerous painthouses. I have the Limco paint specs if anyone needs them.

7. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Refer to the Bishop/Tardel book, "How to build a traditional Hot Rod".
    They shoot single stage urethane in Washington Blue and cut and rub it. And I trust Verne Tardel.

8. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

News to me. Do it all the time . . .

Attached Files:

• Tank.jpg
      Tank.jpg
      File size:
      286.7 KB
      Views:
  9. no problem, just give the limco 3 a couple days to get "hard"

10. JD Miller

JD Miller

Hell, the old dupont urathane you had to wet sand and buff just to get it to shine

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thanks guys, I just love the look of a properly polished solid color.
    Heres the color,borrowed the pic from HAMBer.

Attached Files:

12. Done it several times over the years. I love the look of a good SS buffed out.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why a piss coat of color and several coats of clear are better than several coats of single stage color?

briggs&strattonChev likes this.
  14. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Here's SS Dupont Centari that was done recently. The last pics were sanded with 1000/1200 then 1500. I took the car to the Detroit Autorama and got several compliments on how the shine was better than a bc/cc hard shiny plastic like look.

Attached Files:

15. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Most modern clears have better UV protection then single stage colors.Mostly I think it comes down to government regulations on VOC's.Thats why the big push to waterborn now.I still shoot all my solid colors at work in single stage and then clear it for better UV protection,it covers better and color match is better with SS vs BC.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  16. I love that car! Is that a Dupont Fleet color? I think it is the same one I helped a customer pick out for a Pheaton a few years back?

17. slammed

slammed

1. You can have art work buried w/ clear to protect it. 2. The clear has durability. 3. A deeper, wet shine. Esp cut/buff. Yes some do NOT like that look. It is a matter of preference.

18. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I do think that its a fleet color. I walked into my favorite old timey 3 generation parts store which has a paint dept. and told them that I wanted an old fashioned red/maroonish color and that's what I got. Couldn't be happier, in low light the color really darkens.

19. Noland

Noland

cut and buff it. It can be done no problem. I really like single stage urethane. its durable, easy to work with, and looks great.

20. slammed

slammed

How many (minimum) coats using a high volume gun is recommended? That is taking in the account of cut/buff to high luster. Leaving some room for later buffing as well.

21. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

the man does NOT know his trade. These cars all have single stage.

Attached Files:

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Somebody requested the Washington blue specs so here they are:
    Important. Limco 3 urethane 1/2 PINT mixture

Attached Files:

23. mastermannsr

mastermannsr

Hell I did that back in the seventies acrylic enamel, shop I worked in owner with 40 yrs painting asked me if I lacquered the car. Paint the dam thing and save your self a bunch of money vs.clearing. Been painting for over 40 yrs now!

24. mastermannsr

mastermannsr

Limco is junk paint

25. The best Single stage paint

Genesis® 2.8 Low VOC Acrylic Urethane is extremely durable, provides high gloss and is chemical/solvent resistant. Genesis® 2.8 can be air dried or force dried for a urethane-tough enamel that is ideal for OEM, Fleet, Truck, and Special Vehicle finishing. Genesis® 2.8 offers excellent hiding with lead and chromate free formulas. It is available in many intermix formulas including fleet specified colors.

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Positive advce........:)

Followed by.........:confused:

27. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

here are two single stage jobs, the one is a washington blue tinted a tad darker and the red one is my buddys old truck that i copied a pic from its ebay listing a few weeks back. that paint job is 11 yrs old..

Attached Files:

28. i found with "lower" grade paints, good results can be achieved, but they require extra care by the painter. with the lighter colors and red, because of weaker/less tints, a primer coat matched to the color is a must. the primer/sealer must be uniform. additional coats may be required but give it extra time between coats, they tend to dry slower.

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yeah, they said you shouldn't do it to Centari, either, and I've done a few that guys would swear were lacquer, even a black one!
    Urethane is MUCH easier than Centari.
    Nice tip to get the look of old lacquer.....put on enough to cover, then mix half and half with the same brand clear, and do 2-3 more coats. Then sand and buff after a good cure time (I wait a month, but I'm a masochist!)
    Just because the don't do things in collision shops, doesn't mean they can't be done!

30. Also been paintin for over 40 years, Limco ain't JUNK, just a lower grade and less cost.
    If the OP want to say sum $$$$ thats his choice.
    Case in point, this little 32 was done 5 years ago in Washington Blue and still looks great. 3 rd owner just called me a couple months ago to get color code for sum chips and I asked how the paint is lookin, and he said looks great
    And yes it was cut and buffed.
    4 coats, let it sit a week, then get after it.
    If yer a "Good Squirt" no need for 1000 or 1200
    I hit 'em with 1500, 2000 the a lite cut then polish.
    The shot of the 3, all were done in LIMCO 3 6 years ago and all still look god
    Go fer it.
    It's yer car and ter $$$$

Attached Files: