Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Here's a little story on Tex Collins...

Attached Files:

2. racer756

racer756

This is a great thread!

Thanks for sharing.

3. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

4. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

5. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

These old Cragar parts are hard to find we were lucky to get the front cover block off and the rear end plate cover, the next time you see the block off plate it will not have a hole in it. Don't you hate it when people drill holes in this stuff. We are looking at all the pictures of the car we can find to see if the rear end plate was polished or sand blasted, it kills me to think of sand blasting this cover. But we want to get this car right

Attached Files:

6. Algon

Algon

Cool stuff...

What manifold did she have? If it was a Crager I have a lead on one....

7. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

It most definitely was a cragar....if you have a lead let me know what they are asking for it! very much appreciated!

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Its your project and you can approach it the way you want,but you are going to have to put an air bleed for the front cover anyway so why worry about it.

9. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for checking out!! Keeping History alive one car at a time!! (sorry for late response!)

10. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Well we want to try and preserve that piece and I'm sure we'll come up with another means of venting the front cover...AS always though your input is very much appreciated!!

11. Algon

Algon

Hey,
    Send me a PM with your direct email address and I'll set you up with the owner.

I really need a Thompson FE blower intake or I'd have bought it already.

12. Bitchen!

Glad to see it isn't getting turned in to a hot dog cart!

Sam

13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Damn right...full restoration!!! Thanks for checking it out!!

14. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Where did you put it on the Jim Allison lee car??

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

On top of the front cover there is a fill plug and if you look hard between the tri cover top bolt and the first bolt of the starter mount plate you can barely see it. You can get small ones (1/16npt)from Littlefeild.

Personaly , I would not try and weld/fill the hole as it is too close to the lettering and could wipe it out by melting or sanding the weld and polishing it will get you a brite spot at the weld. Find yourself either a brass or steel male square drive pipe plug to put in there and call it a fill hole. The way you are going at it everbody will be so impressed at the overall detail of the car as a whole that nobody is going to "pick the flyshit out of the pepper" and assume that that plug is supposed to be there.

Attached Files:

16. racer756

racer756

I have an NOS cast one of the rear plate that I would trade you, mine could stand to be bead blasted to clean all the "stuff" off it from sitting.

PM me.

17. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks Bruce for the input and I really like the "fly shit out of the pepper" reference.

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I really appreciate the offer(s) and advice. I think were're going to try and plug it and make it look as if was never messed with (which will be possible with some care). It's our first restoration and I want this thing to be dead on as much as possible. I want Gary to see this car like it was when he had it...I want him to refresh all those memories of putting this thing together and having great times with it.
    Thanks to all you guys that are keeping an eye on this thread and again thanks for all your input. I'll be asking and looking for more in the future!!

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hey Robert were the valve covers on ebay the ones you were looking for? I was thinking that you needed the type that had just the M/T logo in the center ,no bar underneath, all my buddys that have called me with ford covers had the newer style so i've been telling them to keep looking,Just checking Tim Jones

20. I seriousley doubt the original engine even *had* a vent valve for the blower.
    There was a guy in www.classicfunnycarboard.com that had an unmolested Cragar tri-plate.
    If it didnt have a pressure vent valve in 1965,why does it need one now?
    Thats s great project,& its cool to see guys building their old cars that were close to their heart.My dad used to race Gary alot in CJs Competition Eliminator class with the car in my avatar pic to the left,,,lottsa fun.
    Troy Cagle

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Hey Tim,

No they weren't what I needed for the car but I had been looking for a set like that to experiment with. So it worked out either way. I appreciate you giving me the heads up on those. I'll be able to use them for sure!

22. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Hey Troy,

Cool car and cool pic of your dads old car. Did your dad ever tell you some sweet stories of racing back in the day against Gary (unless you were lucky enough to be there)? I'm sure he and Gary really went after it.
    Thanks for checking it out
    Robert Casado (chuy)

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

All back to it's former glory... Not bad I think.

Attached Files:

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Nice work, Zoomed in on the pic couldn't even spot where it was welded ,

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Original steering wheel getting cleaned up. Not very exciting but it's original. Things were a little crude back then, the mounting holes are drilled off center. Kind of funny actually.

Attached Files:

26. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Just got back from Prietos taco party. Newhouse cagle lit off along with a few others. Troy, I'll try to post it to you tube and post it here...

27. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Clutch cross shaft for the can... Always excited to get new parts!!

Attached Files:

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

All wrapped up to protect it from the rain...on it's way to a super top secret location :)

Attached Files:

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Does anyone know of anybody that worked at Bellflower auto center back in the 60's?? I hope somebody will pop up. I have lots of questions to ask about the chassis build. On page 1 of the thread I have an old ad listed that might help jog somebody's memory.

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

First pic.... Tabs were welded on a long time ago when this was a jr fueler...second pic. We lined the motor up with the rear end and made new brackets. Ain't she neat?

Attached Files: