Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '50 chevy coupe project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsport, Mar 29, 2010.

1. todztoyz

todztoyz

I'm trying to keep up!

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      358.5 KB
      Views:
  2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

When I was doing my 53, the Astro van rear end was too wide. I used a 4WD S-10 rear end. Be careful, because the 2WD S-10 rears are wider. Early 60's Broncos are a good source for the perfect fit also. I got mine for $150 local, it's a 28 spline 9" with a 350 gear.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think he meant the driveshaft, not the rear end.
    He already has an S-10 rear end under the coupe.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Oops, Ok - carry on.:eek:

5. Lookin good, I finally got some time to put in on my 49 gasser coupe.......body going on the rotisserie.........just parted out a 50 and got some needed goodies........cut up the rest and yielded a hundred bucks in scrap.....the hundred will buy something for the car other than coffee money! Yep... put it towards the Metal/Flake wheel:). Great thread.....shows a lot of interest in these cars:cool:.

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ya got it backwards 2wd rears are narrower than the 4x4 rear's :)

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I could have sworn, but the 4wd's do have the backset wheels to fit the tire under the body. I was wrong once before, hell, it was even in this thread in my previous post.:rolleyes:

8. metalix_421

metalix_421

I cant remember now but I think it was 54 inches. Ill try to get out to messure it again tonight after I get off work.

9. metalix_421

metalix_421

x2 but I have one if you sitting here if you want it to see for your self I have no use for it. I dont have a s10 just a 50 that it doesnt fit under:D

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

not to confuse anyone but the s-10 blazers are a really good fit. that what im running.
    Alot of the 4 bangers s-10 came with 4.11 gears. but hardley any posi units.

MrC.

11. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

nice keep up the good work

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

x2 but I have one if you sitting here if you want it to see for your self I have no use for it. I dont have a s10 just a 50 that it doesnt fit under:D

13. metalix_421

metalix_421

14. gsport

gsport

i went out and made me up a new alternator mount to get it up off the frame, seems like it'll work just fine...
    [​IMG]

15. todztoyz

todztoyz

Been wondering about you. You been doing much in the shed? I got my engine, tranny, rearend in. Working on swing pedal and column now.

16. gsport

gsport

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear your back is fixed. You're moving almost as slow as I am . . . but you're moving! You're moving.

18. Slow is OK, I have been doing the same operation to a '47 chevy and it has taken 5 years and I am at about the same place. Great looking car you have there. BTW I have the CE with 2" dropped spindles but do not have it set up yet, will have to wait to see how it sits/rides.

19. gsport

gsport

i think the next project is going to make me up a jig to put on my floor jack to hold the doors up and level, so i can remove them and try to get them aligned better. sometimes i hate working by myself....

20. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Jim- I don't have room for more tools :)

I'm just going to use an engine leveler with my crane to pull my doors safely. I need to redo the bottoms a bit. Once nearly in place, it's amazing what you can do with a 4x4 and a floor jack :)

I hate and love working alone. I just wish it was warmer. Picked up a new set of wheels for my car (original steel wheels) and I can't even get them out of the truck - the gate and tonneau covers are frozen shut. lol.

21. gsport

gsport

hmmm David.... ya got me thinkin again. i think i'm going to use my leveler and do just that. that's a great idea, and i won't have to make up another one time use tool.... thanks :)

22. gsport

gsport

well lately it seems to be two steps forward and one step back... i decided i really needed to fill the holes in the firewall before i do much more, so out came the engine.. again.. and i also welded up the holes left behind from the clutch, brake, and gas pedal...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Israel Casarez

Israel Casarez
    from Inglewood

keep it up keep it up looking good.

24. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Looking good
    I did the same thing, heres some shots.
    I had a few other challanges, like the firewall recess and having to move the barke booster to the far right to clear the valve covers.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  25. Show us your vision!

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Progress! Glad to see you back at it.

27. gsport

gsport

man, i've been on this project for over two years now. thought i'd at least have it back on the road by now.... glad it's only a project, and i don't have any deadlines to keep. i just keep telling myself it's a "retirement project" and to tinker on it when i get the urge.

28. gsport

gsport

well, the urge hit me again... i got the fenders back on and now have to fiddle with them to get good gaps.. going to put it back on the lift and loosen up everything and try to move them forward a bit. right now they are still too close, and the doors hit when opening them... GRRRRRRRRR
    [​IMG]

29. todztoyz

todztoyz

Must be the spring time air! Most of my time is going towards the 57. Gotta have something to drive this summer. Besides that, the next move on the 51 is custom headers...very exspensive. Lookin good Gsport.

30. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

What's mustang 2 set up u runnin thanks