Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The '41 Merc chop......(((NEW PICS)))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 562roadster

562roadster

The '41 merc is one of my favs. The Bob Tormey merc says it all.

Bob-Tormey's-1941-Mercury.jpg

and another picture so you can see the flow of the rear window.

Bob-tormey-1941-mercury-color2.jpg

2. Pete

Pete

OK, I like it....

3. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

friend did my old merc in a week end.I think I would have took more out the rear.get the tail draggin think it will be fine.but I do like the slanted post and layed back window look better

Attached Files:

4. Pete

Pete

Carlos,

I like your chop, but personally I like them a bit harder. The only problem with doing a hard chop is you run out of room in the back. The rear of the Ford roof are something like 3 inches taller when stock so in order to get the rear of the roof down enough to make is fade away yo have to take roughly 3 to 4 more inches out of the back....

Pete-

5. I think this rendering is damn close. I like a heavy chop. I'd prefer the b pillar slanted forward.
    Either way..... it's looking good.

6. Pete

Pete

Im gonna try and get to my shop tomorrow after work and move a few things around, its all just tacked right now.

Pete-

7. Wow thats the shit there drop the ass and your done ;)

8. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

the heavy chop is fine BUT why make that ugly way too long package area even longer? It makes the quarter window way too short, I know eveyone has an opinion , just my two cents. this is a rare car and deserves to be chopped right, and I think the slanted posts make it more of a modern street rod type chop. I feel these cars look best without slanted posts. And I am not bagging on you, just giving my worthless opinion. But please, look it over real hard before welding it in place.

9. striper

striper

10. Smokey2

Smokey2

Ya' gotta'lot good ideas commin' at you fast......put'em in a Hat an draw names...........
    My two cents,
    It definitly needs the swoop look, but don't make the quarter winder toooo small. someone recently did a post on how they achieved that,
    and James D (as usual ) is Right Again ! Adding rear wheels did help, but you don't have to see them !, just knowing the're THERE, Is Enough (dig-it ???) Good Posts. Thanks. (Slanted 'B' Pillars beb' round since '40's..........Where does the "modern' opinion come from?
    _____________quote: "you want $20 to just primer tha' whole car ?, and You expect Me to furnish the Paint. ?? Good Luck ! " Smoked-up, on a Sunday Night, in Tenneessee :cool: :cool:

11. [​IMG]
    -Dave

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  12. flash

flash

That is freakin beautiful!!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  13. Drop Two of "DEEZ NUTZ " in the trunk and you will be fine

14. Thanks flash! I wish I could take credit for the chop, but it was done quite a while ago by Barry Mazza and his fellow car club members. I am a bit biased, but I think they got the lines absolutely right on this car and I wanted to post it here as one example of a chopped '41.

Pete, you picked the perfect car.. The '41 Merc makes an awesome c(k)ustom! I'm looking forward to watching this one move along - subscribed!

p.s. I must confess to Photoshopping out the flames that are currently on the car, but the rest of the image as you see it here is just as she looks. :eek:

-Dave

15. Pete

Pete

UPDATE!

Made some changes....

Dropped the rear.
    Raised the front of the roof 1.5 inches
    Raised the rear about 1 inch
    Kicked the bottom of the rear window out
    Changed the angle of the upper deck lid panel.

Im really liking it now!

Still a shit ton left, most of its just tacked for mock-up but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

16. Pete

Pete

I agree with not slanting the B-pillars,,,,,just doesn't look right on this car.

I still have some tweaking here and there but its coming together.

Pete-

17. Pete

Pete

What a difference.

Attached Files:

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Pete,I think it looks great

19. Looking real good!

20. Looookinggg goood! That's a profile that's hard to beat!

-Dave

21. That looks much better Pete! Early Mercs rock my world...

22. Way better!!!

23. Rikster

Rikster

Just my personal opinion...

The 1941 Ford and Mercury coupe models are amongst my most favorite cars ever, and turning one into a Custom Car is just the best thing that can happen to these cars.

From the factory these cars have a really great design already. The body is mostly very well balanced. Yes it can be improved, at least I - as a Custom Car enthusiast - think they can be improved.

Chopping the top on these long door coupes is not an easy task, but with many great samples from the past (mostly Fords, but they can serve here as a good sample as well) we know it can be done. These samples can be used to inspire and guide people when it comes to chopping the top on these cars.

One of the most beautiful things on the coupe tops is the perfect balance between the thickness of the roof, the a-pillars, window moldings and the c-pillar. The c-pillar is always a bit heavier than the roof thickness when viewed from the side. This creates a perfect balance and a bit more body at the back of the car where you need it. This especially looks perfect on the longer nose Mercury's.

On your chop the c-pillar looks about the same thickness as the horizontal position of the roof. In my eyes this is very much out of balance. This in combination with the shorter roof it looks like the whole passenger compartment is shifted forward. The whole wonderful balance of a 1941 Mercury with its long nose is gone now. The too long package shelled behind the top make the long hood - that indicates a powerful engine - much shorter.

The way I see the chop you have created does not need to much to get really perfect. The side window openings look good, chopped more in the back is something we have seen done on at least one very nice Barris Custom, and can work well. The long rear quarter window looks great as well, but the rear of the top needs to move back several inches till about halfway the turret panel. The quarter window can stay where it is.
    Then the top will be really in balance… at least to me.

But... what do I know!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  24. Pete

Pete

I really appreciate all of the comments, I really do!

One of the things I was trying to reduce is that bulky C-pillar area,,,just seems most folks chop these cars the same way, they leave the package tray the same length and just push the window down and fill the gaps. Im after something a bit different, its not 100% done yet, still needs some tweaking.....

Ill keep everybody posted on the progress.

Pete-

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2--#7 is wacked.

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like the progress in the latest set of pics. and i think maybe rik's concerns will be addressed when the gap behind the quarter window is filled in. or maybe he is seeing something i'm not. which is quite likely...

27. Here´s about where you are - with a little smoothing...

[​IMG]

28. Looks like an old Plymouth,better go back to the drawin board...
    the thing about this style Ford/ Mercs is the shape of the quarter glass and its relation in =SIZE= to the rear C pillar and the door glass......
    your quarter glass is bunched up and the rear C pillar is too heavy in appearance.

29. Pete

Pete

Im confused....now the C-pillar is too heavy???

30. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Proportions look great! Very nice. Seems to me the roof is slopped perfectly.