Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Pontiac custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by volksjunky, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Looking good. I've enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing. Good to see more ponchos on here the last couple of years. I have a '52 chief that I'm getting ready to start on.

Ed

2. castleman1111

castleman1111

great work!!! i have three!! two 53s and a 54!! don't get addicted like me!!lmao!!! keep up the good work..wish i lived closer!! id suck up all the original parts you don't want...

3. volksjunky

volksjunky

Wow,thanks on the compliments !
    Ive been pretty busy on this thing,got the engine bay cleaned up and primed. Got the motor and tranny situated and got the front air ride mounted.
    Waiting for some flat head style mounts to show up so I can finish the front mount. Will blow everything apart after that and paint everything under the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. volksjunky

volksjunky

The motor will be done up more factory looking, I like the headers and they will work well for my exhaust plans.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. I like you styling treatment to the front end. I been working on a Canadian 52 poncho.
    The hardtop is very cool.

6. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

keep those front airbag pics coming!!

7. Smokey2

Smokey2

Thanks fer all the photos, Some R little too Close, not used to seeing magnified grinder marks, took me few lool cees to figger out what tha' pic was ! But otherwise, GREAT COVERAGE............I have (rough ) 53 tudor, tryin' to de-side what / where I wanna' go with it ? You have great Ideas, Keep US Posted , OK ? Fine !

8. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Looking killer man, keep the pics coming.

9. volksjunky

volksjunky

It's so simple its hilarious. the cups are for a 65 Impala,welded a piece of allthread to it and ran it though the stock shock mount.I will end up clearancing the lower A arm around the lower bag a little after I blow it all apart.

10. volksjunky

volksjunky

This iPhone app shit is pretty sweet !
    Some more front end pics, just a generic shock bolt with a 3/16 plate . The upper shock mount is from the Impala kit. Would be easy to duplicate .there is a nut welded to the back of the 3/16 plate on the lower shock mount. Drilled it though so I can weld the bolt to the A arm.
    This car will not lay frame !

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. love your metal work. i welded my gas door on my chev, and shrunk in the lower left corner, SHIT. my old man would have dug your mods.

12. Noland

Noland

wow awesome thread. You just made me like pontiacs. I really like the whole front end treatment. Glad you smoothed the hood looks so much better. keep up the good work.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Looks like you're getting busy with that engine compartment!

Curious to see your engine mount. I've got to temporarily mount a 389 in my '53 Poncho to get it on a trailer. But permanent mounting I was thinking about a front mount like that as well.

How is your steering box? Did you have to rebuild it or are you planning on rebuilding it? I've been hearing that these boxes are sort of a pain. What do you know?

14. volksjunky

volksjunky

Thanks!
    Scoot, havent touched the box yet.I had the top off it (i cut one corner off) it looks and feels good. I will pull it out and check it out and paint it in the next few weeks.
    I really like the idea of the front mount,it will look sooo much cleaner.Everyone of these cars Ive seen with side mounts lack something.It just looks so obvious its a transplant. Hopefully the mounts will pop up in the next few days to get it finished up.

15. volksjunky

volksjunky

Came up with this little idea tonight, used some tubing close to the size of a shock. Looks a lot cleaner than the all thread. Getting ready to pull the rest of the suspension and start sandblasting' !

Attached Files:

16. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Looking good,,,how did you airbag the back?

Rob

17. volksjunky

volksjunky

I havent started the back yet. Im thinking im just gonna do a four link and a small C notch. "laying frame " is not my goal. The only reason Im really bagging it is the simple fact that I cant get the look that I want and have a car thats friendly to drive up here. So atleast this way I have some adjustability and I wont beat my car to death on shitty Alaska roads.

18. mob53

mob53

I'm concerned the bottom of your bags will rub on your lower A-arms. How do they look when they're compressed. I'm only asking cuz I have the same car and am in the process of installing front bags on the front as well. Here's how I did mine.

[​IMG]

19. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

nice build, building a 54 pontiac post for a customer. impressive thread and nice progress!

20. volksjunky

volksjunky

You are totally correct on the lower arms. I will be taking a small crescent shaped cut off on each side of the bag. If I put about a one inch spacer under the bag it wouldnt even be an issue.

21. volksjunky

volksjunky

Haven't posted pics in a while. I have Been working away, just trying to get stuff blasted and painted etc.
    I have a lot o stuff mocked that I need to weld, my welder at home is on the puss side so I'll get it all done when I blow it all apart.

22. volksjunky

volksjunky

Attached Files:

23. volksjunky

volksjunky

Had to cut the depression out of the frame where the original fuel pump was. Used flat head style mounts for the front mount.

24. volksjunky

volksjunky

Finished up the shift linkage today, just shortened the original arm , I did have to make the lever for the tranny. Seems to work well !

Attached Files:

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

26. Looking good indeed. What are the exhast manafolds/headers off of?

27. volksjunky

volksjunky

Thanks ! They are Sanderson cast baluminum headers.

28. Smokey2

Smokey2

I'ma Definitley following "tha' Build' !!!! Proud of you matal fabs and weldin abilities,
    You a Lucky "muthar"........

Continue posing, Good photos.
    (My 53 Poncho needs lot'a metal work..........thinking of going Rat's Ville !

Smoked-up, in tha' GREAT Smokey Mts. of Tenn-i-cee.

29. jhutch713

jhutch713

Great work, I'm ready for you to get her finished up... maybe if I just watch your build, I won't have to build my own. mwwaaahaahhaha.

30. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

What kind of uprights are those? Custom fabbed?