Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - The Final Chapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Congrats on your decision to come to NC! I moved here from NY in 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made.

You already know that we have some great cars and people here, you will fit right in. Can't wait to see your car in person.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Here's the update...

Basically, I have to have the car looking like a car by the end of the week! Under some serious pressure now. So, I've gotta' stay jamming!

Lizard Skin is down, body is pretty much ready for the epoxy seal coat, and the roof is 95% done. Laid a TON of rivets this weekend! But, it was cool to see the roof coming together!

Big thanks to Chris Chasny for hooking me up with his applicator gun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the tape pulled. Everything will get coated with semi-gloss, medium grey, acrylic urethane inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While all that was drying, I focused on the roof. Had a TON of holes to drill, countersink, and rivet!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man!

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks buddy! First thing I ever really flush riveted! :eek::D

5. Roof is looking good Scott!!

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I noticed when I was done riveting the roof. It was WAY lighter than with all those clecos in it!

[​IMG]

Thanks man!! :cool:

7. Do you happen to work in the aircraft industry? Nice rivet work.

[​IMG]

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Not yet!! :D Thanks! I feel like I'll be ready to build an airplane after putting this thing together, though! :eek::eek:

The roof is probably from from meeting any FAA standards, but it certainly will hold together well in the wind and keep the inside dry.

9. You are a sick man. Wanna come help skin the lakester on your way across the country? ;)

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha!! One thing is for sure... Hopefully health insurance at the new job will cover a "hot rod shrink". I'm gonna' need one by the time I'm done. Which thankfully will be when my insurance will have long matured... :rolleyes:

11. oj

oj

That there 3rd rivet from the left looks a little loose to me, what do you guys say?

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Actually, it's got a little bit of sealer on the top of it... :rolleyes:

13. 4tford

4tford

you do nice work. The car is looking great!

14. oj

oj

Just kidding Scoot, it looks like a perfect job to me.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thing you don't see what I KNOW is there!! HAHA! :eek::eek: A few spots where I didn't have the riveter PERFECTLY aligned and it walked. I'll have to try and straighten those areas.

Crap... I just gave away the secret.

Thanks man!

16. Hey Scooter, You have been building this thing for so long all my hair has turned grey! Excellent work as always my friend! Can't wait to see the finished product.

17. n847

n847

Damn thats clean...Nice work!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd be temped to leave those rivets as they are. DA the heck out of the top and prine & paint it, It will have a "Bugatti Look" to it. Bob

19. Gotta subscribe to one more of your threads! I was hoping to see your Murray one day here in California. ...good luck with the move.

20. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I woundn't mind learning more on how to set that kind of rivit. maybe a tech write up?

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the words, guys!

Shoot, Smitty! You should see what I'm pulling out of MY scalp and beard! HAHA! Thanks buddy! And DAMN, it's been a long time since I've seen you! :eek:

Yeah Bob, I'm going to make sure the rivets can be seen for sure. I'll do a DA with fine grit and then I'm probably going to do a nice front-to-back line grain to finish it off, for now. It will stay raw until I figure out what to do with it. If it gets painted or coated with anything I'll do it after all the paint is done. I want to see how it looks in it's raw form and then I'll probably photoshop it with color on it.

I'm not sure why, but riveting is sort of addicting. It's really kind of therapeutic, in a way. I can totally do a tech thread on it. I'll do one on flush head rivets as well as standard (domed) rivets. They are easy to set and the process is amazingly quick, actually. It's mostly about just having a good riveting tool set.

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Whoa!!!!!

that's so freakin' Cool Scooter!!!!!

[​IMG]

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update on the roof. It's basically done. I just have to make the clamps to clamp it tight to the car. Also, the last few inches of the support beads will have to be riveted as well, but it can't be done until the back edge has been finished. It needs a final fit so everything seats properly. That probably won't get done until after paint is finished.

I seriously wish I could explain in words how much WORK this roof was! But it really was fun to make!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I'm taking the shocks over to be re-indexed. These shocks came to me all as "Right Hand". Only ONE of the four was able to be used in it's current configuration. The rest have to have the arm removed and pressed back on in the correct location so it has the correct amount of travel. Not doing this would destroy the shock on the first bump. OR, break something on the mounts or links.

Five Points Classic Auto Shocks, in Santa Ana, will be doing the work. http://www.classicautoshocks.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 73RR

73RR

...some of us can only dream of making sheetmetal look like this....;)

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The outside is nice but this is the shot that does it for me. It's just breathtaking!!!
    [​IMG]

I like the post-apocalyptic feel on these pics. Like I said, this car looks like something from the end of times.....or something conjured up by the 3rd Reich.

26. Your work is (nearly :D ) flawless! Awesome insert, and I'm with JJ....the interior of the top is NUTTTTS! Just watch yo' head getting in and out! Edges like that tend to leave a mark!

27. volksjunky

volksjunky

This thing is so bad ass man, it would take me twenty years to think up half the shit youve done to this thing !

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are making me blush... Thanks! Now if only I could learn to do things FASTER! :eek::eek:

29. ^^^^Doesn't take much for a Ginger! :D

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick update...

Body is sealed. I can finally touch this thing without worrying about starting a rusty hand print. It also shows EVERY imperfection in the body. Sounds bad, but it's a good thing. All the areas with body work done are looking real good so far. I guess the sealer will just server as a big guide coat for me.

Next step: reassembly, roof clamps, and prep for a trailer. I also need to make sure everything is okay with the Hemi. Gotta' squirt a little more oil down in the bores and turn it over a couple times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]