Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. trksmth

trksmth

I have a TOT-SEE safety Auto Seat that was Patented in 1943, was applied for in 1942. It mounts with out seat belts. Seat belts weren't mandatory till about 1968 in most states. A study was done in 1959 and I read the 16,000 children were injured in autos, the year studied. Good luck finding one with a steering wheel. I have searched to find out about my seat and there's not much out there. The only info on mine, was from the Patent license and the label on the bottom. Mike

2. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Id buy that for a dollar.

Attached Files:

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Hell Yeah! Any time I can save 35 cents on a purchase, I'm all over it!

4. Attention: trksmth Is the TOT SEE for sale ?
    Thanks Wayne

5. wsdad

wsdad

Do you realize that your post is number 175 in this thread, so the people who don't care to read through 175 posts about car seats before posting themselves will never see it?

Who reads 175 posts about car seats, anyway (except you and me)?

Besides, several people have already complained about this in previous posts. Why are you bringing it up again? Really! Go back and read all of them again and you'll think I'm as right as I think I am. I love looking at myself. I'm so shiny - not like all of my subjects who annoy me by ignorant re-posts. (Insert angelic music here.) Adore me and I'll feel good - which should be reward enough for the likes of you. (End music.)

(Yes, I realize that my complaining about your complaining makes me a hypocrite. But I just get tired of people who get tired of people. Why can't we all just get along???)

By the way, I really think the original poster should consider getting a modern car seat. Those old ones could poke an eye out as quick as you can snap your fingers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. So, I guess you'd prefer I just mindlessly mimmick everyone else so as not to upset your delicate balance? :rolleyes:

And now your comment has brought you down to my lowly level.... welcome.;) If you don't like what I have to say, and my "holy attitude", feel free to use the ignore button. At least that way you don't have to prove yourself to be just as much of an ass as I am, and you can keep your horse so much cleaner up here away from those peasants.:D

Just so as to make you happy: I think the OP should build his own modern car seat (those old ones are dangerous), in photoshop, because the old one he's talking about never really existed. Back in the day all we had was Dad's arm, and scars, and besides, those old ones are really dangerous. So, he should probably just use photoshop, because they never really existed. That better?;):)

7. Use this one so your little one can multitask as well. :D

Attached Files:

8. In the late 40's we made the trip from to California to Missouri and back in our 38 Desoto Coupe. Mom, Sister and Dad in the front seat with the windshield cranked out, me on the hat shelf. I have had a great tan every since then.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I was born in '52 and youngest brother in '62, we all went from Mom's lap to sitting on seat next to Mom, then to a 10" X 10" X 10" wooden box until we could see over the back of the front seat without an "assjack" of Dad's '48 then his '60 chevy 2 doors.

10. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

This is what Austin-Healey thought was a good idea for a child's seat in the Bugeye Sprite in 1958:
    [​IMG]

Should've called it the "Kiddie Launcher".

12. trksmth

trksmth

I'm not looking to sell it, but it is in cool all original condition from the war era. It has to be rare.
    I can take some more pics if anybody wants to see them. The bottom has cool old pics in the instructions.

Attached Files:

13. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Who reads 175 posts about car seats, anyway (except you and me)?

I started reading the last page just to see why it's still going......[/QUOTE]

I'm gob-smacked this thread has got to 194 posts actually. More responses than most build threads.....including mine.

Oooops, just added to it.:D

14. Hallelujah...I found and bought one yesterday ( red and white with a little red steering wheel ). I advertised in a rural newspaper and a nice lady found one in her attic !
    So to the 9500 readers my heartfelt appreciation ! To the 160 plus replies I very much thank you. I will post a picture of the new find as soon as I can.
    Again I thank everyone that is connected to the site and the people that tried to help. I even thank those that did not like the post !
    Best Regards, Wayne

15. SIC98

SIC98

Cool, glad you found one Wayne, its a neat story, I gotta admit I was looking for one at every antique store and thrift shop I went to for you, its funny what you find when your looking for something else.?. Can't wait to see the family photo...Brian

16. Thanks Brian
    You and many others are very kind ! Thanks for your efforts !
    I am much obliged !
    Wayne

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

or back window with the dog!
    child restaint--- was my ole man backhand slapping back in the rear seat!:D

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Cool! can't wait to see pictures.-----chuck

19. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

This thread brought back a lot of memories, for a lot of people.

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I want a vintage 1950s iPad.[​IMG]

21. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I'm only 32 but distinctly remember a lack of car seats, belts, etc...and things like my cousin rolling out the door during a sweeping left turn through an intersection or the time I flew from the rear of the van to the dash in a crash, wife did the same thing and has the scars to prove it. Or the time...oh man I'm actually glad some things have changed.

That doesn't really add anything to this thread, but I wish the OP luck in finding an old seat, I think it would be a great prop!

22. Congratulations man! Glad to hear you found what you were after!

23. Fortress

Fortress

I used to ride in the middle like that in my dads 58 vette all the time.

24. Mike W.

Mike W.

Sure did, especially in the winter as the heat blew under the front seat.

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

glad to hear you found one.

26. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

If anyone else needs one, I just found my kidde seat cleaning out my Dad's attic. Still in great shape. Either p.m. me or e-mail at [email protected].

27. raymay

raymay

Never remember having any kids car seats in the 50's. Stood a lot in the back seat behind dad always asking "Are we there yet". If you were in the front seat and the car stopped fast, dad always put his arm in front of you to keep you from sliding forward.
    Good memories and we seemed to survive those years. Now I have 3 grandsons and a pile of *&%*$# booster seats for each of my old cars. Still fun and hopefully making good memories for them.

Attached Files:

28. I was born in '67, I don't personally recall wearing a seat belt until sometime around 1987.

29. 40Pickup

40Pickup
    from Denver, PA

My most memorable experience with 50s era kid seating was with my toddler brother. Dad drove a '52(?) Studebaker Starlight which had the handbrake below the middle of the dash. One day dad pulled up to the curb and got out for just a second, carefully setting the handbrake. Now dad didn't know my little brother could lean forward in his car seat and grab the brake handle. No sooner did dad go inside than my brother reached up and released the brake letting the car roll away from the curb and down the street! :eek: Standing in the backseat the wheel and the brake were out of reach for a seven-year-old.......so I bailed out! Luckily dad was pretty fast on his feet in those days and my brother lived to tell the tale.