Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailering to faraway events.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moose223

Moose223

isn't the goal(IMHO) to build your ride to do the Billetproof, balls to the wall and be a part of that illustrious group that does it. I ain't done it yet so I can't brag on it. I shall soon.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. 65stepside

65stepside

Don
    aww man you made me spit my drink all over my keyboard

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

If I had a Cadillac like the one in your avatar, there's no way I could pry myself out of it to haul it anyway. It all depends on what you're driving.

4. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Haha....Maybe if i got the seats fixed (they look pretty, but lean back way too far). They hurt MY back, and I don't have any health issues.

5. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

The best part of going to a long distance run is the trip getting there.
    We have a run over here called tri-state its in Renmark Sth Australia and borders with New South Wales and Victoria, for me its 460 miles one way and takes about 7 hours to get there, I've done the trip 6 times and tried various highways to get there as they are all rough as guts.
    My coupe has no air con, no heater 3 inch pipes, buggy spring front and rear and a halibrand quickchange so the trip is not the quietest, the car is covered in stone chips but once a year still gets polished top to bottom including the undercarriage, driven it in extreme hot weather and torrential downpours and could never imagine it on a trailer.
    However when it comes to trailers I hate the look at me brigade that trailer there ornaments everywhere and never drive them, will never understand it, although I can understand guys who always drive there cars and only trailer them in certain circumstances, yep trailered cars I guess will always be a bone of contention.
    As for gearing, love my quickchange, always good to flip those spurgears around for the highway.

6. Kenny P

Kenny P

I know....
    Alan, just stop having these Billetproof shows.
    No Billetproof, no bitching!
    :)

***I thought the guy who parked his truck and trailer AND unloaded car in the host hotel lot was a bit much, REALLY, 3 spaces?!!!!!! C'MON!!!

7. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

"It is better to travel well than arrive,".

That being said, why build a car that's anything BUT desirable to drive?
    The coolest part about an old car is saying "Yea, it runs like a top," to people who don't know.

But when you're cruising down the highway and some no-nothing, shitbox driving goof see's your car and thinks "it's not solid enough to make it to whatever destination you've selected", well, that just loses points for everyone who considers themselves a hot rodder (and not a bench rodder,).

My bottom line?
    Old cars at car shows MAKE the shows, despite how they got there.
    But it stinks when a died-in-the-wool "hot rodder" looks like a "poser" on the open road.
    (I feel the same way about using "chase vehicles")

Just sayin'

8. I don't know if it is faraway but the only time my truck will be on a trailer is if its broke and I can't fix it on the side of the road, with that being said I wouldn't use my Model A roadster for long trips over 250 miles because my legs would cramp up. On longer trips I use the 36 p/u only because of more room for my long legs. And yes those with closed cabs and a/c really do not have the fun of enjoying a ride down the central valley in the am when the smells of all the cattle are issuing forth and filling your senses, along with all the bugs flying forth at evening time.............................
    and I'm 67 going on 16...................

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

More like 70 mph for fifteen hours. Depart the vicinity of Tinker AFB around 0900, at home in Las Vegas before dark (in the summer).

10. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

The issue for me..
    I have the Jaguar roadster that I drive a lot..but 100 miles or so one way.. and back in the SAME DAY. 200 miles

Parking my open roadster along the highway at a hotel is foolish. So I just don't go that far with it.
    [​IMG]
    The 1953 Stude is a coupe..and it can go anywhere..

So it's not just about comfort.

It locks..and alarms..

11. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I can see both sides of this coin. I drive my 32 sedan to all the shows/runs I go to, but I'm building a rpu and will be 70 or older by the time its finished. So I'm thinking trailer. Not that it will be a "queen" either. It's just that time tales its toll. If I was still 35 or 40 no problem, also five (5) back surgerys also come into play. Would love to go to the Lonestar Roundup but thats about 500 miles and even in my sedan thats hard on the ass. Give some of the old rodders a little slack. OK?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

bingo!!!

13. Don, at 66 years young you've more than earned the right to do whatever it is you want to do. I've no right to say if you should or shouldn't trailer a car nor do the ass-clowns on here with their comments. Theres no way to explain to the cock-strong youngsters on here the effects of age. To answer your question and not tell you how I do things, I see no problem with you trailering a car, your entitled to it.

14. Choptop

Choptop

if they are both traditionally styled (read the Billetproof rules for a rough guideline)... sure they would get in.

again, the Billetproof rules dont say "no trailered cars".... they say "no trailer queens".... there is a difference.

I look at this way... some folks trailer their cars for a variety of reasons, the reasons are multiple and complex... if you enjoy driving your no top, open header, no suspension, race geared car for hours on end on the freeway... knock your self out. Have a ball. If you dont, no is requiring you to... if someone else dont like it, so what?

Personally, I've been there and done that with rides (care and bikes) that I consider uncomfortable (for long periods of time)... and therefore NOT FUN to me.

Building/driving/showing a hot rod or custom is about HAVING FUN with it. If driving it for hours at highway speed doesnt bring enjoyment, why do it to try and "prove" something to someone else?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why does any real street car need open headers and 4.30 gears?

I can give about three reasons for trailering a car to an event.

1. Your body can't handle riding in a rod that far. Bad backs, bad hips and artie kicking your butt every time the weather changes.
    2. You are on a serious extended vacation that includes hitting all the scenic spots and working in a rod trot every weekend with the significant other and the dog in the motor home towing the rod.
    3. The rod is an old survivor that hasn't been blown apart and redone and a hard road trip would probably kill it.
    4. Your gas tank is so small and your car drinks so much gas that your buddies or club members won't do road trips with you anymore. = Blown big block T bucket with 5 gallon gas tank.

The pathetic excuses for trailering a rod or custom to an event include: I don't want to get it dirty and have to spend time cleaning it up before the show, I don't want to put miles on it and cause a loss in value, My wife/girlfriend won't ride in it. And It's too damned loud to drive on the road for four hours.

Maybe the best thing at Billetproof or any rod trot that says no trailers is to put a T on the sticker for the windshield along with the number which means "trailered/not eligible for awards. That would allow the vehicle to be there and solve any issues about a driven car getting knocked out of an award by a trailered to get a trophy car.

16. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

Here's the kicker, the guy that took the "big" trophy for Billetproof, FLA 2012 trailered his car because it doesn't run well and he can't see out of it. That's a "World Of Wheels" show car trailer queen and it won the show. Florida car trailered to a Florida show and driven across the street. That's a pretender, which is what I thought this particular franchised show was supposed "cure" about modern car shows.
    We were working on our cars in the Microtel parking lot to prepare for the 375 trip back home when the winner tried to pull his truck on the trailer and it would barely run. Took him 20 minutes to get it up the ramp and on the trailer.
    We drove flatheads with 4.11's and the tops down over 700 miles and had a great time. We just had to chuckle when we noticed most of the trailers were from Florida and Ocala is in the middle of the state. I could care less if you came from a long way away with your car. Billetproof isn't in everybody's home town and I think anyone that wants to enjoy it should figure out the best way for them to do it.
    Maybe a thread should be titled, "Trailering your SHOW car to NEARBY Billetproof."

Chad
    See below

Attached Files:

17. Choptop

Choptop

he built a radical rod, he did it himself, its all documented here on the HAMB. Excellent engineering, very well executed and he just finished it. Very much in the spirit of Billetproof.

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, looks VERY traditional to me....:rolleyes:

19. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

Couldn't drive it to the show. Quite traditional? I'm not bagging on the truck or the quality or the style. HE built what he built. Couldn't drive it to the show.

Z

20. This hits the nail on the head for me, my back is shot and it sure doesn't like long drives no matter what I'm driving.
    I enjoy driving my roadster bucket, the exhaust and wind noise is really loud and the weather can get you too. My back can only handle a couple hrs over that and I'm glad to get out and change positions . I trailered it to Missouri a couple years back but drove the piss out of it once down there, I have no problem with that.

21. I guess it boils down to being able to drive a hot rod or custom long distance,,age has a way of working on a lot of us older Hambers and fortunately I haven't had to haul a car to the destination of a show.

I also realize that someday I ain't gonna be able to drive my little 32 pickup for several hours on end like I do now.

I won't say I will never haul a car but as long as I am physically able to drive I will. HRP

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

BUT it IS a trailer Queen.:eek:

23. At the moment, yes.

24. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Don, Trailer or no trailer. It's your ride, and I respect what ever decision

you make. :) I'm building a "bar-hopper", and I'll make my decision when

it's finished. :p

25. Your money, your car, do what YOU want! I drive my tub everywhere, even in spite of comfort and weather conditions. I wear a rain suit, drive faster, and chalk it up as another adventure : )

I have never owned anything nice enough to trailor, so I am biased to hard-driven jalopies taken to the road rather than trailored cars.

26. Choptop

Choptop

I've said my peace... some people are going to grouse and moan no matter what you do, so I do what makes sense to me. If anyone gets all tweaked out about it, thats their problem. At the end of the day its a car show, its about having fun, its not REALLY important or anything to get upset over.

Some people will go to some shows with marginal locations, loads of trailered cars from all over the country and have a ball. Others can go to a show with an awesome location, great cars and manage not have a good time because they've gotten hung up on what they think the rules should be. Or they will start complaining about a show they didnt even attend.

I think says more about the people than it does the show.

27. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

that was was finished the day b4 the show, he spent all day putting it together and drove from miami at 4am to make it to the show, the reson why we had a hard time getting it on the trailer is because the first carb was leaking it kept shutting off. yes he did trailer it from miami and he did drive it from the parking lot to the show, but if u spent all the time he did building each and every part for that truck, which if u didn't take a closer look you should cause everything was built in his garage, would you really drive up 5 hours up wit the motor taking up most of the windshield in the front? he never said he built a street car, that car was built to show his building and fabrication skills... thats my 2 cents take it how u want

28. cavman

cavman

Trailers at a car show??? My, oh my, whats next?? trailering HD's to Sturgis??

29. Choptop

Choptop

the death knell of any HAMB thread...

mods its time to shut this one down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.