Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 Billetproof Florida Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlashGumby, Mar 18, 2012.

1. FlashGumby

FlashGumby

Could've taken a lot more if I wasn't so busy gawkin'. Gorgeous day. Beautiful weather, KILLER tunes and absolutely stellar rides. Thanks to Alan and Melissa for a great time and to Big Daddy for giving a great place to hold it.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/FlashGumby/Billetproof Florida 2012/

For those that have never been, Garlits has two museums onsite, one, a Drag Racing museum, with an AMAZING collection of rails, funny cars and hot rods through the history of drag racing; Snake, Mongoose, Jungle Jim and all of Don's cars (or rebuilds of them), with a separate ENGINE museum.. an amazing homage to horsepower. The second museum is cars of interest to Don; this one is what absolutely MAKES this location for Billetproof for me, as Don seems to have both Hot Rod versions and FACTORY versions of most of the classic donors for the Hot Rod form. After looking at the fantastic creations out on the green, you can come in and see what those cars looked like from the factory and really appreciate what has been done to them.

Since it looks like next years' show will be held here as well, do your best to make the trip.

It's well worth it!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. We left early to avoid any possible rain, who were the winners of the various classes?

Don

3. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

I trashed the rear in my 55...fun none the less

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks for taking all those pics. I forgot my camera, as usual. DUH. :D

5. theylive

theylive

Rad photos! Thanks! Billet was a blast, a little warm... I think we're in for a hot summer this year! I'll be runnin' the ol' 4/60 AC

6. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Many very nicely styled and built cars, among a lot of real turds.......

CB

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks. any update on Don's Wife?

8. zzford

zzford

Speaking of turds...

Attached Files:

9. Yes, but we had a bumper crop of period PERFECT roadsters...

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

thanks for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly

11. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

x2!

12. FlashGumby

FlashGumby

I enjoyed the detail work on a lot of those "turds", and if they weren't there, it wouldn't be so easy to really appreciate the gems (and there were many of those).

13. Choptop

Choptop

the upside to this one is that no actual cars were harmed in its creation. I think a sheet metal brake was abused though. :eek::D:rolleyes:

14. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Thanks for showing the pictures.

15. You sure ? Looks like a 1932 Ford firewall. :confused:

16. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Went to dinner at Codys Roadhouse Sat. after show, Don and Pat were seated a couple booths down from us.

17. msuguydon

msuguydon

A quick word on Don & Pat, after the trophy presentation was complete and as the event was winding down, 90% of the cars where gone. Don and Pat were riding around in his golf cart looking at the remaining cars. That seems like a good sign.

18. Yeah, that was nice to see... I didn't see him but a few times during the day, but the one time I went out back there was all sorts of noises coming out of the shop.

[​IMG]

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think there was an exceptionally large numbers of turds this year, competing with each other to make up for the attention the owners never got from their mothers.

Having said that, there were an incredible number of gorgeous machines that spoke for themselves without the use of one iota of barbed wire or a single mailbox.

20. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I had a great time, hope to make it back next year.

21. THEKID49

THEKID49

I agree with you on that.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if there were that many crap rods at the Antioch show I would stop going.

23. SIC98

SIC98

There was some nice stuff out there with some serious attention to detail and craftsmanship, ...and some stuff I was affaid to walk by, but to each their own. I also thought the awards this year were top notch and the picks the trophies went to were dead on, good job to all involved, whatta gonna come up with next year?...Brian

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people look at a glass and say it's half full, others look at it and say it is half empty. Why anyone would have to say anything about a few cars that didn't fit their idea of what one should look like and taint the fact that there were hundreds of cars that did, is beyond me.

Let it go, for God's sake. Did you have a nice time? Did your car have lots of people admire it and talk to you about it? Was the atmosphere there about as good as anyone could ask for, as well as the weather and the venue ?

Those are the things that matter, and to grumble about anything only tarnishes what was one of the best days most of us have ever had at an event. If you were standing there handing out $ 100 bills there would still be someone who would complain because they are hard to break.:rolleyes:

The show was great and the people who took the pictures did a fantastic job, that is all that matters.

Don

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  25. Choptop

Choptop

take into consideration that unless the poster states they took and posted a picture of every single car at the show, you are basing your assessment based just on what they took to the time to take pictures of and post. Just taking a quick look at Flash Gumby's photos, I see maybe 4-6 janky rides.

I havent looked at allllll of the photos ( I do have a couple of discs with pics of every car that came thought the gate).... but i did walk around quite a bit and I say perhaps a handful of particularly janky rides. I just ignored what I didnt like and spent my time enjoying the overwhelming majority of rides that were there that I did like. YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... then again.. if I liked crap rods then that is what I would take pictures of and post, which would make it look like a different show than what it actually was.

there was a post a while back from some back east show that looked like a total hillbilly shit rod show. it looked that way because the guy who posted the photos only took pics of shitty cars. other posts of the same show told quite a different story.

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I look at it this way.
    Living in europe i dont get to see as many kool old cars as you guys do.
    When i lived in england ive seen so many, and very often, but since im in italy i hardly have a chance to see any.
    If i was there, other than enjoying the super beautiful cars such as the sectioned vicky i wold have enjoyed lookin at the rodents too. Not cause i like'em, cause i really dont, but because you can say what you want, but some cant be beat for a good laugh.....a trans case as a air intake? pure comedy.

28. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Was a good show.