Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailering to faraway events.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think GNICHOLS has the best comments!
    I'll just add one more.
    Putting a trailered car all neat & shiny with no bugs,rock chips,etc.-- next to a driven car with the road "badges"--at a car show is one thing, but for the trailered car owner to boast that it is driven all the time is an insult to the guys that actually do drive their rides.
    I remember in Memphis street rod nats 1975, the trophy maker found out that the reciepient trailered his roadster there & later at the motel, went to the trailered roadster & took it back!!---I took pix of the situation then.

Hell, I'm 80 this year & gettin' too old to drive like I used to, but can look back at my 300,000 miles DRIVEN from 1968 to present, & remember the 5 trips across the USA with a smile.---Like "Stroker McGurk" says, "STREET is NEAT"----Don

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While driving down I75 heading home that beautiful sectioned shoebox Ford custom passed us. The windows were up, I bet the a/c was cranking, as was the stereo, and I think they were enjoying a cold Pepsi or two. Right then I said to myself "There go a couple of smart guys." :) That was about the time a bug the size of a golf ball hit me in the head.

Don

3. 1arock

1arock

I have been a member here for a while and rarely ever post, this thread reminds me of this forum in general. "No Trailers", "No Billet","Nothing Newer Than 64" unless we approve. What a bunch of hooey. I build what I drive, drive what I like and don't need a car show promoter or internet moderators approval to be happy with choices I make about trailers or not.
    I'll crawl back under my rock and watch the storm this kicks up.Rocky

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'm only 40 years old, and would consider trailering to an event far away. First of all, I can't afford to miss work long enough to be broke down for a day or two. It's actually more enjoyable to be fresh when you get there and enjoy yourself while there.
    I'm building a trailer now, so I can go drag racing too. If that makes me not cool, I guess that's the way it is.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've gone a thousand miles in a single day in my roadster more than once. Too damn hot, too damn cold, raining, snowing, even ice fog at different times. The poor old thing is showing the thirty years of hard use I've put on it, but it and I wear the rock chips and sunburn as badges of honor. I think it's fun.

On the other hand, if you decide, for whatever reason, that you want or need to transport your car on a trailer it is absolutely no skin off of my nose. If you are having fun, I'm ok with it. I assure you I'm doing my best to have fun, too.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, I am actually surprised. I fully expected to get beat up on by posting this but all of the comments have been very respectful and constructive. Sure, some people have different views on the subject, but even the ones who do not like trailers under any circumstance have been good about it.

Now I can take off my crash helmet and flack jacket. :D

Fon

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only old car I have that runs right now is my 61 Dodge. that's a good car on the open road and I'm sure it could do 250 without a hiccup.

if there was a show 250 miles away I would drive my daily. I don't get any big thrill from driving the Dodge, and my daily gets way better mileage. I go to shows to look at the other cars. I already know what mine looks like.

8. Dave50

Dave50

IMO your getting alot of street rod style guys commenting its just not the same. If i was going to take my car 250 miles and i would ik i would be in for a heck of a ride its stiff buggy springs and no shocks. If i had to go over 500 miles theres noway i would drive it all the way unless i had a month to do it maybe i am getting old......... as some have mentioned some of our cars were built for drag strip and local cruising etc again not some hot rod with coil overs and a/c etc. I didnt read ever ypost just my .02 cents

9. This is why I don't join car clubs any more. Some one always wants to be emperor.
    I own a virginal '96 Vette convertable as well as the wasanaltered. If I'm going more than 75 miles or so, I'm going in the Suburban! I can take all my "stuff" with me.
    It's the same as living in a neighborhood with an HOA. Won't happen. Someone is always way too ready to tell me how I'm supposed to do things.
    If I want to attend a show with my car and don't want to drive it there, it's going on the trailer.
    Owned an o/t Vette years ago, and was a member of one of the local "upper crust" Vette clubs. Everyone was aghast that I had "hot rodded" my Vette. Jeeze, it's an f-ing car, not a 12 year old catholic girl! Clubs mean rules.....

10. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Sometimes there are things that require a trailer, My wife who owns our 41 Packard was hit broadside on a MC, spent a year in a full body cast and has one leg of metal. She is tough but on long hauls we take the trailer because there is no other way. The 41 will run from coast to coast border to border but not with her in it.

11. I'm too cheap to trailer mine... My daily driver truck get's 17 MPG, the hot rod gets 20 mpg with a SBC as long as I keep it under 55 on the back roads... It doesn't like interstates (combination of bias plys, crappy shocks, no Panhard)... but I only drove 100 miles each way... I did tow my 1978 Fiberglass camper to Daytona once (I built a receiver hitch for the '46) ... 175 miles each way... Once again, because I was too cheap to get a hotel. White knuckle all the way

Someday I want to trek out to the Roundup... But that will have to wait until I become rich and famous... and I can afford insulation, rubber, and A/C...

12. srs1

srs1

what's a trailer?

13. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I figure when promoters start paying my bills, as opposed to me paying theirs, they can tell me how to build my car and how to move it from place to place.
    By the way, I have never trailered my car to an event.

14. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

less fuckin rules...................more fun!!

15. chopped

chopped

What happened to the guy that said "I hate trailers so much I drag my boat to the lake with a chain"?

16. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

WOW that means you ran 125 mpr for 8 hours, I guess Iam not up to that

17. Now that's a true Canadian! :D

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I don't read anywhere where he said he went a thousand miles in 8 hours, what I read was that he went a thousand miles in a single day. Too many people reading things into statements that actually aren't there.

19. 61 chevy

61 chevy

at 70mph, that would take about 15 hr, :D

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Trailers answer yes I believe It's allright for your car to pull a trailer. Trailers are for when your car is broke.

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

And your point is.....?

22. don i really don't care if you trailer or not. my car is chopped no side glass. no carpet no radio. the first drive it had was about 340 miles. it was intense. my only comment is i say build a shoe box mainly because i want to see what you and the boys come up with!

23. I would rather have the car there at the show than not .I come to see them and hear them run. Big deal you unloaded from a trailer and drove it in. I have to laugh at you guys that think this is so wrong. From someone that helped with our show (Hot Rod A-Rama in Tacoma). I see no harm no foul, my hats off to guys that drive "the distance" I have made it to every Billetproof in Washington driving my cars there... been there done it. I have seen guys unload cars out of sight just because some people need to rake them over the coals for not driving it, big deal. If runs and can be driven in great. This has been hashed over some many times in just sickens me . Allan I feel sorry for everytime you have to come on and explain things you put on great show, look forward to seeing you at Billetproof in Washington...

24. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

personaly for me unless its a newly finished show car and just trying to save it from road wear untill the seasons over or a new in progress unfinished car the shops been working on and dosent run yet or a chassis we just finished ill do , i hate it trailering a car is a pain in the ass

dont understand how some can trailer there car or cars ALL the time and never drive them.

5 hours in a open roadster with striat pipes aint that long , try a few days

drive my car every were i can and in any weather with strait pipes and in side glass and for many years with no trans tunnel to kanas , texas , vagas , LA quite a few times a year even pack most of my booth in it and when my wife has a running driving car shes driving right behind me

drove in a roadster with a olds in it with bob sr. from Wisconsin to Chicago in late october and at a few pionts in mild rain , ya it was cold but wouldnt have it any other way

this last january drove in a roadster in italy it had the top on it in 15 degress weather from malon to verona my wife road in a chopped merc

i hate being at a show with out driving my car

i dont think you needed to explain why you tailered a car to billetproof you would be surprised how many cars acualy are trilered to these tarditional shows i wanted to start a thred called BUSTED with pics of all the cars heck my car pulled into the kkoa show in salina kanas last year on a flat bed but it had a broken ball jiont

so what i didnt pick up from the beginng of this thred was you drop your hot rod and tarilered your sons? or you guys only brought one car and it was on a trailer?

thanxs for taking the time to explain why yas did it MOST would hide vthe fact and act like they drove there car!!!!

tailering cars is alot of work and it sucks ass

25. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I am split on this....I have a decent car (driver), and I own a nice trailer (open, not enclosed). I enjoy driving to Billetproof, but that is because I love roadtrips. In fact, I went with the Swamp Kings to Billetproof this year, it's the best part. My father on the other hand used to restore cars, and preferred to just look at them (Pre-goldchain days). He doesn't get my desire to drive. He also doesn't get the fact that I don't show up and at least wipe the car down etc. Oh well..

I have towed my car before, but only when the entire family wanted to go (mostly Moultrie). 3 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, Dog cage, mobility scooter (Dad), and all the luggage, playpen, etc... as large as the Caddy is, it just doesn't fit. So we tow.

I like billetproof because I don't have to detail my car at the show. I don't get judged, hell I don't need to be judged. I know the faults my car has, and you don't need to point them out to me. That's why I love Billetproof.

As far as trilers at Billetproof, I personlly could care less, but don't expect to park it all at the host hotel. The lot is small enough, then you add your tow vehicle, trailer, and your towed vehicle. Like someone else mentioned, find a Hotel in the general area (Ocala or Wildwood) and Drive it in from there. Nobody would be the wiser.

As far as cars being allowed in that shouldn't be there, it's hard to catch it all. Everybody knows the rules, we are just there to enforce them. Between the busy hours of 8-10am, over 300+ cars rolled through the gate. Each car was "checked" for compliance as they turned into the complex from the main road. If you made it past them (Dave or Big), then you were in. Those of us in the registration line were to busy running around to look any further.

regardless, it was a kick ass show. Several cars were turned away, and I know a few were not happy campers. you can't please everybody.

26. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

BTW, if I had something like a 1936 roadster, and wanted to drive 1500 miles to a Billetproof show, my family would want to go. I couldn't imaging an 18 month old baby in the rumble seat. Just couldn't do it.

27. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

My car does have a full exhaust system but I ran the caps off

Don[/QUOTE]

We know, our room was on the second floor right behind your car! lol :D

28. Like I posted before, hashed over many , many times... This comes up ever time show season starts... Rather have the car there than not, must be able to move under its own power , yes for sure.. It's not everyone's cup of tea to drive longer distances and I don't hold it against them... Remember why we come to the shows.. one reason period... IS TO HAVE FUN ! my last 2 cents... Allan great shows keep up the good work...

29. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well maby he went 41 for 24 hours, just thinking a 1k a day is not normal

30. 29moonshine

29moonshine

at least be honest and say it was trailered lots of people talk like they drove down then sunday you see the cars 40 miles up the road on a trailer. my 29 has no ac or ps the fun is driving it even if i have to stop every 150 miles to rest by then i need gas any way it is 9 hr to ocala from here and i am 63

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.