Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The '41 Merc chop......(((NEW PICS)))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Pete

Pete

I bought this Merc out of Oklahoma a few years ago, it was not described properly by the seller, he said it was rust free and solid...oh well......it is a very cool ride....so I decided to make the best of it.

Anyways me and a handful of the boys decided to chop it yesterday. I had the look I wanted in mind. With that said the Fords and Mercs are different around the lower rear window area. The fords have a nice "swoop" to them while the Mercs have an abrupt crease.

One of the main things was to make the upper deck lid area longer giving the car a longer less stubby look. We cut 5 inches out of the front posts and cut the entire rear package tray out and moved it forward until we though it looked right. I actually had an x-tra trunk skin which worked perfect for filling the new gap created by moving the package tray and window forward.

I got home last night and uploaded the pics....but now Im think it may be chopped too much.

Oh yea, I had a very nice 39 Ford rear window that I plopped in as well.

What do you guys think?? Too much....

Post some pics of HARD chopped coupes if you have any or light chopped ones as well.

Thanks guys.

Pete-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Picture #10 looks better than #7.

3. Pete

Pete

Where is RICKSTER!!!!!

4. I think it looks good Pete, a little on the heavy side of the chop but not ridiculous. On the side shot with the upper door mocked on, it appears to be "sagging" at the rear of the door..prop that up the 1/2" or whatever and I bet it looks a ton better by the eye!

I LOVE 41 Mercs!!!

[​IMG]

leadsled, StrickV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Pete

Pete

One of the main things I was trying to avoid is that big "hump" between the quarter and rear window that most of the fords get when you chop them. I also wanted the door tops to kind of fade-away to the back.

Pete-

6. phat rat

phat rat

Club/long door cpe is the same roofline whether Ford or Merc. I also agree #7 is too much

7. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

WOW, I couldn't disagree more. The angle of the roof in Picture number 7 looks like a nice custom chop, but number 10 looks like a 90's street rod chop.

I guess if you want to paint everything including your britework some bubblegum color with splash graffics the chop in picture ten is perfect. Maybe you should "pro-street" it too, WTF

Not to much chop either. looks good

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly, I don't chop anything untill it is sitting at ride height. The roof flow is part of how the whole car looks and is hard to visualize with the car sitting up that high. Can you photoshop some lowering then ask me again?

But, I trust your judgement and I know you have the skills to pull it off.

Good luck, -Abone.

9. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

Picture #10 is the best looking, unless you are going full batshit custom then #7 works.

10. 117harv

117harv

The heavy chop might look more in proportion when the back of the car is down, a pic with the wheel off like the other? I think it will look good either way.

11. klazurfer

klazurfer

:):)

Attached Files:

12. 117harv

117harv

There we go, i think i like the heavy chop best...but it's your car.

13. Pete

Pete

Oh yea, that looks good! Thanks for the photo shop!

14. Pete

Pete

I didnt want the doors to look straight, kind of makes it look like a level chop. The rear of the roof is higher than the front in stock form so you have to remove more in the rear from the get go.

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

nailed it!

16. I think you have it too low, but more to the point, too low at the front. Raise the front slightly and chop the back more. My 2c.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. phat rat

phat rat

That looks good except for the break at the trunk could flow/transition better

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

[​IMG]

I didnt lower the roof line at all and I think it looks pretty good! Are you planning on slanting the B pillar?

19. Sure it could, but I assumed that would get done later on, in the metal.
    I´m thinking adding back wheels would be a good move too.:D

20. gonzo

gonzo

You got to slant the b pillars and then get the ass end real low and it'll be good. I don't think it's chopped too much, besides Pete has never been known for his subtlety!

21. Pete

Pete

Oh man, these all look good!

Im into heavily chopped cars for sure........Im gonna really have to think about this now....

I actually added 1 inch to the front during the mock-up stages and dropped the back more, I wasn't in love with it...

22. Pete

Pete

SOme of the boys have been telling me to slant the B-pillars...im not sure, thats kind of a new thing....

Pete-

23. The overall height is less important, but the front definitely needs to be higher than the back, to get that all important flow.

24. Pete

Pete

I agree.

25. flash

flash

Pete I fixed it for ya.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  26. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The chop is too much in picture #7 the look is all wrong. I like the fastback look for the flowing top but not cut that much. But we all have our own tatses and you have to build what suits you. Good Luck

27. Pete

Pete

Oh man, that hurts Tony!

Thought we were pals....

28. I feel the same way

29. Pete

Pete

Slick,

I really dig what you did here.

Pete-

30. flash

flash

Just kidding. Here's a version that raises the rear window just slightly and kicks out the bottom (basically the rear window a bit higher but laid more flat) so you can have a more swoopy curve down to the decklid.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: