Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Will I get This Big Engine Into That Little Space?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Earlier in this thread I suggested moving the firewall back an inch and a half. I take it back!!! That's a very very nice ride.
    Your doing it the right way. Pain in the butt, but you'll only have to do it once.

2. Interesting point 73rr, about cold oil taking a 90 degree bend. As he lives in a year round warm climate do you think it's an issue? Like to hear more about this one. Interesting theory.
    I wonder if anyone has actually done a study on this?

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The only other Mopar big block I've seen (over at the p15/d24 forum) was done with a Dakota front clip. I think you are on the right track - I think you'll still have to cut out some space for the oil filter adapter. (and right now, only one pic from post 29 shows up).

And slightly off topic, I was listening to some 1940s "dirty blues" music the other day, and your thread title would fit right in... :)

4. 4woody

4woody

In the last pic you can see a sort of brace at 45 degrees to the frame rail and the crossmember. It sort of cuts the corner- some of my paint marks ore on it. Anyway, structurally it seems redundant: it appears to reinforce a joint that is already very beefy.

Anybody know why it was built this way? I'm especially curious since I'll be changing it...

Quote: And slightly off topic, I was listening to some 1940s "dirty blues" music the other day, and your thread title would fit right in... :)

Check out Rev Billy C Wertz if you like that sort of music:
    http://www.reverendbilly.com/

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Last post with pictures shows one picture and two Photobucket errors.

6. 4woody

4woody

This better?
    I didn't have red x's of course...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

WOW, a beautiful Chrysler Royal you have there! Wish I had of kept the 39 coupe I had like that.

Ford E350 vans with the 460 have the 90* oil filter adapter, you might find one used in the local yard.

8. Some B/RB Chrysler Industrial engines used a different oil pump cover with no provision for an oil filter - just two NPT holes for the oil lines to a remote-mounted oil filter. Much more compact than a cover plus a remote filter adapter.

Saw one for sale here on the HAMB a while ago, but I already have mine:D

Some Chrysler Marine engines might use something similar.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im sure you just cutting for clearance now, but be sure and think ahead, will you be able to service the engine with so little trimed off?, you may need alittle more room to get you hands and tools in and around the engine as well.
    The car looks great you will figure it out.

This is my 6.0 liter Caddy motor in my 210. w/power steering and power brakes.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

X2 on that! I have nothing against Chevys:p, but generally they belong in GM cars. Your Royale is SUPER, and the Chrysler big-block is an awesome choice:D.

That stock oil-filter location was great in its stock application:eek: -- very easy to change the filter on these, the 440 and the Hemi. But, adapting to solve problems is what 'rodding & customizing is about.:cool: Sound like Gary and others have the ticket: Going remote.

11. 73RR

73RR

Oh yeah, those other two pics help alot. Your marks for cut-out look appropriate. With an adapter on the pump it appears to be low enough that you could run the lines straight forward and then route them to a remote filter location. I would not normally use more than 48" of hose per line.

12. 4woody

4woody

I did some Googling and couldn't find this cover. Got a pic? Or a part #?

This is different than the marine adapter someone posted above??

13. I had to do something similar on a caddy once, I actually cut out more of the crossmember than needed and then added some structure to the inside than I welded it back. than I did the notch for the oil pump.

14. metalix_421

metalix_421

agreed with the 90s. I didnt want to do it but ended up using 45s on my 56 olds. It has a 472 cadillac thrown into it. I had to cut up my crossmember as well to get everything to fit.
    not sure if it has been said yet but make sure you put some extra bracing in you Xmember just to be safe

15. GTSDave

GTSDave

I have that same adapter on my 51. The only two pics I have handy were when I was breaking it down after it swallowed a plenum bolt from the tunnel ram and destroyed the #1 piston.

It was this way when I got the car, but all they did was cut a notch in the cross member to give enough clearance for the two hoses, then the ran the two lines up to the filter mount on the side of the radiator.

-Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I made this one myself, for an FE motor. A chunk of 1" aluminum and some careful cutting, drilling and filing. Bad planning had the filter sat right where the Vega box wanted to live. You could make something this thin to adapt any filter outlet, with a little ingenuity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

They make an oil filter relocation kit for that motor that should either completely solve your problem, or make it much easier by only requiring a small notch into the crossmember. Then you can just plumb lines to wherever you decide to remote-mount the oil filter. I shoehorned one of these motors into my 57 Ford, had lots of issues with fitment but no regrets on performance

18. 4woody

4woody

The one Morrisman made (Great work & idea, but I have neither the tooling nor the skills..), and whatever 30dodgeboy have set me thinking about an oil pump cover instead of an adapter. If I could get rid of the whole top piece of the pump with the pad for the filter that would get me a lot more room.

It looks like- failing finding the factory piece 30dodge mentioned above- Milodon makes something that sounds like the right thing, but I haven't been able to find any pics of the actual part online, and they make several things that sound like they might work (Milodon #21210 is one that sounds likely).

Has anybody ever seen the Milodon oil pump cover up close?

19. metalix_421

metalix_421

Kinda like this?

Attached Files:

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hayden 291 kit lets you bring the lines out the front or the side of the adapter

21. 73RR

73RR

It is odd that Milodon has had that 21210 part number on the books for 2 years but they still haven't released a pic...

Check this Moparts link:
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5764048&Main=5763725

22. more bonus points on going back to a mopar. did you say what color gold that is? i am slowly moving forward with a plan to remove my sbc as well.

23. 4woody

4woody

The paint is just Duplicolor rattlecan engine enamel. Color is "Universal Gold".

I looked at that Moparts thread above and have sent an email to AndyF who made the cover pictured.
    [​IMG]
    That sure looks like what I had in mind, though it would be more useful for me if the ports came off the back side toward the rear of the engine.

24. 354HEMI

354HEMI
    from MARYLAND

Have you ever thought about getting a straight axle from a 30-38 mopar. I'm sure there are fellow hamb members that could suppy you with one. Disc brakes are not a problem,steering would be easy,and you would not have to deal with all the
    cutting & welding. Just my opinion.

25. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Just a bench drill and a hack saw required. And a 1/2" BSP tap. :D

If you lived closer I could make you one in an afternoon.

26. 73RR

73RR

If they come out of the back side will they hit your mounts?

27. Metalix 421just like that.

28. Somebody (not sure who) makes a big mopar oil pump cover with the remote filter fittings plumbed directly into it. Hell, MP might sell them. Seen them on drag cars before. Try Ray Barton Racing.

Oh shit, nevermind... Should have read to the end, I guess.

29. 4woody

4woody

Yeah, After I typed that I printed out the pic and took it out to the garage and realized the motor mount would be an issue. That big (an-12?) fitting he has sure sticks out a long way though.

Morrisman: You should do a tech. I want to see how you did it.

30. I did not see that marine adapter. One post above has bad picture links...

I do not have any pictures of that cover, but can get you some. Maybe even a casting number if there is one on it.

Regarding the 90* bends - as well as any other remote filter line restrictions - the oil pressure regulator is in the oil pump cover UPSTREAM of the oil filter. Excessive pressure drop (from lines, fittings, etc) will result in the oil pump circulating more oil within itself and it delivering less oil volume to the engines oiling system. Be sure to run big lines, especially if the run is longer. Also be sure to run a oil filter with a good check-valve in it. I prefer the Motorcraft FL-1A as I have found the check valve is quite effective, resulting in faster oil pressure build when restarting...

I always use an accurate (mechanical) oil pressure gauge connected to the engine on all of my vehicles. Inaccurate gauges are just asking for an engine failure.