Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwalker

starwalker

I have never been there which is pathetic since it's only an hour away from my house. I'm thinking road trip.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love the Volvo pickups, I never realized they made them. I wonder why we don't see more of them hot rodded by our Scandanavian friends? Gary

3. 11E

11E
    from USA

This is a tight crop of the situation a fraction of a second prior to impact. I've seen the speculations regarding the reasons elsewhere....what I can say that I saw was a piece of the car coming off (it looked to me like bodywork, but it could have been the parachute or bodywork incidental to a tire failure). The car also appeared to veer right, which is opposite of where the driver would have wanted to go (implicit in that statement is loss of control, for whatever reason). Impact was on the white wall with "Winston" on it, then it bounced back across the track and came to rest on the track ~ between the Kendall and Union 76 signwork. I have a pic just after impact occurred while car was still in motion across the track, and one just as it came to rest. The picture that ran in the Charlotte Observer was taken by the lone person in the upper grandstand seats (just visible) looking down. My impression at the time and still today was that the parachute deployed as a result of the impact, not driver action, and it never inflated. I don't have any reason to flame you...your summary is similar to many of the "published" impressions of the incident and nobody knows for sure what happened (other than a drag vehicle doing >250 mph had no business running at that venue. And that's to say nothing of the other vehicles lingering in the "runoff" area (if it can be called that). Reports of wreckers being in that area, which you'll find in some stories, are just flat wrong, as this frame proves.

Tragic and unnecessary loss of life that day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

You all have some concept of what the term vintage means. As AxeGrinder said back on Post #34,165, "If the pic don't fit, you must omit." This crap is getting out of hand. What? You did it on photoshop or saw it on HuffPost, but that was yesterday, so it's vintage?

Let's stick to vintage photos. That's what the last two years have been about on Dog's thread.

5. pipopak

pipopak
    BANNED
    from florida

(Sigh) I had one Lada. Bodywork was probably stronger than an Abrams tank, but the engine was not even good as a boat anchor.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Tom Mix's Cord, as shown when he was through with movies
    and doing his traveling circus show. Below is the car, restored
    after the wreck that killed Tom. HAMB member SunRoofCord
    located these rare photos. If anyone has previously found and
    posted them, please let me know and I'll delete so as not to
    clutter up Dog's thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

My first "hot rod", 1966 (my buddy and I were 13).

[​IMG]

8. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

All I can say about this pic is WOW . It tells 90% of the story . Even back then those guys should have known better than to be down there . They weren't even paying attention to whats going on on the track. I'm torn about seeing the other pics , but natural curiousity is getting the best of me .

9. If you guys want to pursue this, I'd suggest starting another thread...this is a "Vintage shots from days gone by!" thread.

10. 11E

11E
    from USA

The driver, in white standing at rear of the car, escaped. He saw the Packer coming and understandably ran away to the rear of the car (right as seen from this perspective) about 10 feet before turning around to come to the aid of his crewmembers, which was futile. I doubt the crewmembers ever saw the Packer coming. ISTR that a certain Ms. Muldowney was present and one of the first few on the scene which she promptly left. The only "emergency" vehicle in the area was the pickup truck at far right, which was not a wrecker, but just a pickup with some fire extinguishers, etc. on board. It was a good 200 yards or more from the accident site before it started rolling. The presence of the breadvan like vehicle with doorslammer in tow is particularly inexplicable there. IMO, the race organizers and official have a lot to answer for in this regrettable incident.

11. 11E

11E
    from USA

38 years not making the "vintage" cutoff?

12. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I got one of those - I was already in Basic Traning at Amarillo AFB - My TI told me I had to send the Army a letter saying that my ass belonged to the United States Air Force
    USAF 1967 - 1989

13. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Taking a cue from his wife's PT Cruiser, Hans mail orders some portholes for his Austin.

14. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The Russians never bought anything from Opel, they stole it in the name of reparations.

15. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

NO!! You, and others, just don't get it.
    Hmm, 38 years ago, lemme see, so like a 1974 Camaro is vintage?

16. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Then tell us, o wise one...what does ?

17. ehdubya

ehdubya

18. It's an easy concept...vintage, you know, like how the entire JalopyJournal (of which the HAMB is but a part) is structured.
    [​IMG]
    Prince Edward Hotel, Windsor, Ontario, 1949

19. Or...
    [​IMG]
    Imperial Theatre, Ottawa, Ontario, 1937

20. Vintage - c.a. 1941 near Ft Bragg NC
    [​IMG]

21. Vintage - c.a. 1940, Berrien County Michigan
    [​IMG]

22. Very vintage - 1906 c.a. but location unknown

[​IMG]

23. Vintage 1941, Cascade Idaho
    [​IMG]

24. Vintage 1938, Plain city OH
    [​IMG]

25. Vintage 1938, Lancaster Ohio
    [​IMG]

26. Vintage 1938, Morganton NC
    [​IMG]

27. Vintage 1939, Northampton MA
    [​IMG]

28. [​IMG]

arizona1960

I don't think this could be Arizona in 1960, the Mustang looks like a 1966 to me !!

Posted by Deville Gal - Vicki,,,,,Ken was logged in, sorry.

29. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

30. ehdubya

ehdubya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.