Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mystery Roadster... photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OoltewahSpeedShop, Mar 15, 2012.

1. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I've owned this '30 roadster for a few months now. I have a few stories of where it came from and some old pictures back to the mid '70's and have come to an end on the history... As always, I figured my HAMB brothers might be able to help me add some information to the story.

Here's what I have and a few pictures.

It was built as a Hot Rod in Southern California in 1957. Built Flathead, Pearl Lavender paint, filled 1/4's, white interior and top. In the LA Roadster show a few times and in a few magazines. In 1965 or so.... The car was bought and hauled to Florida on it's matching single axle trailer. Kenny Hyatt owned the car in Florida. Somewhere along the line it was painted white.

Bill Pittman bought the car in Bradenton, Fl. in about '75 and brought it to Cincinnati, Ohio. In '77 or so it went into the garage under a tarp and stayed there until 2008. Mark Bowles did a freshen up on the car, and after one other owner it ended up in my garage.

If you have ever seen this car or know anything about it, PLEASE pass your story on to me. Surely someone will remember it.

I'm looking for any old pictures of the car.

Thanks to Bob Oney, Joe Chapman, Jack Strunk, Josh Shaw, Mark Bowles and Bill Pittman for the info and pics so far.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sure looks better now. Gary

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Always puzzles me how nice cars like that get parked and put under tarps in the yard?

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Luckily it was covered up in a dry garage all those years. I was told the reason for parking the car was that a 1/4" nut was dropped down thru one of the carburetors. He was going to fix it, but never did. Glad someone didn't try to crank it. :eek:

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I guess I should mention the drivetrain...:D

Another mystery is the engine size. We were told the Buick Nailhead was 400+ cubic inches and had a stroker crank, ported heads, dome pistons, and an Isky 505 cam. It's a late '50's 322 block, so not sure on that part yet. Either way it runs like a raped ape.

Old polished Edelbrock intake with 6 chrome 97 Strombergs, finned Eelco valve covers, valley pan and fuel log. Weiand finned spark plug covers. Chrome fan, water neck and crossover, oil pan, oil filter canister, and dust cover.

Aluminum flywheel with a '37 Lasalle floor shift transmission, converted to Ford closed tube driveshaft. Columbia 2-speed rearend.

Attached Files:

7. Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash

I don't have any history to add, but damn what a cool car. It's amazing that all the cool stuff stayed on the car for all these years. It looks great now.

8. F&J

F&J

Were there any other owners/locations in Fla?

I was in Tampa/St.Pete Fla. in Feb 1971, and was shocked to see a fenderless channeled roadster w/32 shell, sitting on a residential corner lot, for sale, on a main drag somewhere near there. I think Tampa. I do not recall the color or motor... 40 plus years ago...and I don't know the price, because I was a broke kid.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Hmmmm..... Sounds like we might be getting somewhere. Was it on a trailer with matching wheels?

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Man that sure cleaned up nice. Hope you can find the history of the car. Funny how it is so important to know where they came from. Good luck with your search.

11. pregrid

pregrid

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That avatar freaks me out.....

13. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Man, that is one awesome ride with a wicked mill !!! Sorry I can't help, but I love it.

14. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Sorry I cant help, but would like to thank you for the pics, the first one (yellow) has a guy with a cincy street rod shirt on. Short search I now I have a show to go to thats close. No longer have a car ( even been over 30 yrs since I did), but I still like to go look at shiney things LOL:D

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I just got off the phone with Mark Bowles who found the car in the Cincinnati area and got it back on the road. He traced the car to Parlier, California and gave me his contact info there. :D:D:D:D Can't wait to see where this goes... The history of these old cars is very important to me.

Not sure who the guy in the Cincy Street Rod shirt is, but the guy in the white shirt and green hat is Bill Pittman. He owned the car at the time.

Keep it coming guys.... It's getting better every day.

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Anyone know Joe Baird from the Cincinnati area? Supposedly he rebuilt the engine to it's current form.

Keep the PM's and emails coming guys....

17. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

The old chrome suspension on the car is great. What is that steering box?

18. pregrid

pregrid

Cool!

19. COOOOOOEEELLLL!!!! What a find! Talk about a time capsule! I hope ya get a full history on this! Great score! Plus,strker Nailhead! That thing prolly leaps right offa the ground when ya nail it!!!! Thanks for the pics!! One of a kind fer shur! Have fun! Stay in touch! R~R

20. Hey! I forgot to say I love the single blue running light!

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

22. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

The blue running light has been mounted on about my last 10 cars. I actually had it burning the other night....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

It runs REALLY good. Hopefully someone will remember it...

24. Such a neat car Kevin. Have you done much to it since you've owned it ? Or was it in its current condition (cosmetically) when you got it? You obviously had the engine out.

25. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Word Up
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1q-k-uN73Gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm slowly fixing a few things that were either wrong era or just wrong. I don't want to take it apart so far that it can't be drivin, so just one thing at a time. It was basically what you see when I got the car, but I've been making it a little more user friendly without changing the looks.

I located the chrome generator and brackets last night. So that will be going back on there for sure. The guy that restored the car saved EVERYTHING, so looks like I will be getting all the original parts. :D Don't know how much of that stuff I will use, but it will be cool to have them to keep with the car.

I actually haven't had the engine out myself, but it will be coming out after the summer to fix a couple of pesky oil leaks.

27. wheelguy

wheelguy

Myself and Darrel Turner had the motor out in september to work on transmission (Yes,you have to take the motor out to get the transmission out) Old time cross member set up that Kevin will probably modify when he takes motor out to fix oil leak. We should have repaired leak and cross member when motor was out but we were in a hurry to get it back together for the "Pumpkin Run" in Owensville,Ohio. It's definitely a unique car and I'm glad someone (Kevin) got it that is having fun with it. When this thing fires up it draws a crowd.....HAVE FUN KEVIN!!!!!!!! Joe