Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. KK500

KK500

March 13

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Okay.. I quick progress report here.. I have been going NON STOP. Very busy time of year.

So, here we go.

1st off, The Burden/Emmanuel V-16 MILLER:

I've been working on the Wodden Bucks for the Fenders and the Body. For this project Zakira's has chosen to use their guy In England (Ian) to do the body shaping... They usually fly Ian over here to the U.S. to do the bodies in house, but Ian is unavalible to travel at this time, so... The bucks are being SHIPPED to england for the body to be made in his shop.

Here is the finished Fender Buck being shipped, and the Body buck which I just finished Yesterday.

Attached Files:

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Next... My home shop. The Hal Cole driven, GanCor Spl. #14 is in its FINAL ASSEMBLY stages!!!

This remarkable car will Debut AT INDY this may!!

An entire Build thread will be soon to come.

Jim Mann did MOST of the work on this one. It was sent to Jim to get the frame re-straightened in his kk200 jig, and possibly engine mounts done.. Well, Jim had everything needed and once discussed, it was agreed that he should take it pretty far! (He had a body, rear end, front suspension, brakes, steering, and a 220 OFFY!! ) it was a no brainer!

Now, I'm doing the final assembly, Plumbing, wiring, machining rear axles, Carbs, paint and Clutch.. Etc...

Here is a sneak peak fellas!!

Attached Files:

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

And last, the Loco Mobile Miller..

Body is almost done!

Mike Christy does BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!

(shot here by my friend, the amazing JOHN JACKSON)

Attached Files:

5. [/QUOTE] 1st off, The Burden/Emmanuel V-16 MILLER: [/QUOTE]

Wow...wow...wow....Perhaps this could be broken out into it's very own build thread?
    Or not....either way, nice wood you've got there Sir !! ;)

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

1st off, The Burden/Emmanuel V-16 MILLER: [/QUOTE]
    Perhaps this could be broken out into it's very own build thread?
    ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm going to soon. Good call!

It just make since for the historical side of things.. years down the road when someone sees itm they can research it, and see it come together HERE on the HAMB.

J SHaw

7. This years edition of the Winchester Old Timers will be held on August 18-19, 2012. It will be held in association with the Extreme Winged sprint cars since USAC has not scheduled a sprint event at Winchester Speedway as of this date. Any questions or contact should be done at, http://www.winchesterspeedway.com/ or Gary McFarland, [email protected]

HG :cool:

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Josh, really enjoy your build photos and notations and was happy to see you behind the wheel of the Milton Recreation at Milw Millers Meet last year.

You and several others are always on the preferred guest drivers list so if our paths cross again be sure and stop by (with helmet in hand) and hope to see you again at Milw in July.

Carl Schulz
    1927 Boyle Valve Spl #15 Tribute Car

9. easter

easter

10. Ebert

Ebert

Damn Josh, I thought I had a cool job, but you blow us away....has to be really exciting to get up every day and look at art and contribute to history! The other great thing.... as talented as you are, you are even a better person!

Eric

11. easter

easter

Josh - Those wooden pieces of yours are pure sculpture. My LSU Bachelor's Degree is in sculpture and we would have loved having you there as a guest artist and speaker. I realize the finish piece gets the attention, however these "bucks" are the art behind the art. UC, Xavier, Dayton, Ohio State, UNOH - all of these school's art departments should be after you to become a visiting artist. Yep, the finished product is great, but this "underneath" stuff; the dirty late night no-glory stuff is the best. Cuts, splinters, mashed fingers, and burns pay the price for the beauty at the end. I'm proud to say I know you. Fantastic work. You're motivating my old tired ass to get up and work a little harder tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

this looks like the car sheldon kinser drove. (genesee beer wagon).

[​IMG]

13. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

George Snider drove the no. 11

14. Mr. Shaw,
    Are those bucks ply, or MDF? I helped a friend build a "plug" from MDF once for an O/T fiberglass body, and was wondering how you did it. Thanks, Mike

15. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Wonder if this is the 1926 Durant/Durant LJ8 originally blue and white #9 that Michael Ferner has listed as 2609?
    http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/miller/1926/
    If so after going through the Durant, Hartz and Boyle Champ years it was bought by it's last Boyle Stable driver Fred Frame and "raced in The Eastern and Pacific Coast events, then sold to Alvin Kingsley for Walt May and Speed Hinkley witha four cylinder engine."
    "Joe Gemsa campaigned an orange #43 which was said to have been this car, possibly with a Gerber engine. Very recently, this car appears to have been “found”, and it is probably undergoing restoration in the meantime."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Nice work! Beautiful car

17. easter

easter

18. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Better be careful what you bet there, easter!
    The concept of how this car works has been around a long time and you see it every day.
    This whole car is based on an infinite torque spliting differential. When the driver turns the steering wheel, he is changing the torque split between the rear wheels. What percentage of torque split is determined by how many degrees he turns the steering wheel and in what direction....... just like a skid steer loader. The front wheels do serve a useful purpose of keeping the nose from dragging on the ground..

mac miller in INDY

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And my feet will feel a lot safer in an accident! Wonder what is up there ahead of the driver compartment? Gary

20. easter

easter

Very cool answer Mac. Without that torque splitter, I can't imagine this thing turning at all. It seemed as though vehicles were going the other way: wide front track with narrow rear. Like a tricycle going backwards, that thing would really corner. Thanks for the scoop - and ok - I withdraw my bet. PS: Kinda looks like a Don Garlits Swamp Rat - #31

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

You are correct. If the car was fitted with a proper Halibrand straight axle it would not turn. You are also correct that the best setup for a conventional three wheeled vehicle is two front steering wheels and one rear driving wheel.This layout handles very well.
    The real question is, Do you trust the electronic and hydraulic "fly by wire" gizmos that make the Delta car steer more than a good old mechanical steering box, pitman arm, drag link, spindles and steering arms?

22. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Been a while since I have done an update on my midget project. It has come a long way. As you can see it has been painted, upholstered, and lettered by J Shaw. It just needs the fuel lines to be run, injection and mag rebuilt, and a drive shaft and it should be ready to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

WOW, BZ, she's gorgeous!
    Not to take anything away from your excellent work underneath, but Josh is kinda like a pastry artist putting the finishing touches on a cake, isn't he?
    Almost makes you wanna lick it...:p

24. John Lucas

John Lucas

Roy Robbins and Stan Bowman both grew up in Southern Indiana. They were close friends and Stan's death caused Roy to be one of the first persons to use a roll cage on a sprint car. Roy is still livinfg in Southern Indiana. Stan's son still visits Roy. Roy was a legend at Lawrenceburg in the late 50's and early 60's and won the first Knoxville National...quite a driver.

25. John Lucas

John Lucas

Did your dad meet Stan Bowman when he was driving in USAC in 1962. Or did he meet him in prior years. I never her this story. Very interesting.Do you know the names of other drivers your father painted helmets for in the early 60's?

26. John Lucas

John Lucas

I saw the car at the Cincinnati Show...beautiful...

27. cars5752

cars5752

BZ -- absolutely beautiful job on the blue midget. I've followed your build all along. Hope it's up and running this summer.

28. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

I too have been following your progress in pics on this forum also and it looks like all your hard work paid off. Josh did a unique lettering job on it also. really fits good! -Tom Bliss

29. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

I have a complete set of 12in. kidney=bean mag wheels with M&H slicks mounted that are in good shape for show or race. But they are not cheap $200.00 each. I also have a new never assembled HALIBRAND CHAMP STEERING $1900.00.Plus other racecar parts. Call on my cell 503-504-0747.

30. BZNEIL.......what a great job......I just love it.Hope the little one is well,and glad he gave you enough sleep to move the project on......all the best mate.