Register now to get rid of these ads!

has scrap prices risen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malaguena, Mar 16, 2012.

1. My dog woke me up this morning to find a guy in my yard checking out my cars. My gate is kept locked when im asleep. So he hopped it. I figure im being scouted out for a robbery. Turns out he is the THIRD scrapper in maybe a months time to try and buy my projects for scrap.

This is getting irritating here, do i need to put a "nothing is for sale" sign on my lawn? Apparently the "beware of dog" signs arent enough to keep at least this one idiot from hopping over a locked gate.

Have scrap metal prices gone up so much that these guys have become this bold?

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

If someone hops your fence and is obviously trespassing, I would be having target practice. Gets the point across.

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Yes! Tremendously. Copper has sky rocketed. Brass and aluminum are also rising as is the cold rolled pickled and oiled steel stock. I don't know about rubber but even the price of bolts of upholstery materials had shot up.
    Normbc9

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they are stealing LIVE copper wire that run the streetlights around here.

I say park a cop car at the scrap places and pull the people over who drive by with a load and do not stop. then pull them from the car and beat them being sure to break a few ribs. they can not be arrested unless they are actually caught in the act.

they stole a couple hundred bronze flower vases from a cemetary recently. fuckers.

5. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I sell alot copper in the business Im in. I end up with some pretty good mad money when I take a load off. Scrappers trespassing around here isnt an issue that Ive heard. Malaguena if you will use that scrapper for target practice as said above maybe they will start looking for a real job instead stealing and nosing where they arent welcome.

6. If only it were that simple. Maybe a few heads on the fence posts would be a good "stay out" sign? LOL

Im paranoid as it it, thats why ive a big dog, locked gate and own a firearm. At least the dog did his job, woke me up when that guy was in my yard.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Time to get a silent but deadly dog...

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What I want to know is who are the unscrupulous dealers buying suspicious stuff like a couple hundred bronze flower vases or brand new construction materials for scrap?

Makes me want to run for prosecutor.

-Dave

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had one of my customers back before I retired who had his 1200 amp 480 volt main service stolen over a weekend! This was a live service too! I had to have the power company come in and cut the feed so I could repair it, as I don't have the guts those guys had to work on anything that big live!
    I could see several places where their cutters hit the metal enclosure and it didn't stop them! They kept going until they got everything they could get from the feeder pipe down to the fuses!
    After I replaced it all with aluminum instead of copper (to make it less attractive) they came back and started cutting out smaller wiring inside the building! The owner is about 80 yrs. old and he actually caught them inside at 4:00 pm in the afternoon and yelled at them. They didn't even run, they walked to the door they had kicked in and strolled away!
    These assholes are brazen and don't care about their safety; they're that desperate for a fix.

10. Willy301

Willy301

We have had a few severly hurt or killed, while stealing live electric wire from transfer stations and even from the top of power poles...it still doesn't seem to deter them.

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Just this week in Oklahoma, we had two Darwin Award nominees who were apparently trying to strip some copper wire from a working pump jack. One was crushed to death and the other mangled pretty badly. Haven't heard any updates as to whether he made it or not. I have little sympathy for lowlifes.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've been impressed with the Qsee cameras offered at Costco and online. Work damn well.

13. Why do i feel like loading my m1 carbine now?

I remember when i was a kid, the front door stuck a lot so we always left it unlocked during the day, even when gone. Those days are long gone.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

More aggressive dog or maybe a loaded gun is what you need.

15. Hex173t

Hex173t
    from Texas

I picked one of those cameras up for $40. Work real good.

Bill

16. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

That scrapper wouldn't have been alive to ask if my projects were for sale, the pit bull would have seen to that. Seriously man you need to get a more ferocious dog.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

If the druggies are desperate enough to go after LIVE copper wire, they aren't going to care much about YOUR life either. So watch your ass. If you had the balls to go out and read the the Riot Act, you might be lucky if they left and just gave you the finger.

A "boy" in our area was stealing the NEW brass stars off of VETs' graves. He was/is well known for always being whacked out on anything abusable.

18. [​IMG]

C'mon and squeal like a piggy for me boy!

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

here we have 'the make day law'! between my pissed wife & my pit bulls-good luck to any dumb ass that jumps my fence,last i had to redo a couple panels on my 6 ft privacy fence which is double panels & it was the inner pieces that i had to fix,so i think some one change their mind once they got over,:D:D 'cause me dogs don't really bark!
    here you have to show an I.D to sell anything from cans to scrap cars.
    here's my youngest pup.Pepper.

Attached Files:

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

THAT'S FUNNY!!!!
    i don't care who are!!

21. I have three Pits in the back yard good luck with that one. ones name is chesel he earned it ! Rock salt is another great non lethel-paint ball guns will f--k your day up also a hot wire on the inside of the fence is always a great way to impress one.

22. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

$250 per ton in Cleveland today. JC

23. castleman1111

castleman1111

Come past the private property and no tresspassing signs and things get ugly around here................my friends presocanario took out a guy a while back.....nice blood trail right up to the fence!!!lmao!!!

24. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

here we shoot them.
    yes scrap has gone up a little.

25. english rob

english rob

shunt driver at work pulled in a 53foot trailer today said the lights don't work so i start checking it out seemed ok at the front power there had a look underneth all the wireing was gone. now thats very sad how much was it worth $1.50 maybe

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Use a gun to stop them in their tracks, then take your sword and spear out with you to deal with in the most horrific old fashioned way.

Several years ago in Houston, a car burglar was caught in the act outside an artist's complex and chased several blocks by an artist wielding a large and very sharp sword. He stopped and fell to the ground when the chaser told him he would cut off his legs when he caught him. Sure was happy to see the police show up. The officers laughed their heads off and thought that swords might be a bad idea!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep my driveway rough just to keep a lot of screwballs out. my nutcase dog runs the rest of them off.

I'm lucky as I haven't had a problem yet. but my place has had BBD security for the past 30 years and has been on the list of places to stay away from that the locals seem to keep in the back of their heads.

28. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

A trail camera like the deer hunters use takes good pictures day or night ...

29. Thankfully our County Sheriff considers thief's Open game as long as it is on your property ( He would rather deal with calling the coroner than a Ambulance )

30. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

In all seriousness I'm getting $340.00 per ton for #1 steel locally. A few years ago someone was hopping my back wall and stealing alloy wheels. The second time the guy was seen doing it by the business behind me, they knew exactly who he was because he was a former employee. I got some of the wheels back, not all, and was still out a couple grand worth of wheels, he was sent to prison for 2 years. Fast forward a couple of years and guess what? More wheels gone, it was then and there that I went and bought Rommel, my black pit bull. I've never been messed with since. I would say you're lucky so far, all you've had to do was chase them off your property, but that might not last. You could get a surveillance camera but all that's going to do is give you a nice grainy video of them stealing from you, which will be infuriating. Take it from me, get a dog that won't put up with trespassers and there won't be a fourth scrapper hassling you.