Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG looking for build ideas for my 61 bubbletop

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Donaz, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Donaz

Donaz
    from Phoenix

Long time lurker but now ready to jump in with a 61 Bel Air bubbletop newly aquired. I plan doing the old school drag race look. I'll be looking for ideas that were used the time when these cars were running stock and super stock at the track. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Whad da ya thank?

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Welcome from Texas! Good looking ride.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

4. Cortney

Cortney

Welcome from Colorado!

5. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

nice chevy.. the rally wheels gotta go...a 59 steering wheel would look great in there....my 2

6. Chefbiz62

Chefbiz62
    from Omaha, Ne

Welcome from Nebraska...Love those bubble tops..

7. Welcome to the forum. Very nice ride!! The pix below are of my '61 bubble top circa mid-60s. Ran a warmed over 327/365, BW 4-speed, 4.11 posi rear....suspension was all "police special" parts. Did very well on the strip except for a few well prepared GTOs and the Hemis.

Attached Files:

8. Donaz

Donaz
    from Phoenix

I'm definitely thinking about ditching the 454 and going with a 327. Would like to run dual quads fenderwell headers and get a nose up stance

9. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Hello and welcome from So.ILL. Sounds like a winner so far.

10. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Hey from Tennessee, love the car, learned to drive a stick in a 61 Impala

11. ownster

ownster

The '61s are so sweet! You've got a solid car there. IMHO, not much needs to be done to these cars - they look great as is. The first thing I've done to the two '61s I've owned was to lower them. One was bagged, the other wasn't. It's all in the "stance". Good luck!

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm glad you're going for the old Super Stock look. Ever since I bought (two of) the AMT '62 Bel Air kit, I've liked that look.

[​IMG]

Instead of ditching the 454, why not detail it out to resemble a 409?

[​IMG]

Dual quads, argent valve covers, 409 call outs, etc. You won't fool anybody, but it won't look out of place under there, either.

-Dave

13. 60 ford

60 ford

14. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!

15. [​IMG]

White steelies on the front Chrome wheels on the back a little nose up attitude, whamo, Your in the sixties back at the track.

16. tpierce

tpierce

Hi,

Nice 61, they really are a great representation of the early 60's look. I would start with changing the wheels to some 14x6 steelies or get some '70's era 15x6 and/or 15x7 station wagon rims. Old style chrome reverse with the hubcap bumps on the outside of the spider are great for the look if you can find them. Another look that was very era correct is 5 spokes on the front (like torque thrusts) and steel wheels on the back, either body color, or painted black. Keep the interior as stock as possible but get a tach with a chrome housing. Without losing the 454, I would make it look as stock as possible, with steel valve covers,(or early Cal Custom finned) an era correct air cleaner, and headers. I know the nose up look was hip then, but guys also used to put airlifts or station wagon springs in the rear. Doug Marion, of Super Chevy magazine, is really into (and lived through) the drag race aspect of early big cars.He would be a great resource.

tpierce

17. The "nose up look" was for weight transfer to rear wheels.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012