Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help...Again. Engine dies in gear.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bobscogin

bobscogin

TH350C

Bob

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

Have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine to monitor vacuum while this is going on? Vacuum readings will reveal a lot.

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

No I haven't, I think my father might have one I can borrow. Any idea what numbers I should be looking for?

4. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Coolant temperature sensor can do weird things too. I think there might be two on some TBIs - one for the computer, one for the gauges.

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, the one for the computer is reading fine. I had to check that one out recently.

I have just one more thing to add to this thread: DAMN YOU UPS!!! My freakin' gauge has been in town for two days now and they still haven't delivered it. 2 days past the estimated delivery date. I finally called them tonight and told them I'd come get it myself. Meh... Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas guys. I'll post if I get anything figure out.

6. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

With the early TBIs there was a factory free replacement for the gasket between the TBI and the manifold .It looked good from the outside but would leak between the intake openings and mess up the TBI causing uneven idle and lack of power up to and including misfire and stalling.

7. brianj

brianj

You might want to go to one of the fullsize chevy truck forums- they have a lot of experience with this fuel injection system. I got good help for my tbi 95 chevy on one of them, and they get just as in to their trucks as we do about our hot rods.

8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Good to know. If I check the vacuum and it's lousy, that will be the first thing I take care of.

Yeah, I just hate to be the new guy again. :rolleyes: If I keep having trouble, I'll probably bug them though.

9. No mass air flow sensor on a tbi Chevy, so don't worry about trying to find that one, definatly check the map sensor, and/or the egr valve

10. sobpunx

sobpunx

I vote for a coil. If this is a swap ( I skimmed thru this thread) when I put a 302 in my 65 f-100 I had to by pass a resistor wire for it to run when I put it in gear, might be some thing to look in to if it is a engine swap.

11. gerry miller

gerry miller

It sounds like my GMC throttle body. Effed with for days.The module in that distributer also tells the throttle body to turn on gas through the computer.
    I changed the module after replacing IAC, Fuel pump and various other fuel related stuff. It drove me crazy. Changed the module and all the fuel problems stopped. Go Figure. I hope this helps . Gerry
    You wouldn't think that the module could affect the fuel and idle. A friend that works at Chevrolet showed me how the module in that distributer turns on fuel in my 94 GMC.
    I now carry one in my glove box when I go on a trip.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  12. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Yup, there are some great guys over at fullsizechevy.com. Searches usually pull up a lot of good information.

13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Alright, thanks again for all the help guys. Looks like I need a new fuel pump. Well, at least for some of the problems. I think I need 12-13 psi of pressure, and I'm only getting 8 right now.

[​IMG]

14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It's fixed! New fuel pump took care of it. Runs like a champ now!

15. wrenchn

wrenchn
    from Chicago

Good to hear thanks for posting back