Register now to get rid of these ads!

locks on wheels with no "KEY", some insight on how to get them off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Mar 14, 2012.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

The wheels are aluminum and the caps are close to the locking lug. I tried a pair of channel locks but there wasn't enough room. I don't want to weld a bung, or cut due to the aluminum, (old American torque thrusts). Any thoughts?

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You'll ruin a socket but grab a deep socket that is a little too tight and hammer it on. then back it off...

3. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

loosen the others drive back & forth until it is loose..........

4. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Large socket + Hammer.

Pound socket over outside of locking lug nut. Break free with breaker bar or impact. Hammer socket off of locking lug nut before removing lug nut from threads. Repeat.

Hammer and chisel works too, but there is more possibility of damaging the rim.

5. .... there you go! ... 12-point works best!

6. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

Google "wheel lock removal socket". Some are internally threaded, some are like a female version of an easy out, both work.

Chris

7. nobby

nobby

8. rld14

rld14

I work for a dealer group. Happens all the time, people trade cars in, no wheel lock key. Impact socket + hammer + impact wrench.

9. couvy

couvy

Also check on Bolt Out type sockets. Have removed completely round nuts with them.

10. the best and easiest way is the wheel lock removal kit for lost wheel keys. It has teeth inside that grab the locking lug as you loosen kinda like the ones for rounded off nuts.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

try both metric and imperial sizes until you get a good tite fit heat a socket very hot stick on an extension and hammer on.cool it stick your power bar on or an air gun worked for me x4

12. Female version of an easy-out for removing rounded head nuts, bolts & studs. Ive got a set of them here.

13. bblue34

bblue34

Go to the local salvage yard.most of the time they keep a collection of wheel tools that come from trunks of cars,I have done this and found one to fit the wheels on a used car i bought....

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Socket is the best deal,Never chisel them off,I know a guy the lug broke and hit him in the eye,Needless to say he lost an eye,And there is a kit you can buy for lug nuts locks.Cheaper to ruin a socket and impact them off..

15. I used a craftsman spark plug socket and got four off. Socket didn't do more than split on one side.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used a very long chisel and a mini sledge.

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I MIG weld old lugnuts to the top of them and then just spin them off.

325w has it down pat! I'm sure he just returned the Craftsman socket and got a shiny new one free.

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Air hammer and chisel point attacthment.. Start at a 45degree angle and let it rip. It will come loose.. If not a wiz wheel, cut a slot in it and back to the air hammer to either split it or drive it off.... Either was has proven great success for me....

19. cornbread-red

cornbread-red

I just bought a set of bolt outs. They are made for impact wrench. Took the lock lugs off in a snap. I have also used on other nuts that have been rounded off. I consider it a good buy. I did order a second "key" to keep in my tool box. One in the tool box one in the cab.

20. ... oh about the "broken socket" thing ... use a Craftsman, life-time free exchange (wink).

21. I always had luck with the 6-point impact socket, if there was enough clearance for the thick wall they have. Regular deep sockets work too, but agree on making sure I bust up a Craftsman one.

Bob

22. docmike

docmike

I had a friend in high school many years ago that used to deal in "midnight auto parts" and he swore to me that the way he would defeat lock lugs was to pick up a few cans of R-12 freon at the local K-Mart. Because lock lugs are hardened steel, he would use the freon to super cool the lugs and then "smack them with a big f'n hammer" and they would just break into pieces. I never really saw him demonstrate his craft but, I know he used to drag race his '69 Camero at the local track, he always had cash in his pocket and he didn't even have a job.

Doc

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

If you don't want to ruin a bunch of sockets, cut some thin wall electrical conduit into 6" lengths. Drive it over the lug nut with a BFH and use a pair of Vice Grips to twist it off. Throw away the lug and the conduit.

24. no55mad

no55mad

The special socket for this purpose has left hand internal threads. Because the lock nuts are hardened the socket did not want to bite into the lock nut. Lightly touch the lock nut with an arc welder (finally found a good use for a cheap 110V arc welder) to rough it up and add some deposited high spots - the special socket then worked fine. This will help on most of the suggestions here of sockets, tubing etc.
    A slot can also be ground in the end of the locking nut and remove it like a sloted screw - there are sockets available with the slotted screwdriver type end.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  25. jwhite_00

jwhite_00

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Sounds like he made a lot of money off of "hot wheels".

27. R Pope

R Pope

First, check every possible hidey-hole on the car! I cut some locks off, then found the key socket. Damn!
    Second, I hope you are addressing the problem before you have a flat, so you can drive to the local auto wrecker and try all their keys. Or if you have a working relationship with the nearest "chop shop" you got it made, haha.
    A morally bankrupt buddy used to find a long pipe that was a tight fit over the nut, pound it all the way on, and bend the stud back and forth until it broke off. Worked most times.
    Then there's always the weld-a-nut trick.

28. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

Thanks, I used the bang the F out of a 12 point socket, got them off. Thanks for all the tips. All would work, or have.