Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My WIFES new project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well actually my project. its a 1953 chevy truck. needs ALOT of work. good start today. build is going to be slow due to the facts of
    1. no garage
    2. no funds
    3. no parts around my area
    4. WIFE is helping

anyways. build is pretty much tradtional. 350 carb setup with 700r4 auto trans. rallys all around.

for the bad....i need to find door hinges, hood hinges,grill,bumper,running boards and who knows what else.

this call is going out to anyone in my area that is willing to help a fellow hotrodder out. if youve got a parts truck let me know. email PM me. im not looking for handouts but im not turning them away either! lol

willing to barter some of my fabrication skills for parts.

one goood thing is the truck still has the original keylol. clear title in hand also.

the 350 runs great. the donor truck the 53 is sitting on i drove home just the other day and the wife and I tore off the cab today and sat the 53 on the frame to get a good look at her. everything looks good so far.

the only thing im not sure on is the 700r4. apparently its got some electronics in it. two wires for where the speedo cable suppose to be and 4 i think coming out near the pan.
    i would like to hook up an electronical speedo if possible or even swap out the electric for a cable fed type.

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

[​IMG]

forgot...heres a pic

the bed im using is off a 60's pickup using the original fenders from the 53.

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

cool thing is that its the 5 window. ditch the 350 and put a 235 in her! looks to be a great start

4. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

wow....dont hear that often from my area. usually if youve got a inline 6 your an old gezzer or restoring a true rare care. glad to hear some guys out there still love them old inlines. they are true torque monsters. cant hardly kill them neither. the v8 was the WIFE's decision. she is making all the calls on this build. im making a couple tweeks here and there. but she is the main designer of this one. She loves the 5window.

5. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looks like a great start.
    my next is going to be a 5 window
    keep us posted on the progress
    have fun building with wife ( i could never do a build with the wife).

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like lower body needs patch panels. what is the frame from?as for 700R4 do a search here for lots of info posted. do not need an electronic speedo. have your work cut out for you with no shop to work in. but, you are not the only one here. have fun.

7. Unfortunately, I am my wife's project...

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Let her read this, and #4 will guarantee #2, making #1 and #3 irrelevant.

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

lol. i hope she never see's this thread. ill be dead.

i found out looking on the web i can buy a lockup kit for around 90 bux and have 4th gear. yea!

still dunno about the speedo deal. i guess i will just have to fork out extra money and run the electric speedo company's make for this truck. its like $350 or so....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

sold the old bed from donor truck today. getting ready to mock up the original bed on the 92 silverado chassis.

since last post ive located GRILL, RUNNING BOARDS, AND HOOD HINGES. yay

really need some door hinges still. then just alot of work on my end. weld grind. weld some more....grind grind grind. primer and paint. hand the wife the keys.....cry when she wrecks it.....rebuild again.....keep the keys. lol

11. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here is some new pictures. got the grill mocked up. bed kinda on the frame. my god thats a huge gap!

time to get out the cut off wheels lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Keep the pictures coming.
    Gotta love those 5 windows.

13. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

done some work to the truck even though its freakin cold outside. cut the frame inhalf and welded it back up. placed the body panels semi in place. next thing to do is to align everything up and create mounts for the cab, doghouse, and bed.

here are some photos of the truck after it was welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. What frame is that? From the pictures it looks like your front track is a little wide.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that is a project and a half.

I don't know where the Hell Etown is but if you were a lot closer to my place I have a 53 cab with the roof cut of that I'd donate to the project that would put you way ahead.

Pinky obviously didn't see that you are doing a frame swap when he posted about throwing a 235 in it. it wouldn't fit well on the later frame and besides that some people what to drive their trucks rather than just sit and look at them with the hood open.

You are probably going to want to run 6 or 7 inch rims with no reverse offset to help keep the tires inside the fenders a bit better.

I'd take a notch out of the front frame horns to just in front of the steering box on so that the nose will set down. Probably down to where the bolt holes go through the sides of the frame horns about half way down. That way you can step the frame horns down and get the nose down where it belongs in the front. You still may have to trim the pan that is under the grill a bit for clearance at the back on each side.

16. this call is going out to anyone in my area that is willing to help a fellow hotrodder out. if you've got a parts truck let me know.

Are we supposed to guess where the heck"E town" is?
    I don't know how you are going to find anyone in your area willing to help out when the majority of us don't know where you live..

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

maybe e town is englishtown Nj ? just a guess that truck is a project good luck on it

18. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

lol.... etown is ELIZABETHTOWN kentucky. we here locally just call it etown.

the frame WAS a 92 silverado frame. much wider....infact its 6inchs wider. my wife does not want a lowered look. so tire clearance is not going to be a problem. i went back outside with her and we cut the front frame horns and massaged the body around a little trying to get it in the spot in needs to be. very happy with the way its going.

the main thing i need is door hinges.

right now im heading to the lmctruck website and ordering myself some lower cowl patch panels. probably the only patch panels i will buy! everything else i can work with my sheetmetal tools. bed roller ect.....

got the hood where it closes all the way. little hard to open right now but i think its because the whole doghouse is bolted together loosely. :D

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

leave the gap and make a sleeper cab out of it. When you get kicked out of the house for spending to much money you will have a place to sleep :)

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

we done some more today. very happy. removed doghouse and installed inner fenders. bolted everything up with new bolts. all matching. undercoated the underside of doghouse.

undercoated part of the frame. installed the tbi adapter and carb. attached the brake booster.

realized that the darn distributor is the new style....sometimes ive gotten lucky and was able to use it.....this time no so lucky. so im going have to pull it out and install a new one. i was wising i could fire her up with the new carb today. its amazing how fast the engine turns over when you unplug all that un-needed crap.

here are some more pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here some more photos. patch panels installed in cowl

engine bay was tight fit agaisnt the unner fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. belair

belair

Looking good. I regret letting my 3-window get away. I lke the wheels .

23. not dead yet

not dead yet

Wow! your build i coming along nicely. I am just getting a good start on my wife's project ,a 47 caddy, that we have had for over 25 years. She is also helping...but is good help. The money was slow in coming. Ha

24. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i just got the new aluminum radiator in. how does this mount? i have no place for the sides to mount to. i have no radiator support brace. if i had the original i dont think it would fit....any ideas? do i just fab up my own?

25. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

2nd day at the kyana swap meet in louisville and ive already blew $1300 in parts for the 51 chevy. wow money goes fast. going back tomorrow to see what else i cant find lol.

the lists goes as follows..
    1 2 sets of garnish moldings
    2. taillights
    3. free door rubber
    4. turn signal cam
    5. 55 chevy steering wheel
    6. idiot steering column
    7. various electronics
    8. front windshield and back glass
    9. electric fan
    10. hood hinges
    11. glove box liner
    12. carpet
    13. guages all electric
    14. polishing kit
    15. lower cab corners
    16. parts carb
    17. headlight bucket and rings
    18. air cleaner
    19. hurst shifter
    20. free seat from my brother after talking about finding a seat at the meet. lol.

one thing i didnt get.....door hinges! maybe i get some luck tomorrow

[​IMG]

26. Wow that polishing kit should make the truck look like brand new! :D

27. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got the steering column clear coated. decided the raw finish look of it was just to cool to paint over with black or anything like that. drilled out the factory holes of the 55 chevy steering wheel a little. direct bolt up! love the way this thing turned out. what ya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

From a guy that drives inlines... dont swap that 350 for an inline !

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

2X, okay if the 6 is in, but don't go back now, run the 350.

30. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got the doors bolted on today. still needs several hours worth adjusting on it though. unbelievable how long it takes to get all the body gaps just right. gotta start somewhere right? :cool: atleast these doors are not crunchy on the bottoms like the original 51 doors were. these 53's are freakin nice considering there is no bondo in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]