Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. cwheelin

cwheelin

Question for anyone in CA that has painted the newer style CA plates black. I know its easy to do with the older ones as they have the raised CALIFORNIA letters on it but the newer style ones have california written out...Just wondering if anyone out there has done it and how did it come out??? THANKS

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

don't know about cali but in most jurisdictions it's a ticket to alter lic plates

3. Uh huh.
    No one painted the older plates black they came that way.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If they find out you are good at altering license plates you might find a job stamping them out, courtesy of the State. :eek: Most places I have lived a license plate can not be changed in any respect, and I suspect Cal is the same.

Don

5. cwheelin

cwheelin

Its not altering them its more like restoring them.....The old CA ones were black and most have been re painted to freshen them up but want to see if anyone has done that to the newer plates

6. I did write void on a fellas liscence plate with a Magic Marker once. I wanted to get it tatooed on his forehead but my friends helped me understand that it could cause me some serious problems.

No one that is still on this side of the Constantina wire.

You can restore an old plate without altering it, a new plate comes whatever color it is, that is one way that the local leos can indentify it or you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Since the new ones have 7 digets and the old one's don't you have absolutely no chance of getting away with it. Plus the ticket here in California for modifying what is essentially government issued ID's is astronomical, like 500$+ for a first offense

8. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

here it is:

V C Section 4464 Altered License Plates

<!-- English content start in DMV Template SingleField -->Altered License Plates

<!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "section_number" -->4464<!-- #EndEditable -->. <!-- #BeginEditable "section_content" -->No person shall display upon a vehicle a license plate altered from its original markings. Added Ch. 1478, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.

You probably don't want to find out what the penalty is.<!-- #EndEditable -->

9. cwheelin

cwheelin

Alot of things can be said to be not ok with the law- tinted windows,lowered car,loud exhaust, but is done

10. cwheelin

cwheelin

There you go, it states markings but not color??
    That sounds like a good argument

11. Get your ratle can out and go for it. That's what I would do, I certainly wouldn't ask for anyone's advise and pay any attention to it. :rolleyes:

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, just paint them all black. bite the bullet and find an original set that were issued for whatever ride you are planning to run them on.

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

Don't do it, it would just be a matter of time tell your busted for alliterating a California license plate. My buddy pin stripped around the letters, numbers and he was busted for it. :D

CRUISER :cool:

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Felony.

Go to licenseplates.tv and have a set made with your numbers. Still technically a felony to run them, but you're far less likely to get caught.

15. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

which CA black plate are you talking bout? post a pic! dunno why you would wanna update a modern plate unless its a personalized "vanity" plate but beware of the legal consequences.. 1960's CA black plates are only valid on 1963-1969 cars and you need a pair..

16. Fenders

Fenders

Lawyers have a saying: If you think you might not like the answer, then don't ask the question.

17. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I quess thats why I live in ole backwards Oklahoma. I have always painted my tags to match car or motorcycle. I even had one with 6 louvers in it. The law here says clean and legible. I even asked our safety inspector HP to look at it. He said whats the problem, clean and legible.
    Lee

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

Take it to court and let me know if the judges buys your arguement? You just might have a point. On the other hand you just might have an empty wallet.

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

A dmv agent told me that you cant even restore the old plates and not to do it before you bring them in. I dont think many of the dmv counter people know about that though thankfully.

20. biscaynes

biscaynes

paint 'em, let us know how it turns out for you. :p

21. cwheelin

cwheelin

Its done alot more than what most of you might think or maybe you just didnt notice....BUT I never seen it done to the newer style plates and yes they do have 1 more digit than the older ORIGINAL black plates. I was just seeing if anyone has done it to the newer kind of plates but may just bite the bullet and get an older set done which wouldnt be so obvious

Oh and they arent spray painted but powder coated first before the correct yellow is re applied

22. Yep. altering a Ca. plate is a ticket straight to the crowbar hotel. I wouldn't even try it. AND it'll get your Hot Rod impounded. Have fun.

23. Firstly, it's not a good idea to monkey with your plates. Do it at you own risk.
    Secondly, there seems to be a myth that doing so is a felony and you risk the very real consequence of imprisonment. Painting your plate is a VC misdemeanor and will result in a, possible, fine and a requirement to fix it. You will not go to trial, you will not meet Bubba, you will not need a lawyer. It is a fix it ticket. I worked in the penal system and never met anyone who was sent up the river for pinstriping his plates. Don't alter your plates, but if you do there will be minimal drama

24. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. So go for it.

25. rockbottom

rockbottom
    from PA

Hopefully they have internet in jail so he can update us on how it went :D

26. newrider3

newrider3

Why ask for opinions when you don't want them?

27. cwheelin

cwheelin

I didnt think it was possible as they look different but wanted to see if anyone has tried this with the newer plates but I will just get some older ones that were from that time frame. I just need to make sure they are DMV cleared first..Thanks to those that were cool about it

28. you would prolly be fine till you go out and have a few beers then a cop will stop you for your plates. damn you murphy

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

I see a car running around here with new plates painted black/yellow. They look fresh and stand out like a sore thumb. I have black/yellow plates on my '64 Fairlane. Original unrestored and when you see the two together the difference is so obvious. California is broke (or so they say). How much do you want to contribute to help erase the deficit?

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

The vehicle code sure seems to mention felony.

Vehicle Code 4463 VC -- Fraudulent vehicle registration

Vehicle Code 4463 VC California&#8217;s law against forging, altering, or falsifying vehicle registration, a license, license plate, etc. may be charged anytime you forge, alter, or possess such an item.

This means that if, for example, you possess an altered or counterfeit document or license that you pass off as authentic, you violate this law. Vehicle Code 4463 VC is a "wobbler" which means that the prosecutor could charge it as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the facts of the case, and your criminal history.

If convicted of falsifying / forging / altering vehicle registration as a misdemeanor, you face up to one year in a county jail and a maximum $1,000 fine.10

If convicted of this offense as a felony, you face 16 months, or two or three years in the California state prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.11