Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Guy's Scottsdale, Is it just me, or...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Mar 12, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Well, if the times are a changin', I won't be changin' with it. I too, do not care for the late model stuff than most anyone can buy by just signing a note. I appreciate seeing cars and trucks that people drive and have built.
    I always thought the '72 cut off was acceptable but, having all the late model stuff there Sunday was disappointing to me too. If I would have known about that change, I would not have gone.

In the future, will avoid Sundays at GG if they allow any year in. I am just not into late model cars at all. I have never owned anything newer than about 1981 and probably never will.

I had the exact same feelings when I attended a Good Guys show at Bakersfield several years back when I found more than a few PT cruisers parked with hot rods. PT cruisers? my gosh, what is next? This is a 'vintage' car show?? That is just not right. Vintage stuff deserves to be at its own shows.
    It is nice that Detroit is building fast and great handling cars but, they are not in the same league as someone who has built their own ride.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Applekrate, you just expressed my feelings better than I have! Sorry, not much of a Dylan fan either. I weathered the storm when stuff went form pre - 48 to '54. Ok. Then to '64. Still okay. Not quite as happy with the '72 cut off, but with the '48 out of commision a for a bit, it lets my driver '71 Maverick in. I have to admit with my head hung low, though. That car is by well over ten years the newest car I have ever considered owning. Period.

The ironic thing about this deal is that what really made me notice this was the inclusion of my 12 year old nephew into the mix. I have just reacently got him in my clutches to mold and teach the ways of hot rods having just moved back from Wisconsin with his mom. He had an early spring break and spent last week with me as I worked on several customer cars. During that time we ran around in a '29 roadster, a '27 roadster, a couple of Corvairs, and a mid fifties F-100. After spending the week learning how to wrench and sand and paint and even try welding, by Staurday at Good Guys he was hooked. As we walked he asked me every year and make of every car there and scrambled to the window sticker to check my accuracy... I missed one, a '36 Cadillac that I thought was a '37. On Sunday, He was the one that said "uncle, what's wrong, why are all these new cars here? I want to see hot rods!". so much for the youth angle with the new stuff! By the way, he can now tell the difference between a Model "A" and a Deuce...

3. I'm right with you on this one, and I think that the times are indeed changing. The cutoff continues to move towards later cars, but when you see late model Challengers, Camaros, Mustangs, and (ugh) PT Cruisers at a Goodguys show, I think the line needs to be drawn. I don't hold a personal grudge against anyone with these cars, but I think that Goodguys need to stay true to their cut-off rule. Maybe they could have an area strictly dedicated to these cars, and not have them sprinkled in with the pre-72 stuff? I don't get a warm feeling when I'm checking out a '34 coupe and there's a late-model Challenger with black 20" wheels next to it.

Years ago, a good friend of mine wanted to register his Camaro for the Route 66 show in San Bernardino. It's a nasty Pro Street car, beautifully done, but it's an '88, so they said no. He understood, but he went apeshit when he found out that the host club was allowing all of the PT Cruiser clubs to participate.

I agree with Philly the Greek. You have to let it go. Just grab some breakfast with your car buddies, roll into the show, check out the rides you like, and drive home. A good day of hanging out with car guys sure beats working out in the yard all day long.

Even though the turnout was light, I can bet there were some cool cars. Arizona has some nice cars, and the number is getting bigger every year.

4. hemi

hemi

I like the Super Sundays... and it's cool to see a young kid with his late-model Mustang or truck parked next to his father's street rod in the hotel parking lot just waiting for his chance to finally be able to show his car at the event and/or run the autocross....

Affordable, entry-level hot rodding rolls forward with time as used cars and their values fluctuate - the '80s Chevy trucks and fox-bodied Mustangs are today's affordable cars that are replacing yesterday's entry-level model As, tri-fives, '60s cars, early 70's cars, etc.... and participation is always light on Sunday as hot rodders head home. Who doesn't like more cars?

also, I liked the crop of winter residents and their cars in Scottsdale. I met a ton of nice folks from up north who do not get to the fall event, and were happy to be there...

5. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I agree with Hemi...
    I don't care for the late model, retro muscle cars or rebodied corvettes, so I just walk past them. What's the magic ratio (my kind of cars vs. NOT my kind of cars) for me? I don't know but when it happens, I'll pass on the show. Goodguys events are always a pretty good time for me.

Although if the GGs decided to go with a strict, say, '64 cutoff, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Probably hurt their attendance though?!

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I guess I am in the minority! I just don't get warm and fuzzy over late stuff at all. That's cool, I guess I just started this thread not so much as a rant, but more of an opinion poll/vent. As I said, I'm not going on an anti Good Guys crusade or never going again or anything, 'cause I really enjoy the shows. I just found this inclusion odd at best. Now if Sundays become a parking lot of new Corvettes and lowered semigloss black Chrysler 300s, (what the hell is that about?) I'll revisit my decision. I just thought that maybe some in the organization should hear that this is not fine and dandy with all.

7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I used to think the same way but anymore when I go to these events I look at what I am interested in and pay no mind to the rest, However I still have gripes about the ricers I just flat hate them.:mad: Personally I don't see these events Mainly GG's and NSRA as money grabbing organizations but more as just trying to survive in today's world and put on a enjoyable event.

8. I gave up on Goodguys a long time ago, but they are out to make a buck and they've gotta do what they've gotta do.

I just choose not to go to their events, plain and simple.

I've always been the youngster in hot rod circles and have hung out with my dad and his buds who were teenagers in the 50's. I figure it'll just be a few of us standing 25 years from now and nobody will want all this old metal.

I'll just drive it by myself at that point....and will still have the same smile on my face that I've always had when driving old tin.

Life's too short to worry about certain crap.

9. Thats why the call it "DEALERSHIP SUNDAY" More late model stuff than the dealers!! (or Hot Rods/Customs) Did not go Sunday and prob wont. I'm an old Fart and like my "HOT RODS AND CUSTOMS"! If the wife and I want to see new cars, there are many many Dealerships in the area! As I have said for years, " DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, WHAT EVER GETS YOUR JUICES FLOWING", its just that "DEALERSHIP SUNDAYS" just arent my "STROKE"!! (and I am a DYLAN fan) so I will stay home and work on my other "HOT RODS"! Have not missed a GGs here since they started and prob wont, that said, back to my "HOT RODS", they are never done!! (And I agree, its just a matter of bucks for Meadors)

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

I only made it on sunday and was alittle disspointed when i seen all the late model stuff but still what older cars that where there where nice. Next year i will have to make it on friday (saturday is Diesel drags for me in Whittman thats the main reason for me being down there) and forget going sunday.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Waaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa.

To see my opinion check one of the other 200 whiner posts.

Every time I get into it on one of these posts I waste my time. Like it, go. Don't like it, don't. Show me a better all around set of shows for the money.

Here's how it goes...

Goodguys (who by the way is a business) sucks because they do this or that to make money and/or improve attendance. Or if the attendance isn't high enough to keep putting on that event it's..Goodguys sucks because they left.

BORING!

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh god, here I go...

Tell me what Goodguys has claimed to be that it is not.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ok kirk .don't hold nothing back,tell us how you really feel!!!!
    carlos.

14. I would have driven down from Wisconsin if you had your Plymouth back together......:) maybe there are more guys like me waiting to see you put that one back on the road.........Centurion9

15. They stopped having the GG event in Madison Wisc. a few years ago. You'll realize what a nice show it was after it's gone. I'd stop whinning about it every time there's a GG show and just be glad you still have a show to go to. If you don't like the cars they let in, don't go. I'd gladly walk around a few newer cars to get them back here.

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've always looked at these bitch sessions (threads) as "people trying very hard to convince other people why their opinion matters more than anyone else's."

I've read all these and the majority of the other 'bash-Goodguy's' threads as well as the 'bash-NSRA threads' when they changed with the times...and I still cannot understand WHY people have to continually bash an organization that produces events for car guys, but I guess that's just human nature.

No matter what's posted, my mind will never be changed (by reading threads like this) about going to GoodGuy's or NSRA events simply because YOU didn't like something they did or didn't do.

Quite simply, I'm an individual...I think for myself and I'm not a lemming likely to follow some so-called opinionated "leader."

R-

17. That's exactly right, well said my friend!

18. AMEN and Amen Roger......I am a car guy. I like all kinds of cars. I enjoy all kinds of cars, and the HAMB is on my List....along with many others. Well said Sir.....Centurion9

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, you guys both said it well.

I attend over 30 car shows a year. About half are Goodguys. At all of them, even the most specifically dedicated out there, have something I don't care to see. What do I do? Walk past to see something I do like. Pretty simple really.

20. rckymtn3

rckymtn3
    from So Cal

wanna hate....hate TV....and if you're gonna hate TV....please, spend the hate on real housewives and that dufus west coast customs....

this DIY culture won't ever generate as much money as the Pay other people to do it culture....they'll always get invited....no matter what....

there's the "sneak your beers and balonie sammich in the race" guys

and then there's the other guys....

the beer-balonie crowd is ALWAYS more entertaining and knowledgeable

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Haha... You couldnt pay me to go to 30 shows a year. :D

Once every year or so is plenty for me.

I was going to go to GG this year with my latemodel ( early '70s).

But it wasnt done.

Oh well...

Maybe next year.

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, it adds up. My problem is that I like most any car that is well done.

23. hemi

hemi

You could me..... wait.... :D

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

I can see cool detail stuff on cars I dont like as a complete car most of the time, if its well done...

There is a lot of stuff out there I wouldnt want to own, but I'll share a parkinglot with them if the owners arent too obnoxious.

My latemodel wont have anything in common with the latemodels N L was talking about.
    But my '28 has nothing in common with the billet rides its been parked next to either.

I dont know what the current " vibe" of the event is.
    But I think I might check it out next year...

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

We're back in November. I'll make sure you go. Just hit me up.

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Allright, that gives me a date to shoot for. :)

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

can't wait 'til the Goodguys at Pleasanton coming up at end of the month so I can come back here and complain. that's the part I like the best.

28. hemi

hemi

LOL... We should just go on and open a whiner thread for the next three events before they even happen.... we need a template or something.

29. hemi

hemi

New complaint form:

Greetings fellow ____________ board members.

I attended ___________ Goodguys event. I drive a __________ and was unhappy with the _________ and the __________ that were not like mine. I paid _________ dollars and though it was cheaper than doing something else all weekend and it involved cars, I was ripped off because____________. Also there were too many __________ there, and not enough _________. I only like events with ____________ and my job isn't putting on car shows, it's ______________ so Goodguys sucks and I quit.

Disgruntled: ___________________.

30. CreatingCustoms

CreatingCustoms

Has to be. I was there Saturday and I didn't see anything that was late model, and I walked around for hours.

Lots of cool customs! It was my first time to the show.