Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

In the Southern United States they sold a "wide-track" Ford in the teens (60"?) for exactly the reason you describe, Kume; so I could see that having happened in NZ too.

-Dave

2. Attached Files:

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is a really nice looking car! I really like the lines...smooth, clean and racy. I actually like the way these bodies look on this car much more then I do on a T almost.

...Maybe it's because of the fenders on this one. Most of the Merc bodied Ts are run without fenders...which makes the bodies seem bigger and bulky. The fenders give the body a lean, racy look like the later Stutz Bearcat, Kissel Kar Goldbug Speedster and the early Daniels D-19 Speedster.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Man, we're the dark side now? I thought we were just the poor side. I mean, that's why Rufi, et al got into Chevrolets instead of Fords, isn't it? I know that's why I did - although I love the local history connection.

That Mercury speedster is cool. I like it better than the red one that you so often see. I've always thought a Ford Improved Car roadster would look good full fendered and with disc wheels, too.

-Dave

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    More work on the Panhard Bar, Steering and the Exhaust.

The upper frame mount for the rear Panhard bar has been bugging me. The length of rod needed to extend the the old perch casting aft of the rear cross member the correct amount of 5 1/4" inches made for too much leverage on it's weld to the shock mount. This caused concerns of bending or breakage under a large amount of force.

After dwelling on the situation for a few days, I came up with a solution:

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

The base plate will also be bolted to the frame, but I will get that drilled and ready to bolt when the chassis comes apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also messed around with mocking up the exhaust (want to get the rear hangers done before we paint the frame) so it can be mostly done when we start motor assembly:

[​IMG]

I am toying with placement and thought you all might like to chime in on what you like:

Option 1:
    [​IMG]

Option 2:
    [​IMG]

I like the look of option 2 myself ;)

Also got some more work on the steering brackets done. Wanted to add a stabilizer to support the back of the gearbox and grab the inside of the frame...so I made up some quick patterns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I made my patterns with the steering column laying down, this means that the four bolts that I used to hold this to the gearbox will need to be rotated at a starker angle then I have it here to mount up under the dash correctly.

In order to get this alignment and angle right and make a correct pattern.....I will need to set the body back on the frame, that's right...

I'm Putting the body back on the frame this Saturday :D

..It will be only temporary of course...but you will all get an exclusive look at what it will look like all back together! :eek: :D

.....needless to say, Stay tuned! ;)

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks great. I like the exhaust under the frame rail too. Keep at it, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.:D

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks 64! :D ....I sure as hell hope so! My deadline is fast approaching...and the end of the tunnel is coming up awful quick! :eek:

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I would withhold final judgment on the tailpipe until the body is on the frame, too. I'm tempted toward option one (yeah, I like stingers on VWs, too), but I'd have to see it together to know for sure.

I like the triangulated panhard bracket. My dad drilled into me from a young age - where you need strength, triangles are your friend!

-Dave

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

I agree....fortunately, we will have the opportunity to see that this weekend :D since I will be putting the body on to aid in the fab of the steering mount bracket.

I will have plenty of photos. ;)

That seamed like the strongest and the most effective way of salving the problem. I also liked the idea because most of the frame and crossmembers are tied together with triangular plates....so I tried to keep the theme... :rolleyes:

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, You sure have the eye for all the little details you are using in your build. Maybe you need a new handle - you know "MrModelT-Detail King' !" Ride is sure looking more than bad to the bone.

Dave :D

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

lol! I don't think that is necessary....There are some here that are far more detailed oriented and do far more incredible work then me.

...I'm just a kid having fun with his ol' Model T :D

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

wtf? have you teared it down? It was already perfect, but I guess this time it'll be over the top! Can't wait to see the outcome :)

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

I did tear it down, mostly because of my trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats this summer....I wanted to make sure that everything was right before we go.

I'm glad I did...because I found some things I was not happy with. It also gave me the chance to correct some things that I was never really happy with from the start.

It will still have the exact same look and feel as before...but with some killer refinements and extras... :D ;)

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    We got to play with the body!
    :D

This weekend was a bit of a mile stone...I got to change gears a bit this weekend and worked on the body for a bit...

[​IMG]

I started off by cutting the garbage sub frame I had built out of square steel tube under the turtle deck. I had come across an original and had always intended to switch it out...

Now was my chance.

[​IMG]

This correction totally changed the look for the car..and improved it ten fold! After installing the new sub frame...it was time to install the body on the frame :D The reasoning behind this was to aid in building the steering gear bracket..

[​IMG]

..oh who cares, lets get to the good stuff! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She does sit way higher in the back then before....but I like it, as this is the stance she was intended to have since the beginning. I think it gives her a far more correct, well built "gow job" look.

profile and stance, for your comparison...

Before (2010)
    [​IMG]

After (2012)
    [​IMG]

Also messed around with hood fit...

[​IMG]

And got a start on the steering bracket....was distracted by installing the body otherwise :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks great Clayton. You nailed the stance!

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looks great! Personally, I think the exhaust looks good where it is with the body on. I wouldn't have it stick out past the body either. Maybe a little shorter than where the end of the rear subrail is.

iPhone - TJJ app

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It looks great. I prefer the flatter stance, but I like it both ways.

-Dave

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks 64! I have to agree...the stance is really where its at in my opinion. Its just a 2 1/2" or 3" addition in the back and a 1 1/2" drop in the front...but it COMPLETELY changes the look of the car....night and day :D

I could not be more pleased.

I have to agree. I think it needs to move forward just a bit more to really look perfect...but I'm not at that point yet :D

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

I do miss it too, but I actually like the new stance better...to be honest.

If you notice in the "before" image...the rear end is actually sagging a little. The small addition that I gave it in the back also gives it a way heavier, beefier then before...but I didn't really do anything else.

20. A little playing with that rear spring and you'll have that flat stance back... :)

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

True.....but that was the whole problem to begin with.

With that flat, low stance....the was not enough clearance between the frame and the rear axle, so it always hit. Raising the rear end up a little higher gave me the needed clearance so that it won't hit anymore.

The only way to get it back that low without any interference issues would be to "Z" the rear cross member...which I am not doing.

Also, this was the stance that my car was always supposed to have...but I never got it quite right. I feel that the new higher stance fits the proportions of the car much better....IMHO :rolleyes:

22. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

I kind of felt the same way the first time he showed me, but It is growing on me...I was joking with Clayton that I might need a step ladder now to get in :D

23. castleman1111

castleman1111

Oh no!!! You ruined it!!!!! Lmao!! Just kidding!!!! Have fun!!!

24. That statement is just LOADED :D

I hear you Clayton- it does look good either way!

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

....And of course I forgot to mention that the rear end height is now adjustable. I have it on the highest setting now...but I can drop it another 1 1/2" if I want to ;)

26. jim galli

jim galli

Bravo for all the hard work. My vote doesn't count . . but I like the old hardtail look better. Just me.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

To be honest, I'm sorta surprised by everyone's preference to the flatter "hardtail" stance over the new "highboy-esqe" stance of the improved chassis. I guess that is what everyone knows and loves.....and anything else is strange and "not the original" :)

The original stance was actually not flat...it was lower in the rear then it was in the front and it suffered some serious clearance issues.

It was always my intent to give the car a slight rake. When the original build didn't get the look right, it was always on my "to do" list....I just never got around to it.

I feel that the new stance fits the car better proportionally, but to each his own :)

I guess I will mess around with adjusting the rear spring down to the lowest setting and see what we get. If the chassis hits like before however, she is going back up to the height seen above and will stay that way.

28. For what it's worth, I like the new stance Clayton. I think it suits the car better personally. Great job on the sympathetic rebuild. I am very close to starting on mine and it will be heavily influenced by yours. Well done sir!

29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I'm glad to see that it still looks as good as before! One of my favorite present days rods!!!

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

First the highboy rake, next 16-inch wire wheels with big-n-little Firestones, then a flathead V8... ;)

But don’t worry, you can send all the obsolete ‘20s and ‘30s parts you’ll be removing straight over to me. :D

-Dave

Outback likes this.