Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to CA DMV for black plate any advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fringe, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

I have a pair of black plates that I am looking to put on my '64. They are serviceable, "dmv clear" and are for a passenger car. I have a '64 tag, but it not clear to me which side of the plate I should put it on? Any advice when stepping up to the counter later this week?

2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Fringe...normally the year goes on the top right corner...the month would go on the top, left. I would leave it off though till you go down. Some vendors sell a little metal tab that is mounted above the plate where you would put that '64 sticker...but let the little tyrant at the DMV tell you how to do it..it makes them feel superior and generally makes the whole thing go easier....

3. Double back tape it to the top right corner worked for me.

4. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

First of all try to ask friends if they have been to DMV to do the same and who they dealt with. There are many clueless clerks at the DMV who know nothing about the YOM plate program. Better yet print it off their website might help.

5. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Thanks for the replies. Technically, the 1964 is suppose to go on the left side of the plate, but I have heard others say yea 1964 tag is suppose to go there but the clerks behind the desk will not have a clue and say it is wrong....wondering if anyone has had the experience?

6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Bring a snack! The black plates on my son's 67 GS are stamped with a "64" on the upper right front plate. It's registered in Arkansas now, so anyway I'm not alot of help so I'm sorry you read the entire post! Good luck amigo!

7. V C Section 5004.1 Model Year Date License Plates

Model Year Date License Plates

5004.1. (a) (1) An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars($20) that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

The DMV is supposed to send you an aluminum tab for the stickers so you don't spoil the look by putting new stickers on your vintage plates. These tabs are designed to bolt above or below your plates depending on what fits better. I am told they don't always send these so it wouldn't hurt to ask for them.

1964 California License Plates used 1963 base plates with 1964 sticker . 1963 through 1972 plates were 6 X 12. 1964 through 1969 year stickers went on the right side indentation. When used as a YOM plate, the 64 sticker will go on the top right and the current year tag will be displayed on a separate - alternatively, you can run them without the 64 tag and put the current year tag on the upper right (this is what would be used if the black plates had always stayed on the car).

8. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

1964 sticker would go on the left but make sure your plates are accepted before applying the sticker. if your YOM plates are accepted,the DMV will give you a couple aluminum tabs, to adhere the present month and year tags or you can purchase aftermarket plate frames that already have the tag spaces cast into the frame, (looks a little cleaner). I have only had one set of plates rejected and that was due to them being restored. I waited a few weeks and applied at a different DMV and they were accepted. It all depends on the clerk you work with. You shouldnt have a problem if your plates are clear and your paperwork is filled out correctly. Good Luck.

9. I had a pair rejected that had the year sticker on the left side. I pulled it off, put it on the right, and then they cleared them .

10. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

Thanks HotRoddo, Tommy,

Thanks for the responses. The plates are restored and done correctly, with the right sheen, colors and look original. I don't plan on using the metal tags, rather putting the month/year sticker on the plate when I get them.

I will go ahead and apply the 1964 tag to the top right (even though I know this is not correct for the year) and hope that I get a decent DMV clerk.

11. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

left side is the correct side for 1964. 1965 sticker would go on the right. 1966 back on the left. they alternated sides per year. DMV clerks arent the sharpest.

12. tommy v

tommy v

good luck , i just got a 63 riv found the og 63 black plates in the trunk so i took them down to dmv paid the $45 got a letter today saying[ the sticker or tab on the plate does not macth the model year [year of manufacture ] of your vehicle, wtf 63 plates 63 car

13. Did they have a later sticker on them?

14. tommy v

tommy v

yup 1988 the 63 sticker got covered up in 64

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I love Georgia hot rodding for this reason.

16. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

I got my 1936, restored, yellow plates registered and on my car last summer with only one trip to the local Ca. DMV office.
    No problem.

My only advice is ask if they have a resident "y.o.m. expert".
    Good luck.

Oh, and personally I think the tags are ugly so I don't have them on the plates.

17. tommy v

tommy v

don't they send all the y.o.m. stuff to sac anyway

18. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

kalifornia must have your money!

19. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Yes, your local field office sends the application to headquarters in Sacramento, but headquarters is not a regular field office, no public access. Good question Tommy.

It's only $45.

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Don't ask for the metal tabs that bolt on. I did and they immediately suspended my plates for not having a "sticker well" I had to hire someone to straighten the mess out. Took a long time. There was no reasoning with the old hag.

21. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Yes they do, but its just the paperwork they send. The plates are inspected by whatever clerk you get at the field office, so the Sacramento office never sees the actual plates, just the paperwork. So, don't hand over your YOM plates, they don't need them.

I put '56 YOM plates on my '56 last year. Fortunately '56 plates are the first in the series, so I didn't need any stickers (although one of the plates does have a 1962 sticker on it, no one said anything about it). But the plates never left my possession, and I got my registration in the mail about 2 weeks later (with those annoying little metal tags included). You also need to bring, and turn in, your current plates.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  22. If you have proof (old registration or pink slip) that those plates were registered to the car you can re run them like REGULAR plates, you'll have to fight but it can be done.

Where did the month sticker go then?

My '56 plates, I used rubber cement to attach the 1960 sticker (with the sticker backing paper intact), I believe you need to have the '64 sticker displayed at all times for the YOM setup....so you can't cover it with the current year sticker.

Lastly, be prepared to go to multiple DMVs to get the job done. If one DMV gives you trouble or says it can't be done go to another one and DON'T give them your plates to send in or hold (I've heard stories).

23. They didn't have month stickers back then. All registrations expired on Dec 31. The first year was pro rated. If you bought a new car in, say, June, you paid for six months and renewed for a full year in Dec

24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

1964, 67 and 69 went on the left. 1965, 66, and 68 went on the right. I have no idea why the DMV didn't simply alternate every year, but that would make too much sense.

25. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

They started the month stickers around 1977. DMV clerk knowledge varies depending on the office. If it looks like they don't trust your plates, end the process and get out before they do something nasty like send your plates numbers to Sacto claiming they are fake. You sometimes need to go to a different office to get them accepted. Unfortunately the knowledge in Sacto varies also and they can reject your plates due to their ignorance. Its amazing how a state that is billions in debt can spend a few hundred dollars in labor hassling someone trying to give them $45 to run plates on an old car. I know I sleep well at night knowing we are protected from the unspeakable horror of someone running a set of old plates that is not the correct shade of yellow...

26. Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the month stickers.

27. Offy 220

Offy 220

Oldpl8s,

Since you mentioned that "unspeakable horror of running a old set of black plates that are not the correct shade of yellow . . ." would you or someone know what the "correct" shade of yellow of is? I am looking for the correct shade to "touch-up" my plates - I haven't been able to find the correct shade available in a pin stripe paint container or in pint-size.

28. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have my paint custom matched at an auto paint store. rustoleum marigold is close

29. Offy 220

Offy 220

oldpl8s,

Thanks for the information. I will check out my local auto paint supply to see if they can color match it for me. Do you know what "shade" the black is - it looks like a semi-gloss or matte finish to me. My rear plate is in great condition - my front needs a little work and I am hoping I can make it look like the rear.

30. 2002p51

2002p51

Or it might not. When trying to register our car, back when we lived in San Diego, I showed the page, printed right off the DMV website, to the supervisor and she still told me I was wrong!