Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 50's cars as hot rods NOT customs...GALLERY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Aug 26, 2011.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Hmm.. Prime PhotoShop material.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

The blue car just needs some wheels and tires and its on! I forgot all about the Merc from the movie Cobra, I'm dying laughing! Only Hollywood could/can take a totally cool car and completely ruin it! Sheesh! One ugly-ass car!! Yo Sled, thanks for the good laugh!!

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The front wheel is a little disproportional but you get the idea.. The wheel combination comes from Dick Rash's Model A.

[​IMG]

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Maybe something kinda subtle like this? If JJ has to drive a Domestomobile it may as well be cool!:D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm having a hard time finding decent pictures of chrome reverses. All of the open wheel cars in my stash are all either early Ford wheels or wires. The good ones are all at a weird angle that wouldn't help too.

I found another one though. Here it is.. (the red tint is from an older picture)

[​IMG]

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The back wheel is a little funky. Haha.

[​IMG]

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

btt, looking for inspiration. I have started down the path of converting my 51 chevy into more Hotrod then custom. it is all apart, V8 is about to be dropped in, rearend is out and I am close to placing an order for a few set of tires and rims (similar to my photoshop picture a few post back)

must be a few more hotrod versions out there

8. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

52 chevy

[​IMG]

same car done in black.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. five1cadiman

five1cadiman
    from downey ca

Any early 50's caddys ! ?
    i have a 1951 myself! BTW their is some serious bitchin hot rods!

10. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

[​IMG]

cool thread with some badassed cars

11. deto

deto

I always wanted to take my 52 in my avatar this route. I thought it would look good with 12 spokes up front and pie crust slicks in the back with the rake it has now.

12. Latest project:

The idea is a street and strip car from the mid sixties.....
    (sorry about the "late model" , Jimmy)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

13. I remember that car quite well....both versions. I have a few pictures of it after the car was painted Black and pinstriped to Hell and back...(Irish?) Do you own the car now, or know where it is? I loved it in the initial Red and White....Magazine car in that configuration as I recall.....I'll look for those photos if you're interested.....Centurion9

14. Dont get me wrong, I love the 49-52 chevs, especially the hardtops but the wheel combo on this just isnt right .... I mean, dang, run matching spokes and if you dont then at least keep the set on the front and run chrome reverse or OEM on the rear .... mixing chrome spokes just doesnt fly in my mind.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for the photoshopping boys! I definitely would like my 150 to turn out similar to those. Right now I'm kinda stick on 53 Stude caps, lowered a little more up front and Silver Metallic paint for that car. I think it'll be kinda cool.

My brother gave me a 327 a couple weeks ago so it looks like it's going to have a pretty cool engine under the hood I think at least.

16. No drama Dude...but in the day...you couldn't always afford a matched set all at once...most guys who built cars did it as finances allowed, and like all true Car guys...they did things to please themselves, not an audience that didn't exist until 40 years later.........

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  17. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

If you could find more pic's that would be awesome. The car was my fathers he bought it from the original owner then had it sprayed candy red with the white top. Then he sold the car to a guy "Garry zebnick" i was just a kid back then but man i loved that car, if i knew where it was today i would try to buy it back as long as the price was rite :)

18. I actually ran my 54 like this with Cheaters for a year or so. Wheels were deep station wagon steelies in back and 5"ers in front

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Pics pics pics!!! I might have those Ansen 5 spokes that I have narrowed up so I can run a skinnier set of slick on them and swap them out every once in a while so I'd love to see how yours tucked up there.

20. Jeffy, I don't think I have a single shot of the car from that timeframe! I sure liked it with the Hursts under there:eek:

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Bummer!! That would have been awesome to see.

iPhone - TJJ app

22. It looked exactly like the blue one only with blackwalls. The cheaters were a snug fit but worked.

23. Found one bad shot. The front is much lower than it looks but it was sitting weird at the curb. This is from our 04 Sturgis HAMB and Hog cruise.

Attached Files:

• 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
  24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What color so I can get a real visualization? I keep seeing it dark blue with cragars but I know that's just me projecting my own thoughts on your old car haa!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ahh never mind! Why can I not enlarge that image?

26. That is WAYYYY faded 70s paint. it actually was a metallic green but I have about rubbed through it over the years. I bought this from Zeke in fall 2001 and hauled it back from Denver in a blizzard. Looks the same today minus Cheaters. It now has narrow WWs.

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am thinking hard about running cheater slicks under my 51. had them on my 57.. sure you had to be careful but it looked cool and in a tight fender, the squared off tire minimized tire bulge and side wall rubbing..

It looks like I am going to get those Real Rodders that are on my photoshop photo a page or two back. I am looking at 15x5 in front and 15x8 (full reverse) or possibly 16x8.

what do you guy think.. is the staggered 15" front 16" rear wrong? I have seen it done and some times it looks great.

28. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

here is a start on one

Attached Files:

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

16s and 15s would be fine, I think. DO IT!

30. Nice Chevy Jeffrey!

Hey, I don't know how Jimmy feels but, with respect, can we keep this from becoming another 'Photoshop' thread? If we keep down the duplicate, triplicate, etc. posts, there is more band width for more cool, early 50's cars and hot rods not customs...(Like Jeffrey's)