Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opening a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDY M, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

funny thing is there is 2 sides to every coin. I myself would never own a Kustom or a sled as they are called in my circles. It isn't that I don't admire the craftmanship or the skill that goes into fabbing one (ever see a chop done on a 49 or 50 model anything and you will see what I mean!) it is just that I have always like to go fast. I also really like to see the mechanics of a rig be it a bike, car, boat or plane. In my world anyhting that adds weight or doesn't have a function should not be there. a motor was never made to be dipped in chrome or covered up. But like you guys said, I like what I like and you like what you like. This thread is interesting but truth be told I would love a 33 or 34 over the 32 if I had the choice. Thanks Andy for posting it.

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

WOW, Sir you should be proud ! Very Nice build but a 55 Caddy still can't compare to a 32 Ford. To each his own. Enjoy your ride.

3. Good work on a cool car... I thought it was going to be more Traditional but I can dig the choice of disks but any more use of billit it be like Rock and Roll turning to this... still fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFl_QKkLxXc

It's your Prerogative... enjoy!!!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5cDLZqe735k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Hahaha, someone sees, what they think is a MII crossmember (I'm thinking it's just shock mounts), and some of the rest of y'all are off and running....GM crate motor, BILLET, MII, Foose wheels....

I'm guessing this car is going to fit MY idea of a nostalgic build, I'm also guessing it's going to be bitchin', already is. Could be wrong, could take a left turn at any moment, but I haven't witnessed this yet.

My step-dad used to say, you'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope. Never really understood it then, I do now. I don't know how I missed this thread, but am enjoying it vicariously, as this guy is progressing faster than I ever seem to.

One last thing. I saw the pics, but still have to ask...
    You sure this thing was found INSIDE the building?! Damnnnnn.......

5. ANDY M

ANDY M

WELL WELL WELL :D
    It has been a while, but we are back. The deuce has returned to Classic Resurrections for a lot more work.
    Ed and I paid a visit to see what was happening at the shop. This is the first time that Ed has seen the car in three years, since it left his garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ANDY M

ANDY M

just a reminder, please don't try this at home. Matt is a trained professional, with the tools and skill to bring this car back to life. And, as if I have to remind you again, if you want him to change what he's doing to what you would like, please send him the amount of cash that you think it will take to make those changes. Or, just STFU.

[​IMG]

A lot of work has been done since last year, mostly to prepare the body for painting. From what I have been told, spraying the paint is the easy part. Getting the body to look perfect is the hard part.
    Matt is truly a magician when it comes to mental working.

[​IMG]

7. ANDY M

ANDY M

Since the car was a basket case to begin with, the time needed to repair all the places that were rusted out is enormous. An incredible amount of hand fabrication to replace metal where no aftermarket parts were available takes a huge amount of patients and time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ANDY M

ANDY M

The rear wheel wells for a three window with a rumble seat have to be hand fabricated.some of the sheet metal is cut and formed by Matt one piece at a time.

[​IMG]

The original rusted panels are used as a template so that the pieces to replace the rust can be cut and formed before being welded to the body.

[​IMG]

9. ANDY M

ANDY M

10. ANDY M

ANDY M

Matt consults with Ed on how the work is progressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ANDY M

ANDY M

These are the headlights that will grace the front when done.not exactly for a 32, but close enough for Matt.

[​IMG]

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool car.

interesting story.

anybody who had negative comments about the SBC must be some sort of trying to be cool poser.

13. ANDY M

ANDY M

Remember how this car looked when uncovered? We are still finding remains of untold generations of rodents.:p

[​IMG]

At some time in the past, it looks like this car was painted blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I have for now. Ed is very pleased with the speed and quality of the build so far. Having not seen the car up close for three years, it took a while for Ed to soak it all in. He was all smiles from the time we walked into the shop until I dropped him off at his house.

[​IMG]

14. flathead okie

flathead okie

Hey, thanks for the update.
    That looks like the same bellybutton SBC I'm using for my 30 coupe:D

15. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Thanks for the great pics and sharing this story here. I love it!!:D

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I guess Matt has never heard of Brookville...they have ALL the necessary patch panels to fix that body.

I am also deeply chagrined that this highly anticipated deuce build is slowly turning into another billety street rod...oh well, at least another 3w has been saved.

oh wait...I was supposed to shut the fuck up...sorry, my bad...carry on.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Thanks for the updates and glad that you got Ed out to see what was happening with his old car.

18. Good to see some progress. A bit off topic but what's with the spiked hub caps on the flamed Merc on the hoist in the background, the one with the spikes all the way onto the sidewall of the tire? Do I have to get my eyes checked or am I missing something here.

19. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

It's always satisfying when a previous long term owner gets to see the progress on a car that they clearly cared about.

-KK

20. Great story Andy. Thanks for taking the time to document and share it especially considering you don't even have a dog in the hunt. :)

21. This car is looking good. I just have to ask if it was Old Man Rivers that sold the car. I've never seen a car come out of storage that looks like it sat in a river for all this time. What yall have made from just the bones is amazing. Good job. :D

22. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Andy is upset that people on this traditional hotrod forum are disappointed that this car is turning into something that is not a traditional hotrod, disk brakes and mag wheels. Poor Ed is not getting wish for it to be turned into a traditional hotrod 1951 style too.

23. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

just read through the entire thread for the first time......man that's a cool story!!!!!!

24. ANDY M

ANDY M

[​IMG]

I hadn't noticed this before, but those are some wild wheel covers! Don't park too close to the curb, and you should be OK.

25. ANDY M

ANDY M

"My step-dad used to say, you'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope. Never really understood it then, I do now."

Even after 3 years of just TELLING a story, without having any other reason to belong to this website, I still have to read replies that are negative. :mad:
    3wLarry, did it ever cross your mind to suggest nicely that there may be a resource that Matt doesn't know about. He may have only 20 years of professional metal fabrication, but that doesn't mean he knows every parts supplier in the USA.

chrisntx, did Ed look unhappy? Was there something I missed that only you seem know about? Matt is building this car a a labor of love that he will hang onto for as long as he can. His goal is to have a car that is safe to drive anywhere he wants to go. If you want to drive a car that can't stop in the rain, but it meets your requirements for a "Traditional" Hot Rod, by all means do so.
    I looked through the social groups listed here, maybe you should go rag on some of them. DeLoreans? Really

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They're pretty silly, hell downright stupid even. :eek:

1st, if you don't know who Brookville is and you're working on a 32 you might want to get out of the game.

2nd, this place is about traditional hot rods and customs, you seem to miss that part over and over. As for the social groups, one of the reasons that the social groups exist is for off topic stuff to be discussed, to keep it off the main board.

27. johnboy13

johnboy13

How come some of you weren't all over Badshifter when he posted about the 70's street freak website? Or is it just cause this guy's still a newbie?

28. Great story! You cant please everyone.........at least the cars been saved........the next caretaker will change it his way.......and on it goes

29. Cool story and it looks great. I can't talk shit about the billit, or the brakes, engine, and some of the other things picked apart during the last 17 pages cause my car is not perfect. What I can say is for the love of God please do not put in a digital dash, once a car starts heading in the direction that your car is it always ends with a digital dash.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so lets see... guy finds a old timer with a 32 3 window in his garage, lets a friend with the proper skills know about it, and it is being put back on the road with the best V8 ever built, along with a "modern" axle and hairpins, with disc brakes and this is some how a bad thing.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: