Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter Project: 1957 Pontiac Starchief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Feb 7, 2009.

1. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks a lot! Have really been meaning to do a final update, for now, on it. But I have just been beyond busy trying to catch up with house projects and a couple other things that I had neglected over the summer. Plus I found out you spend much less time cruising the HAMB when you can actually go out and cruise your car!

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Great ending for a righteous build !!! Looks Fantastic

3. poncho55

poncho55

Bryan, What a great build! Absolutely love the colors! Maybe see you at the Syracuse Nationals some day. Just a question, are those the original hubcaps that came with the car? Love the Indian head centers.

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

I actually took the Indian head ones off for now and put the factory '55 covers back on. The indian head ones are from 52-53-54??? I think. I have 6 nice ones of those that I've picked up at swap meets over the years. Actually found 5 nice '55 covers at the junkyard.

1957 Pontiacs all came with a 14 inch wheel, some one had put 15 inch wheels when I got it. I also needed to run the 15's to clear my disc brake set-up.

5. poncho55

poncho55

I have 15" wheels on mine - my brother thinks they are from a suburban. They have the Pontiac script hubcaps. I have a set of '60 Caddy hubcaps that I have removed the emblem on and will either custom make some Indian heads for the center or get some that are available. Have also picked up the Caddy rims which will accommodate the caps. Can you provide a close up of those Indian Heads? Might be a good item to hunt at the swaps meets.

6. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Sir, You have built a beautiful car!

I have a question, if ya don't mind. Did you make or buy your floor patch panels? I've been told that the Pontiac has differnt pans from a Chevy. If you bought them, where did you get them from? Thank you for your help.

7. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Beautiful car. Really like the colors.

8. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks!

I actually made the floor pans with a little help from a good friend. Chevy pans are different. There is a guy on ebay selling floor pans, but they are just random shapes with lines bead rolled in them. I have a pair, somewhere, that some one else PM'd me about.... Got to find 'em...

Do not waste your time buying the ebay ones, easier and cheaper to just make your own. I also have the templates I used to make mine. How big are the holes in your floor? If you have the skills to replace a floor pan you have the skills to make your own!

9. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thank you! The pictures really don't do it justice. It just pops in the sunlight.

Jim Lato likes this.
  10. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

The 57 is looking great. Did you rebuild the motor? My 316 has 103,000 miles on it and I would like to continue running it, but I am worried about expensive repairs and how much it would cost to rebuild it. Thanks for the help with the Breather Tube replacement question!

11. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Just saw this post, realize it's a little old. Working on a 57 Star Chief ragtop, it's a driver.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

This seems worth digging back up. I'm going to pick up our "new" 58 Star Chief 4-door hardtop on Saturday. I like what you've done with this one! We too have decided to keep the factory paint scheme.

Do you still have the car? Ever take any video of it, or have pics of it on the street or at shows?