Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Motor - Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Mar 8, 2012.

1. yardgoat

yardgoat

It is a 440, 400,s did not have the small flat block in front of intake on left side facing the motor,some 413 had this as well but you have 5 bolt valve covers and all 400/440 had this, early 413 had 4 bolt valve covers.Scrape off the paint on that small 1.5 in by 2.5 in flat block on driver side of intake and you will have your answer,it to the right of the distributor facing the motor.If it has a hp thats a high performance.Internaly balance is a narow h,balancer ,the thick one you have is externaly balance.I do note they did use long wires to the plugs. If your comming towards Ga ill buy it if the price is right..............................YG

2. 63 was the last year for the 4 bolt valve covers.

3. slicksona66

slicksona66
    from Lincoln Ne

Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

4. 62rebel

62rebel

small block Ford? really? behind the MoPar big block?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Mopars have the engine size and date cast right on them, on the side of the block. It doesn't get much easier.

And the engine looks mid-late 70s, and they quit making big blocks around 79, so it's not likely to be from the 1980s.

[​IMG]

6. Squirrel thanks for the pic. pretty much takes the guess work out of it doesn't it.

7. I say Mopar, DON'T throw it away. Or the HAMB police will beat you with an H-Beam connecting rod severely about the head and neck. ouch!

8. Fahlin Racing

Fahlin Racing
    from Ohio

Weren't some 440s cast with a 430 at some point?

9. a friend just paid $500 for one to rebuild for his AWB dart

10. sololobo

sololobo

Nice I.D. work crew. Looks like a keeper to me. Yuk, damn ugly MoPars, I love em!! ~sololobo~

11. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Found casting numbers 4006630-440-10. Looks to be late 70s 440. Anyone in Southern Utah interested? Thanks for all your help, guys.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is this answer from after you read post #1 or after reading 35 previous posts before posting yours Robert ;).

13. 73RR

73RR

Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

As to the 440, I don't know about other parts of the country, but around here the Mopar B-RB just don't get any respect, which is good when you are buying but not so good when selling. I see them regularily on craigslist in the $500 range.
    Even the late models like yours are excellent engines that will pull a house off the foundation.