Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dash mounted STARTER BOTTONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Mar 9, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't want to look at keys on my dash, and just think pushing a starter button to get an engine to spring to life is a neat feature. What is out there, what have you found to work well?

2. Not sure what is out there but if I was thinking of doing this I would not mount it on the dash ... easily accessed but hidden would work great as an anti-theft device I would think. I have actually toyed with this idea myself, just haven't gotten any further yet .. will be watching this post for sure.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Ive Used an early Land Rover push start button. super heavy duty part, and has a bakelite knob that has a nice art deco style pattern to it. Says "PUSH S" on it.

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Car thieves much prefer this method 10 to 1 over key ignitions.

5. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

A round chrome push button (about 1/2-3/4" diameter) from a 1940-51 Ford, Lincoln or Mercury were common in the 1950s/1960s.

Nothing better than a 1950s (can't tell you the exact years) Buick starter switch. It was under the gas pedal - you depressed the gas pedal to the floor to activate the starter. I was visiting a friend who is the manager of an auto repair shop a while back, he couldn't figure-out how to start this old Buick. He asked if I knew how, so I showed him. ;)

If you like a traditional Ford starter button, you can install a toggle switch on the ignition wire to prevent easy jumping.

6. the starter button in my 50 ford is from o'reilly's, it's worked fine for ten years.
    yes, the factory ford buttons do look nicer though.

7. nifty

nifty
    from UK

All you have to is hide the key ignition someplace and have the push button on the dash. I also run a hidden battery cut off switchand fuel pump cut out as well.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My 56 Buick had the starter switch on the carburetor, not the floor. Vacuum operated check ball and spring worked perfectly every time!

A push button starter switch is easy. Shutting it off is another issue......

9. barry wny

barry wny

Tractor supply, or a vintage parts dealer like Mac's, or like gauges out of a junk big truck

10. Well they make an actual starter button or momentary switch. Any autoparts store would have one. I bought my last one @ NAPA they had rubber covered ones and chrome ones about 15 bucks for the chrome one give or take.

I have the starter switch or switches (I think I have 2 or 3 of them maybe) from my Stude Commander. They are just a momentary switch, the old fashioned toggle with the little lever with the ball on the end.

Yes we do. Oh did I say that out loud? :D:D

Actually most older cars had some sort of a key that charged the ignition system and the starter button was separate.

11. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

I had a neat setup in my sedan, It used a key and a push button...The Column was from like a 40 ford truck or something, had a key on it that when turned would unlock the on off switch, you turn that on then I had the rubber covered push button under the dash...Little added security, didnt have to c the keys and could still use the push button. The buttons are at advance auto i know for sure was abotu 8 bux with the rubber cover and copper terminals looked nice worked real well.

12. WDobos

WDobos

To all those talking about hidden starter buttons and switches,here's my thought. Your car or truck is stalled in the middle of a busy intersection there's a large tractor trailer headed straight for you and your screwing around trying to get a hold of your hidden starter control. I'm sure what's going through your mind at that piont is "boy am I cool with this hard to get at hidden switch" Safety before looks for me anyday! Cool or not!

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What engine are you trying to start? That will determine what type of push button that you need.

I really wanted a genuine early Ford push button on my dash to start my belly button SBC mainly for looks. I had to add a horn relay to the starter system to make it work but I got what I wanted.

You can get lots of generic buttons that are easier to wire but they look like generic buttons.IMHO

Most guys just buy a generic button with 2 terminals on the back. Press the button and the juice flows through the button on down to the solenoid on a GM engine and the engine turns over. If your ignition switch is on it will start right up. If you forget to flip the switch or turn the key it will crank but not start until you hit your forehead with your palm and turn the switch on:D

I like to use the old Ford column drop with the ignition sw on the back.

It comes down to what solenoid you are using. If it needs to get current to energize then you need a 2 terminal button. Early Ford buttons only have one terminal because the button just completes the circuit to ground and pulls in the solenoid that way.

I love all the new car ads extolling their new push button start.:D

The man that built my 34 P/U used the column switch but hid the starter button vertically behind the dash board flange right at the door. I can reach through the door, flip the stock switch lever down, push the button up and never have to get in the truck. That can be a nice thing if you are working on the carb or something.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  14. I'd like to go back to the push button on my Merc. Anybody want to draw up a wiring diagram to show how to wire the button back in?

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

More information is needed. What engine is it? What year Merc are we talking about and does it still have the original harness and ignition sw. or a streetrod harness? A modern tilt steering column? You say it has been changed so what was done to it?

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I knew electricity would make this idea ugly, all I wanted to do was drill a hole in the dash for a push button, a NICE LOOKING one. The Roadster will have a 354 HEMI and a T-10 if that info is needed. Keyed switch would be under/behind the dash. Will this deal add another mile of wire to the car?

17. Rem

Rem

There was a thread on Fordbarn recently, regarding the quality/durability of the push-buttons. I think that the conclusion was that modern ones really need a relay for the actual starter, as tommy did, to get any sort of life out of the contacts.

18. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Someone put a hole in the dash of my '32 a long time ago for one of the '40 style buttons. I left it because I like it, but I installed a toggle switch under the dash so it would not have any power unless I turn it on and am starting it. When installed as they were in '40s, with the single-small-terminal on the solenoid, then they just complete the ground to the solenoid, as previously mentioned, so any time they are pushed they will power the starter which could be bad if the button were accidentally pushed by someone not intending to start it.

19. Bob, you could always go stock and do a foot-activated starter button :)

20. F&J

F&J

Simple works best and early Fords got it right. Like Tommy said, the Ford columns had the ign switch right at the column drop, as well as it being a column lock. The key only unlocks the switch and unlocks the column lock. Then there is a flip lever to turn the ignition power on/off. You don't need to touch the key to start it or shut it off, just flip the toggle lever. Then use the key to "lock" the column and ignition. Easy wiring, too.

The stater button is then on the dash like was said.

It's the perfect solution for an old rod IMO.

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Here is my idea of the day... put a 2nd dimmer switch in as your ignition key... with a small push button wherever you choose for your starter... It holds enough amperage to work as a key ignition and if you have higher current demands just put relays on them..

Or you can make your exist dimmer into one or use it on a 4/80 pack relay as a main battery disconnect..

22. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I had a friend who had put a button at the base of the stock cigarette lighter and put the keyed ignition switch under the dash. Insert key, turn to on, push in lighter and the car would start.....always tripped me out

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thats Old skool but still cool..

24. F&J

F&J

Bob, since you worry about safety a lot :)...there is another good reason not to hide the ignition switch, and a great reason to use the stock Ford column toggle switch...

Lets say you need to shut the motor off real quick due to a gas leak or wires burning, etc, and this happening in traffic with the car moving...

Rather than fumbling with a hidden switch, a quick flip on the column lever makes so much more sense.

25. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Hot Rod Leather is a HAMB vendor and he sells a starter pushbutton that says start on it.
    I made a switch panel under the dash of my A that has his ball end toggle switches and the start switch.
    I mounted a key switched battery disconnect under the dash semi hidden that kills power to the fuse block and also a fuel solenoid cutoff switch.
    I didn't want a traditional key switch and this turned out great IMHO.
    I think there are pictures in my album of the switch panel I made and it is just a piece of left over subrail.
    None of what I have is hard to get to so there would be no fumbling around with it.
    Just think it out and it will be plenty safe.

26. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Here a picture of it.

[​IMG]

27. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Heres a few more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

28. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

For those of you worrying about shutting it off the toggle on the left marked ign turns the coil power on and off so its just flip of a switch to kill it.
    My setup is about as simple as it gets.

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

If I were to do a push-button start, I'd use a relay latching circuit so the same button pushed to start is also the same button pushed off. It's do-able and easy, don't have the schematic in front of me, Google it.

Also I'd use a sturdy switch and it'd be unmarked.

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

TSC keyed switch to the left of the gauges.

Ford push button starter in the middle of the cluster.

Attached Files:

• 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      443 KB
      Views: