Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight bead roller ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy32, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Anyone using a Harbor Freight bead roller let us know how you like it if it is worth the money and show us some samples if you have one of them the finish product. Or if you modified it for the better.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Frenchy I have seen threads showing how people stiffened the beadroller with a frame. I have one and have used it a little bit, enough to see how the plate flexes and why it needs to be reinforced. In fact you can borrow mine if you want to try it out. I'll be at Gooddguys this weekend and could bring it.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Seriously use the search function and you'll get more answers than you can handle.

4. Yeah, there are some good bead roller threads on here. There's an old hot rodder here in so cal that makes good quality rollers with different sized throats and also sells blank dies you can turn on a lathe and make custom profiles with.

William's Lo Buck Tools

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

6. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks for the offer. If you could e mail me your phone # and we can talk. I am working this weekend will not be able to attend the Goodguys. Working on a new project.

Thanks !!!!
    Frenchy

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Since the HAMB search doesnt work well, use Google, search HAMB, BEADROLLER

8. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I appreciate all of your post on my subject.

Thanks
    Frenchy

9. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

it is unusable out of the box. needs stiffening to do anything in steel... Once it's beefed up, it works ok, forget about cranking and holding a piece by yourself, even with a steering wheel. Be prepared to have a buddy over.

I bought the mittler brothers after modifying my HF... haven't looked back. $650 isn't much when you dont have to buy it again.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are lots of threads all over the net on those. Several on here that show how guys reinforced them to work better.

If you catch one on half price sale and buy it knowing the limitations and do the modifications it should work ok for a guy with a home shop that isn't trying to do production work.

11. budd

budd

there must be 15 threads on this, but this is my first comment, i bought one and tried to roll a bead in 16GA, pointless, think of it like a bead roller kit that still need some assembly, i'm going to start with two new pieces of 1/2" plate and go from there, i also have a few gear drive motors from power beds i want to use to power it.

12. Glen

Glen

Frenchy...they suck, you need an electric motor to keep everything smooth. I know how you build stuff and you wont be happy with the inconsistent beads it makes.

You are welcome to bring your panels over and use my Mitler bros

[​IMG]

13. XXL__

XXL__

Nerd tip... enter google search as follows--

beadroller site:jalopyjournal.com

14. Glen of all the people I know you build some of the nicest stuff I have seen.I am overwhelm with the cars you build. If you do not mind I am going and buy some sheet metal and stop by when you want me too to put a few beads. Two small pieces all I have for the sub floor for my new project.

Thanks
    Frenchy

15. SUCIO

SUCIO

learn something new everyday. This function is pretty helpful. thanks

16. Search seems to work just fine,,,HRP

<table class="tborder" id="threadslist" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_678546" title="Anyone using a Harbor Freight bead roller let us know how you like it if it is worth the money and show us some samples if you have one of them the finish product. Or if you modified it for the better. Thanks Frenchy">
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 16, Views: 775">
    </td> <td class="alt1" align="center">
    </td> <td class="alt2" align="center">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_621900">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_621900" title="I hate it when the tool becomes the project. Ok so when I took on my most recent project econoline I realized I would need to be able to roll beads sooner or later. tool budget is rather small and I rarely buy new tools. I did alot of reading on bead rollers and with full understanding that I..."> [​IMG] Heartbreak at Harbor Freight: bead roller ([​IMG] 1 2 view all)
    cl350rr
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 29, Views: 3,384">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_507574">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_507574" title="I know a lot of folks get sand in their nether regions when you mentioned harbor freight. and I know that Covell thinks that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them... However... I didn't find anything here on Eastwood. Has anyone had any experience using their planishing hammers,..."> Eastwood instead of HF (Technical)
    grf-x
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 13, Views: 977">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_258732">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_258732" title="Just got my new bead roller from woodward fab. Its weak and flexes alot so need to gusset the bottom and top. Looking for ideas on how to make it look cool at the same time. Post your pictures please"> [​IMG] lets see your Bead rollers ([​IMG] 1 2 3 view all)
    067chevy
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 43, Views: 4,478">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_396350">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_396350" title="- I'm trying to decide whether to spring for a horror freight 18'' Sheet Metal Fabrication Kit (34104-1VGA) and Adjustable Guide Fence (36474-4VGA). http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34104 Seen some ok reports about these and I need to fab up two door jamb..."> harbor freight 'sheet metal fab' kit ie bead roller
    yeahRight
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 3, Views: 1,394">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_395197">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_395197" title="So I bought one of the cheapo HF bead rollers today , as I need to roll some beads and raise a panel for an old sprint car I'm working on. What I want is a set of dies for a 3/4&quot; bead. Does anybody make extra dies that would fit the HB rollers? Cheers, Stewart."> Dies for HF bead roller?
    Limey Kid
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 6, Views: 952">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_340663">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_340663" title="There are countless &quot;Harbor Freight Sucks&quot; threads...and they pretty much do if you think you are getting high quality tools for a dollar. I have found that there is some decent stuff there. I happen to like and haven't had any real issues with their: -4.5&quot; cutoff wheels -Spring loaded..."> [​IMG] OK: How About a POSITIVE HARBOR FREIGHT Thread??? (Technical) ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page view all)
    KIRK!
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 347, Views: 25,361">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_308335">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_308335" title="Hope to help guys learn a lesson before this happen: Last night was putting the 430 motor in the '62 Lincoln-- yep, 750lb beast. Harbor freight 2 ton engine hoist-- set at 1.5 ton. Harbor freight hoist to engine leveler--- $20 bucks worth. Well, the all thread / handle adjuster of the..."> [​IMG] 911 and E.R.-- courtesy of Harbor Freight ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page view all)
    notebooms
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 172, Views: 11,083">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_283773">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_283773" title="What I'm looking for is a part or parts that needs to be made that is not currently Do not have the ability to cast alum parts, like valve covers, etc and not really interested in making a one off bracket of some sort More like 4 bar brackets, motor mount stuff anything that we can..."> [​IMG] Mfg of special parts ..looking for projects (Technical) ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page view all)
    Big Dad
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 72, Views: 3,060">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_251138">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_251138" title="guys is there any interest in me approaching a local machine shop buddy to make harbour freight bead roller dies. I hoping he can make these dies for a reasonable price .. for us that use the HF roller it would be nice to have a dies assortment ... Any suggestions designs ....?"> Harbor freight Bead Roller Dies
    testpilot
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 11, Views: 3,616">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_182459">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_182459" title="So I hate Harbor Freight. You can read about it in multiple posts on here. But I caved. I knew it was going to be a piece of Chinese crap but yet I ordered one. I figured that the cost of steel and the anvils made it worth it. Now I'm setting on the path to fixing the damn thing. I'm gonna track..."> [​IMG] Harbor Freight English Wheel.. can it be fixed? ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page view all)
    zman
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 73, Views: 8,290">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_178806">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_178806" title="So, i got myself one of &quot;those&quot; Harbor Freight bead rollers about a year ago to help with making floor pieces in the willys... turns out i didnt need beads rolled in the pieces i ended up making, and the roller was as flimsy as everyone predicted... roller and dies end up sitting on the shelf till..."> TECH: Driving Miss Beadroller. . .
    FiddyFour
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 14, Views: 1,541">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_151104">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_151104" title="They have them on sale this week for 99.99 and ive needed one more times then i can count. i thought this would be a good way to spend some of my x-mas cash. But ive all so done some reading online and got some mixed reviews. even found some post on google from 2002 or so on here. any rate..."> [​IMG] Harbor freight Bead roller. who has one? ([​IMG] 1 2 view all)
    DIRTYT
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 21, Views: 1,665">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_110477">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_110477" title="anyone have ideas on making your own bead rollers:confused:"> bead rollers *&^%$
    heavy
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 11, Views: 668">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_31211">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_31211" title="I would like to create a Model A Ford beltline like the one in the attached photo. I don't think it is available as a repro part (is it?). I'm thinking one way would be to create a mold (buck) from an original part in the same way you would make a fiberglass mold. I think this is the way..."> [​IMG] Let's make some bucks ([​IMG] 1 2 view all)
    Rand Man
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 28, Views: 671">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_23462">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_23462" title="I'm putting a new metal floor in my coupe, and I'm gonna have to beadroll the floor panels to strengthen them. I've been looking at bead rollers on the web, and this one looks pretty good from an engineering point of view. Have any of you used this? Is there another you'd suggest? Any info is..."> Bead Rollers
    Chaz
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 3, Views: 444">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_1811">
    </td> <td class="alt2">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_1811" title="I know a couple people here use them, did you get them on sale and how good was the sale? I am thinking about getting one for my school shop but I have a REAL low budget so I'd to hit a sale if I could. Also, didn't someone post some pics of how they reinforced the frame?? I'd like to see that..."> Harbor Freight bead roller and shear
    Dan
    </td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 15, Views: 1,042">
    </td> <td class="alt1">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Backed mine up with 3" x 3" 0.375" wall. Rolls a nice even bead when my lovely assistant turns the crank. No reason to spend more.

18. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

don't have pics of what I did but they do flex I added 1/4 angle iron to mine it helped a great deal just run it down the arms

19. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

I agree with Gimpy. I welded some 1/4 wall 2x3 to it and added a steering wheel and a "wheelman" - Works great!

20. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thank You for all your comments on this subject.

Frenchy

21. i know this is an old post but this is what i did:

a little diversion.....i have some sheet metal parts to make for the MGA coupe and since little joe went back to college i need another set of hands....or a motor
    heres the install materials: mometary foot switch, dayton gear motor which spins at 2.8 RPM, reversible drum switch, and a vintage crank for creating tension, jaw coupling from McMaster Carr
    [​IMG]
    the old business end a 25mm shaft on the crank
    [​IMG]
    an already beefed up HF bead roller which doesnt deflect
    [​IMG]
    the mock up using a hose clamp to keep everything together and lined up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wiring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "power in" is the power cord white and black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mocking it up to weld
    [​IMG]
    cut out of 1/8" sheet steel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the offset was just where ever it landed but it is parallel to the bead roller
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    drum switch mounted
    [​IMG]
    test run to make sure everything works right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    it works perfectly tomorrow it gets disassembled and painted then the final wiring, and the tension wheel crank gets added

22. finished up the mock up and painted it.
    cuts 18 really easily
    [​IMG]
    16 ga was a little more labored but it still did it but was not an issue
    [​IMG]
    heres the motor information
    [​IMG]
    final wiring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    final reassembly tonight
    [​IMG]