Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuces

Deuces

Un believable!!! Hahahahahaha.....

2. But isn´t "just seen..." simply an abreviated version of saying "I have just seen..."? So you can say either "I just saw..." or "I have just seen...", but neither are wrong.

3. Low mileage "23,000 miles on the odometer which is believed to be original"
    Meanwhile the car is very rusted and ton of grime on the engine. If it was a low milage car, it sure had a rough life. Not saying there are not any more true low mileage cars out there but most odometers have clearly turned over . The owner of the car thinks they have a real gem on their hands. It is not possible for them to accept that the car has 123,000 miles.
    Why is it just now that so many of these low mileage cars are popping up? Silly

4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

See, saw and seen. Properly used, these words indicate tense. "Just seen" implies you are both in the present and the past. Incorrect and impossible unless you own a highly developed DeLorean.

Here's another one I've seen and heard too often. "Runs but will have to be brought inside to unthaw". Unthaw? Is it frozen, or does it need to be frozen?

5. chopo

chopo

i ask. is there any chicken left. my neighbor says its all. I ask, All what? wtf?

6. Nope, just seen is past, to be seen is future, was seen is past as well as saw - see & seeing is present

Also all forms of the connection verb "to be" - correct usage is illusive and ambiguous at best.

7. drflex

drflex

"for sell" or must sale/sail. always gets me. there was a guy selling a shower stall in his front yard once that had "for cell" spray painted on it. guess he wanted to trade for a phone. Or the classic engine runs great just needs bearings.

8. when people talk like dis, dat, da. . And since when is baby talk 'cool' for gangsters trying to act tough?? That's da car. I like dis car. I like dat car.

9. "rat rod"
    "gasser"
    "donk" ( I'll probably catch lots of hell for slipping the "D" word in. what can i say I can appreciate all things motorized)

break/brake

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Not descriptions but seeing as some are giving English and grammar lessons,,,, and when it should be an, as in,,, "I just found and old truck in the woods".

Oh yeah, the misuse of your, you're,,,,,there, their, they're.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. You use "an" instead of "a" when the word following starts with a vowel or a vowel sound. eg. This tastes like an orange" or "it would be an honour to serve you". notice the H is silent. It would be "honor" for our American cousins so don't bug me about my proper English spelling:p

12. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also all forms of the connection verb "to be" - correct usage is illusive and ambiguous at best.[/QUOTE]

Could you mean elusive? Ron

13. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, Unthaw must be like the unloosen I hear so often. Ron

14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yes, you are right. What I was pointing out was the use of "and" instead of "an".

Assuming of course that your point was directed at me. Hard to tell sometimes.

15. So you´re saying "I have just seen..." is impossible?? :confused:

16. But you have to be terribly posh - just like I am - to say "an hotel".:D

17. Could you mean elusive? Ron[/QUOTE]

Elusive is hard to find or catch, hiding.
    Illusive is being based on illusion.

Notice the refference made by another as "needing a time machine" and "being impossible" both of those are illusory in nature or based on an illusion.

I see - present
    I need to see - future
    Wish I didn't see - implies past but future wish
    I didn't see - past
    I have seen- past
    I have just seen - past but recent
    Needs to be seen - future

Is it hard to find and catch, yep but its illusive.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  18. derbydad276

derbydad276

its a Chrysler or its a Dodge or a Plymouth NOT a
    MOPAR
    to me its like saying Ford and Mercurys are motorcrafts
    or anything GM is a delco

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Do you mean:
    I be
    You be
    We be

20. Lmao,
    Understanding the proper usage of " I be , you be, we be" could save you much grief should you find yourself broken down in the part of town where that dialect is spoken.

21. "It's a small world"

BULLSHIT!!! Anyone that says "It's a small world", hasn't even tried to cross Texas, let alone the world - It's actually fuckin' huge!!!!;):p

22. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Duel exhaust, disc breaks, rear axel, front rear end (on 4wd), power steerage, duce coup.

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd rather see a post with Relevant Information written in less than perfect English, than posts with little or no value with correct spelling and grammar.

And that includes page after page of people bitching about imperfect spelling and grammar...

24. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Could someone educate the rest of the world on what 32 fords are, I see 28-31's listed for sale as 32's every week, and the same goes for Nomads... every station wagon from 55-57 gets called a Nomad... drives me nuts!

I laughed...

But at times it is a small world, I was in Boondocks Iowa in 06 hauling home a 46 Ford Hearse and was at the little truck stop there fueling, and a guy came over and chatted me up, he noticed my license plate and said he spotted a cool old bus I would like in Alberta, I am into buses so I asked about it... and he described my 46 Ford glass-top bus and how to find where I live... he didn't believe I was the owner till I whipped out some photos! LOL That far from home and the guy talks about my vehicles!

25. That would be a coincidence. The world can't be "small at times", it's always huge.;)

26. "California rust-free car" .... yeah right, all rust stops at the border!

27. WAY OT but since we have got solar flares today.

In a relative way the "world" is actually quite small. Most people are less than 10 connections away from anyone. For example me personaly, im 2 connections away from some of the most remote and poverty stricken areas in the world and 3 from congress, my congress connection has access to the sitting president. Does that mean we'll be having dinner, of course not. The previous comment is not a coincidence, its a fact if how small the world is, 7 billion people are bound to know, be around, or occupy the same spaces.

Now on the physical aspects.
    The earth's diameter is just under 8,000 miles
    the circumference of the earth is just under 25,000 miles.
    Pretty big huh? ? ?
    The sun is 93,000,000 miles away from the earth.
    The diameter of the sun is just under 900,000 miles
    The circumference of the sun is just under 2,800,000 miles
    1,300,000 earths would fit inside the sun.
    Pretty big huh ?
    The sun is a relatively small star.
    Here's some visual comparisons

[​IMG]

Now look at the sun compared to some other stars.

[​IMG]

The sun is 1.3 million times bigger that the earth. Look how tiny the sun is compared to arcturus.

Here's a mind blowing visual. See arcturus now, not so big anymore.

[​IMG]

The earth would much smaller than the size of an atom comprising the counter top. The 7 billion people on the earth ??? That's our galaxy, there are many other galaxies out there. The world is small

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  28. Agreed! .... and who is to say a spelling error is not really a medically or chemically induced typing dysfunction? People shouldnt sweat the small stuff.

29. Yes, in the scheme of things, the world is small .... and uranus is barely a spot on the screen..... sorta humbling isnt it?? LOL

30. Beau

Beau

I know some mighty fine fabricators that can hardly spell their name.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.