Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TECH WEEK: 20$ STEERING COLUMN with minimal tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I was thinking the same thing how about using two of them with bolts welded to the inside of one and use it on the outer firewall side so you cant see the hardware.:D Fucking rad column IAN !!

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx everyone for the kind words!

I understand what you're saying and I totally respect and value this opinion. A slip collar would definitely be a much safer option. Thank you for the info!
    Sorry for "STEERING" people in the wrong direction!

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Great idea!!! :)

4. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great tech, Everyone needs a steering culumn. Simple and to the point with very few parts. What do you do for the splines for the wheel to attach to it? or did I skip over that?

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Nice.. I'll be doing the same for the roadster..

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

While I don't have one sitting in front of me at the moment for a picture some factory shafts have through bolts pinning on the Ujoints they also have bolt notches on one side of the shafts.I like the idea of the shaft collars with locked set screws better but done right the through bolt should not be a big issue You sure wouldn't want a bolt hole 1/2 the shaft size though !

7. I think people are getting confused with sizes, exhaust tube is measured on the O.D [1 1/2 x16g = 1 3/8 id ] pipe is measured on the I.D [ 1 1/4 x1/8 wall = 1 1/2 O.D ] Hope this helps.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love this. HeDoIt! Gary

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx guys!!!

Shaft is 3/4" and the screw hole is way less than 1/4" if that shaft fails?!?!?!?!
    No way... Im not planning on racing any of these cars!!!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job Ian!

I think the whole 1 1/4 pipe confusion came from the fact that the flange with the hole in it says 1 1/4 on the box, which means that a 1 1/4 inch pipe will fit through that hole. Nowhere did he actually say that he was using 1 1/4 inch pipe, unless it got edited out before I read the whole thread.

11. badshifter

badshifter

Nice work Ian. I've been to IMS for a million years, been in those bins half that many times and would have never thought of that use for those pieces! Very nice.
    And that tapped hole? It will NEVER break.
    If it did every shaft on our cars that had a hole would fail.

12. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx man... yeah there was confusion with a pic i posted of the tubing label!!! :(

Thanx BADSHIFTER!! No way it'll break!!

was stoked on doing a tech about something simple and inexpensive... NOW.... Not so much!!! no wonder there's 150 000 plus members on here and only a few techs..... YA KNOW?!?!?!

I'm so biting my tongue right now..... :mad:

13. Great tip! Everyone has to have an opinion.....don't let the naysayers get you down. This is a true traditional rodders tip and you should be proud of it! Not all of us have tons of $$$ to dump into our cars.
    I do have a question to clarify, How did you mount the sterring wheel to the column?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  14. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I bet you can pick up everything needed at Tractor Supply. Thanx for the great Tech 'HOW TOO"

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

show off. i got some flex conduit, will this work?

16. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Great Tech Ian but I've got to tell ya, everytime I see that finned waterpump in the background it does something to me. I've got to find one for my Cadi man.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That is sweet. Just add a 12 pin On-Off-On 4 throw toggle switch in the dash or under the edge of it and you got 4 corner signals.

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I wish I could pick up your avatar at tractor supply:eek::eek::eek::D

19. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Nice build looks good .Should work for years to come.

20. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

Ian great tech keep them coming. I did one similar only instead of welding the bell to the column,which admittedly yours looks more factory made, I used 2 of the chrome bells from an old metalflake steering wheel,one turned backwards then sandwiched the adapter between I needed some spacers between but both bells tighten up together and spin with the wheel to give a column that resembles a ol' ford column like yours.

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ian... You're a ruler! And I think you are a RULER for posting this! Such a great idea! I REALLY REALLY wish I would have seen this before I made my steering column. I didn't think to look for either of those parts for the bell. Would have saved me TONS of time!

Funny how people are quick to criticize, yet aren't providing any of their own tech to put out there. To me, simple tech like this is what makes this place great and it's what tech week is all about. The best tech is stuff that just about anyone on this board can go out and do for a low cost and without any really special tools.

22. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Great tech for "everyman". Even a dumbass like me could do this. Thank you for submitting.

23. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

24. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Hell yeah Ian I'm gonna make one for the fleetline! Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

constructive criticismis a good thing. especially when dealing with steering. while the way he did it SHOULD be no problem, the collar with a set screw and no hole drilled in the shaft would be a better way to go about it.

as for hooking it up to whatever box / rack you are running, just get out your trusty grinder and grind a flat spot on the shaft to match a Borgeson DD U-joint.

did the same kind of thing using my stock column in my 49 Chevy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed. And that wasn't aimed at you, or anyone in this thread, necessarily. It was more or less a general comment for those who are quick to make assumptions/criticize with no basis, but take no risks at putting their work out there for the better of others. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS good. No offence intended... Hope you weren't offended by that.

27. deeddude

deeddude

Great tech. I was looking at doing something very similar except using a removable steering wheel like I use on my stock cars, but now this tech has opened up new possibilities. I never opened my mind up to the possibility of using the weld cap at the wheel, now there are many more wheels that would work. Thanks for posting.<O:p</O:p

28. I think it's Rad Ian! Very cool Tech how too, I love the look of it.........it's going to look killer in the Caddy also!

29. damn that's slick. Looks great

30. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

very cool !