Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To Fix Photos To Post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawford, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dawford

dawford

Many pictures posted on the HAMB leave much to be desired.

Unfortunately many of them have faded or weren't very good to begin with.

In this thread I am trying to inform others about what it has taken me some time to discover on my own.

Many of you use Microsoft Windows that came on your computer.

For this tutorial I am assuming that you have Microsoft Photo Gallery.

When I save any Photo it goes into the Microsoft Photo Gallery.

If you double left click on a picture in the gallery it pulls the picture into a separate window that gives you options listed at the top of the window.

The second option is Fix.

This option opens up 5 Fix options.

The most important of these are the Adjust Exposure and the Crop Picture.

Below are some pictures that were posted here on the HAMB that illustrate these options.

I hope that I haven't opened a can of worms and that this Thread is a help to improve the Photos and diagrams posted here on the Hamb.

Dick :) :) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Never used Microsoft Photo Gallery. I usually use a free app called IrfanView for my photo editing needs.

3. dawford

dawford

Bad Daddy,

If you want post some info on how to get that Free Application and how to use it Please do.

The reason I started this post is to improve the Photo Quality of the posted photos on the Hamb.

Anyone else feel free to jump right in with your suggestions of programs and methods of improving the quality of photos.

The reason that I suggested the Windows Photo Gallery is that it comes standard on so many computers and it is easy to use.

4. I have been using Picnik for several years. Unfortunately, free Picnik will be going subscription next month so I am looking for an alternative. I'm going to try Windows Photo Gallery and IrfanView (sort of a fly off) and pick the one that is best for me. My thanks to dawford and Bad Daddy for the timely info.

5. dawford

dawford

Here is a picture that I took of the sunset about a week ago.

There are 3 copies of that photo.

The original and 2 that I adjusted only the Exposure. The fourth photo is adjusted both in Exposure and Color.

I do this regularly and don't feel bad about posting the "improved photos" because those who are better than me with Photography use filters to achieve the same or similar results.

The second Photo is the original taken with an old Sony Mavica Digital FD-85 available on ebay for practically nothing.

The first copy shows how to bring out detail not seen in the original.

The third photo shows an exaggerated adjustment to bring out more color.

It uses 3 1/2" floppy disks that I also purchased on ebay along with a USB external floppy drive.

Easy to take and transport pictures to use on this forum.

I have several other more modern cameras but I usually fall back to this one for quick easy good quality photos for the Internet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Sure it helps...there's even a separate forum for stuff like this

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

but if you post it there, no one will see it

7. dawford

dawford

Thanks squirrel,

You are right I have never seen that Forum.

I will explore it now.

I hope the Moderators leave this Thread here because this is where it will help the most.

Thanks again, What I don't know about all of this would still fill a warehouse so all help is welcome.

8. Any encouragement to do some simple photo editing and resizing gets a "thumbs up" from me. :D You don't need something as expensive (and as intimidating) as Photoshop for the basic jobs. And you don't need to post full size 5MP and larger images to the forums. 800 x 600 pixels should be about the max.

Here's a piece of FREEWARE that I found recently that seems pretty capable.

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

There's even a portable version that's small enough that you can just run it from a thumb drive without actually installing the software on your computer.

9. Beau

Beau

To be honest, I like the originals better.

It's funny, a lot of people try to get the look of the old photos.

10. dawford

dawford

Beau,

You are right about that however sometimes the photos do not show the detail that is available when enhanced.

I often save photos just so that I can enhance them to see more detail.

11. I've been learning about all the functions on my droid phone (whew!), but they have a photo edit function, one of which is to age a photo...........before, after.

Attached Files:

12. Also, if you're using Micorosoft products there are two more frequently available. In the Windows opsys that comes on every PC type there's Microsoft Paint. You can do many of the functions noted above in Photo Gallery. Also, many of those same editing functions are within Microsoft Office for photo editing.

13. Beau

Beau

I do it all in Photobucket.

I like my computer like I like my hot rods. Stripped down, bare bones and fast. No need for programs!

14. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Are there instructions somewhere on this web site on how to INSERT pictures with a Reply? The only option I see is to insert a URL and I see a lot of broken links to PhotoBucket in posts. I tried using the path to the picture on my hard drive but that didn't work as a URL.

Yes I did try to Search which is how I found this thread.

15. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Great thread, I'll try it out, thanks for the tips!

16. squirrel

squirrel

lots of info here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

A URL is a Uniform Resource Locator...it's the "address" of something on the internet. Your hard drive is not on the internet in a way that other people can access it (I hope), so it won't work.

17. 117harv

117harv

I don't get the photo hosting thing, like photo bucket? All old threads seem to be missing the pics that were origonaly posted, what good is it if this happens. I have a small external hard drive that i store all my pics on. By using one of these even if my computer crashes i still have my pics. I'm not real computer savy but i'm learning every day, still can't figure out how to post big pics though:cool:

18. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Click the "Go Advanced" button under the quick reply box at the bottom of the page. In the next window, click the "Manage Attachments" button under the "Additional Options" section. There you can upload pictures from your computer or a URL to your reply.

19. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it's a problem. I don't use hosting sites like that, I either attach the pictures to the post so they're hosted by the forum, or I put them on my own web site, so I can manage them myself, and they only disappear if I goof up or forget to pay the hosting bill.

20. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Hmmm - I guess HAMB couldn't afford to pay for the extra BUTTON to Load or Insert Attachments directly on the Reply.

I have been looking for this "how to" tip for weeks.
    thanks

21. Lots of great info here.

Attached Files:

22. Thanks guys. That's the first time in almost 5 yrs. on here that I've been able to attach a pic to my post. I'm a computer illiterate dinosaur so this is a really big deal for me. Oh by the way, that's my roadster in the pic. Thanks again for the tutorial..............Don:)

23. Just wanted to give credit to Mr. Lyle Willits for the above photo of my roadster taken at last yrs. Liberty Street Rods Show @ Winfield F.D., Winfield, Md. I'll shut-up now, not trying to hijack this thread.

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

thanks helpful person! one day i hope to learn to post pics.

25. Bumping this back up 'cause I think it might help a lot of folks.

26. twochops

twochops

Filters work both ways.---------------TwoChops

Attached Files:

27. Very kool. Makes my roadster look more "traditional" and less "street rod".:)