Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you want a trophy, plaque or certificate and cash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Lead Scene East is coming up and the promoters are asking what kind of recognition would be most appreciated. So I said I would pose the question to the experts............You!

Instead of just making it a poll, I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing the different reasons for the different answers people will have.

They are set on cash awards for club competitions for the option of dividing the loot among the winners.

But there is going to be a special award open only to HAMB members, and they will probably be influenced in other awards by your decision.

So whatcha think? Trophy....Plaque.... or certificate with cash?

2. pastlane

pastlane

Can't eat a trophy. I vote for certificate/cash

3. Show me the MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Their first thought was money awards because it always comes in the right color and is easier to carry than a trophy.

And you don't have to DUST IT!

5. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Just a bunch of my peers telling me how much the like my ride.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

If you can't eat it, spend it or make love to it, what good is it?

Gold, diamonds, U.S. dollars, un-registered securities would work.

HellRaiser

8. I've always thought the whole award thing was kinda silly. Set up a local charity and donate cash in the name of the winners to that charity. Last year we raised a couple thousand dollars to the local cancer elimination group here in my town, I've got a dash plaque to show my support. Suits me just fine.:)

9. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

A home made trophy from my peers (not a "professional" judge) would mean more to me than cash or a plaque.

10. I'd agree with this also, last year I won the peoples choice award at a small ( 50 cars ) cruise in show in a nearby town, the award was a small kids gardening shovel and lettered on the handle was the words " We Can Dig It ". really cool, meant alot to me.

11. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Oldschool66 and Salty have the best suggestions so far.

HellRaiser

12. I dont really like award shows....

13. robber

robber

How about a trophy and some cash;)

Seriously, I think a home made trophy made out of car parts (pistons / connecting rods / whatever) would be cool and cash could be put towards charities, car parts, fuel or taking your favorite girl out:)

Attached Files:

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Id prefer cash ,Some guys are trophy hounds ,Dash plaques I have no interest......So Ill sat trophies and cash...................................................................And quit charging the guy that slaved over his car for years and charge the spectators more ,Car guys should be free ,There the show anyway................................

15. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Cash or a home made award gets my vote.

16. robber

robber

Agreed! We are the show...we tend to get charged and the spectators are often free. It seems like this is sort of backwards and should be the other way around.

Bottom line... I am not a trophy hunter; I go to watch people smile when cars bring back memories, etc. and the comradery. You can't put a price on those things and to me they are the reward.

17. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

I'd be happy with gas money and couple loaded hot dogs and an ice cold Foster's...Mmm I just thought of dinner for tonight...Jim

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What 'Molonewolf' said..........

19. jmpowie

jmpowie

Did they eliminate all the cancer in your town?

20. I'd just be happy if one of those scantily clad pin-up gals would sit in my car and fondle my shift knob.:rolleyes:

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like both $ and a plaque with place,class,date[but small,not big,back in the late 50's and early 60's we had Rody doing show around south Fla. and his plaques were about silver $ size] and ya could stick a few on the inside of glovebox door or door jam ect. were ever was fun cus they stayed with the rod vs stuck away in a box at home.:D
    The new trend of home made trophys are really cool great art and love those too,we didn't have them,wish we did.

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks so much for the feedback!

The main thrust of the show in question is a man in his 70's who has been around our car scene all of his life. I don't know how he accomplishes all he does without collapsing. I've seen him work very hard for far less reward than most. Even if he doesn't seem polished to some, I haven't seen anyone more intent on making others happy at an event.

He has even designed a wall of fame to be added to with each event simply to thank those who come and enjoy. And he focuses on the youth we hope will continue to keep our hot rodding interests alive.

Your suggestions in this thread will be greatly appreciated by him in knowing what makes others happy.

THANKS AGAIN!....................................

23. ....Sounds like it would be nice to recognize him with a special award of some sort. Maybe get something made up (secretly) to present to him at the end of the day.:)....Don.

24. PRB

PRB
    from Az

A nite with the award girl...

25. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

As long as we get his wife's approval first PRB.........

Glad you brought that up though, she's the wind beneath his wings in all of this...............

I like the idea of recognition for him, but I think we just blew the element of surprise..........lol

26. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i think everbody should have aleast one trophy to be proud off, money is gone when you spend it

27. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Video Bob , co-host of Lead Scene East show. THANKS for the input. 200 surveys were given out at the show last yr , all but 3 voted for money & certificates.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  28. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I agree especially when built by volunteer car clubs. You gotta love them. Just booked my Hotel for this event.

29. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Old school and Salty, I agree with both. Trophies, if awarded, should be somthing that doesn't look like your buddies bowling trophies. A donation in the name of the winner and some recognition from your peers is a great way to go.

30. Master of None

Master of None

Me too! It would mean more to me than a plastic trophy, especially if it came from a group of old customizers.