Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best way to lower my New Yorker?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Mar 5, 2012.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Just bought me a 63 chrysler new yorker wagon. I want to lower it, I assume blocks in the rear and crank the torsion bars? I know lowering it will affect the ride, will doing the torsion bars on the front completely kill the ride? thoughts? suggestions? thanks, Cody

Attached Files:

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

well the good thing is you can crank the torsion bars back up if it doesnt ride good enough for ya. Try that first and see what its like, then ur just out of time not money.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I did 2" blocks out back and cranked the torsion bars til it looked good, the I drove around and cranked it back up a hair so it didn't ride like crap.

look into FATMAN Fabrications... they sell a dropped spindle that will work on my 61 Dodge, not sure if yours is any different.

using a 70's spindle will lower it as well and give a foundation for disc brakes. Volare maybe? I forget.

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have no ideas for you but I really like your ride!

5. Arominus

Arominus

I'd be careful with spindle swaps, you don't want it to act wierd. I would do lowering blocks and then lower the t-bars a bit. Try it little by little and see how it rides. Once you settle on your front ride height have the car aligned (you need to do this anytime you change the ride height), and the go on your merry way. Make sure your bump stops are in good shape and replace them if they are nasty.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd be careful with spindle swaps, you don't want it to act wierd.

nothing wierd about it. it's been done and is a known swap. there is a guy on here who did it to his Dodge, I just cant remember all the details.

7. Spike!

Spike!

My 65 Chrysler has blocks in the rear and cranked down T-bars in the front. It rides a bit harsher than I want, but I' like the looks too much to change it.

Spike

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Love it slam that bitch get it in the weeds if you dont rub a littel your not low enouth

9. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Im stuck at the moment until I find a freaking fan clutch.

10. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I think I found a fan clutch! now to get it here, and get it up and running again then look into the lowering..

11. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I usually drop all my Chryslers using 3" blocks between the springs and just lower the T-bars until there's about .5" to 3/4" of space between the chassis snubber and the lower control arms. I always use KYB in the front and Monroe Sensa-tracks in the rear.
    If your rear springs are a bit tired the Monroe's can firm things up again a bit.

12. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I used your rims and tires to photoshop my car. I love your wheel and tire combo. The previous owner had new springs installed so it sits exceptionally high in the rear now. You wouldnt happen to have part numbers or anything for the shocks you used do you?

13. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Also, did you have any trouble with the driveshaft and the floor? Just trying to get an idea of what im in for.

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

What's the best way to lower my New Yorker?

cement shoes ?

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Let the air out of the tires.;)

16. One_sic_C

One_sic_C

Any pics of the beast??

17. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Yeah, keep that MoPar out there, good lookin' wagon.

18. You MUST realign the front end if you adjust the torsion bars AT ALL!!! It's a mandatory thing you MUST do! Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Figure the ride height you are comfortable with. Set it. Align it. Enjoy it.