Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 61 Ford Ranch Wagon...Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Jan 24, 2012.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Maybe something simple like this?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I was thinking.... Thanks again for the shop work.....

3. Jakebob

Jakebob

Some guys have all the luck. A builder and a driver!

I'd roll that '62 as is (with the wheels from the Photoshop) while you work the motor swap in the wagon.

2 nice scores. i hath subscribethed.

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Wow . You got some nice fords !!

5. starliner62

starliner62

Nice wagon. Just ship it to me and keep the 62. My parents gave me their 61 Country Squire wagon when it quit running. I did a valve job on it and drove the crap out of it till it blew. I then installed a 351 C and a 4 speed. Fun car. I wish I still had it. Last time I saw it, it was a yard car at a salvage yard in Marietta Ga.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Any time, I'm just glad you're keeping them old Fords going.:)

7. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man...I have been hunting a 61 wagon for years..finally got one. And then a friend of mine turned me on to the 62....way too nice of a car to pass on it.

Odometer on the 62 says....99930.... Been sitting since 84....door jam service sticker from March of 70 says 77k miles.....very cool...

I just removed 14pounds of acorns and leaves and crap from the cowl vent tonite expecting the worst....still has the original paint on it. I was very surprised. Very cool car....I am happy I got it.

8. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I would have to track that one down.... How long ago was that ?

9. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I got another curve ball thrown at me last night.....

I had a 64 Galaxie that I bought from the original owners daughter back almost 2 years ago. Very solid car....I did a few things to it...drove it for a few months and then made the mistake of selling it. I have regreted it ever since....The guy I sold it to called me last night and said...."the car is for sale if you want it back"......I knew this would happen...

Timing could not be worse....I just bought the 61 in February (my fantasy car) and then the 62 (I am not in love with it yet) a couple of weeks ago....and I really want my old 64 back....This is a running driving car....390 / 300hp 3spd on the column car....Black on red....

The problem is....I cant keep them all and keep mama happy at the same time....what to do? What would you do?

I am leaning towards selling the 62 so I can get my 64 back.....

[​IMG]

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hell thats an easy one, sell the '62 and get your '64 back. Seems like the '64 means alot more to you, its gotta be more fun to drive and its more valuable to boot.

11. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

Sell the 62, buy the 64 back..Then drop a 289 or 302 with a 3 speed manual in the 61 wagon. The aod will take too much power away from the small motor, plus the 3 on the tree is cooler. Port the heads and add a mild cam (Lunati Bracket Master 284 duration, 480 lift). Great cam for these motors. Throw on a set of granada spindles and master cylinder (this will lower the front end 1-1 1/2") add a set of torq thrust d's . 17x9 in the back and 17x7 in the front and ride! That wagon is cool. I wouldnt trade my falcon wagon for anything! Gotta put tri-power on mine....
    If you want/need small blocks i've got plenty and some connections to more.

12. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

Forgot to mention. There's a guy selling 2 of these 61 wagons up my way. I think you can still find them in the Lynchburg va craigslist. Just in case you might need/ want parts.

13. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on...I may take the 62 and put it up for a while. A friend offered to let me store it in his warehouse...dry and secure...then again I may sell it to help speed the process on the 61...I am torn as to what to do.

I wish I were closer to Lynchburg....2 61 wagons for $900.00...One of them is a Squire with a 390....DEAL!!!

14. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on...How about an altitude adjustment on my 64? Can you photoshop that pic or would a side view be better? Show me what about a 3" drop would look like? Thanks Eli...

15. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

i'd get rid of the '62 and get that '64 back. I have a soft spot for black 63-63 galaxies.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man I like your idea about dropping it 3". This ain't exactly scale but pretty close I think. Gives the car a whole new attitude.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eli, Waaaay cool.... Car looks faster already....

18. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

If you get the 64 back. I have a close ratio toploader with the long tailshaft for one of these cars......It needs rebuilt i'm sure. But a 390 4speed black Galaxie with wide steel wheels and dog dish caps would be cool! Something like 7's or 8's in the front and 10's in the back.

19. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I have decided to keep the 62...A friend offered to let me put it in storage in his warehouse so it will be nice and dry. I know that if I sold it I would regret it so I am going to keep it for a project down the road. I hope to have my 64 back in the next two weeks. I have decided to sell of some of my other parts and signs to make room for it. I will keep you posted.

20. Squatch

Squatch

Love me some Galaxies...You'll love the wagon... I love mine!

21. krooser

krooser

I like the FE engine... period correct and very stout. Hook it up to an 80's vintage 4 speed w/OD trans from a F100/150 and you're good to go.

22. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I did it....I finally bought my 64 Galaxie back. It feels good to have it back home. The friend of mine that I bought it back from only drove it 425 miles in almost two years...couldn't be happier.. I'll get some current pics up soon...

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Any update on the wagon? Did you sell the 62? I wanna see pics of the 64!

25. ok im not sure if i hate you or envy you i thinks its envy i love 61 fords
    (ive posted here before alot about how much i want a 61 starliner) and i love old galaxies especaily 64's and that nice unmolested 62 isnt anything to sneeze at id like to own them all

but i have to say id have to put a fe in the wagon alittle small block would just get swallowed up under that hood id leave some air under the car witha nice rubber rake if it were mine

26. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I havn't touched the 61 or the 62....all focus has been on getting my 64 back home...Here she is on the trailer coming home...
    [​IMG]
    I have little work to do before I will spend a lot of time behind the wheel...
    needs some brake work and the clutch/brake pedal assembly needs to be rebuilt (needs new bushings)...I am just glad I was able to buy it back.

27. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to put a 390 in it....with a 5-Speed.....trying to find another money tree to plant...

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Man I love the look of a 63 and 64 !!!

29. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

======================
    Wow - and then "found the skirts" in the back!
    Where do you find solid cars like this around there? :)

This one is super nice, then the '64 is killer.
    1-owner and red/black?!

30. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know what they say.."..they're still out there"...

And i like all three...a lot....but I just traded the 62 to a good friend of mine....you can't build them all. I am glad to have the 64...but I am real excited about building the wagon...