Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Mar 7, 2011.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I vote green glass with green leather

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Whatever colour glass you choose it will be a stunning car, just love those rear wheel/tyre combo

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd stay with clear glass, just seems to look better on a vintage car. Just my opinion?

4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I was going to take a couple week break on the car after Autorama, but the weather it starting to look better so I decided to get back on it. I dropped off the windshield frame at a local glass place to get the windshield cut and glued in. Long story short, it looked terrible. The chalked a huge bead around the frame, which definitely was not going to pass. The pulled the bead off, and gave me the windshield frame back with the glass loose.

I made some small rubber blocks to go inside the frame to keep the glass from rattling, then ran some black silicone in the channel before putting the glass and frame together. I then chalked a real tight bead to the frame that's just large enough to fill any gap from the frame to the glass.

Besides that, I put the headlights together and installed them, then made sure the turn signals/brake lights all function correctly. The wheels came off this past weekend also, and got balanced. Now it's just a waiting game until the warmer weather comes this way......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

That is one fine looking mocheen:D Usually I lurk on this thread but it looks so good I just had to say something.BD

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Stunning. I am super jealous...

7. haychrishay

haychrishay

WOW ! that is coooool !

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

every thing looks fantastic on this car...EXCEPT, the windscreen frame .I think its way too wide and heavy looking for a 4" chop. (or is it 4 1/2"??)
    It looks like the frame is about one inch wide? It should be about 3/4". Just looks clunky to me.You obviously have an eye for details..what do you think?

9. Code454

Code454
    from Canada

thats is pure gorgeous:D

Cody

10. spitzbohunkel

spitzbohunkel

C.T. On the speedy tonneau, did you drill mounts on the body for the snaps, or make something else to mount it to? thx dave

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I think the photo may be making it look wider than it is.....go throw a tape on your frame because it's probably the same repop'd frame as mine...I just cut it down a little more. I doubt that frame should be 3/4" wide anyway...seems too narrow but I'll measure an original if you still think your's and mine are too clunky.

Dave - I mainly made the tonneau to hide the non finished interior for Autorama, so I didn't drill the body for snaps. I picked up some high-powered small magnets that had a countersunk hole in them. Each magnet had a holding force of 6 lb. I just assembled the snap cover to the magnet, and sewed in a soft liner so it didn't directly touch the paint.

I did drive the car (in that photo before), around 45 mph with no issue at all.

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

One of the best builds in recent years in my opinion. Your car will be a collector's item in 10 years or sooner. Nice job!
    Lynn

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I like the tonneau magnet solution! I should do that to mine across the doors.thay flap a bit.

My windscreen frame is at 3/4" wide, which is why I noticed how thick yours looks.. It could just be that Im used to looking at mine and mine is too thin!

14. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

I was thinking the same as Lowsquire, but having looked at it again, it's mostly to do with the chop, it's a big drop and it makes the frame stand out. Even the stanchions look heavy-handed, it's all down to it being so short.

Having said that, I would either get a taller one or a thinner frame, it does look a touch too heavy. But it's just a tiny niggle on a masterpiece.

I still would have the twolites, though... don't know why, but I've never really warmed to those weird thingys with the crest on top. But with all that black it gives the car a really sinister look that's cool in itself.

Anyway, please excuse me right now as I have a few pictures to print and post on the board in the garage next to the pics of Lowsquire's roadster... must get my muses lined up before I start on mine! :D

Cheers, Eddie

15. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Get some neodymium magnets from ebay or whatever, you can stitch them into the tonneau so they won't mark the paint. They're the strongest sort available. I'm sure even the smaller ones will be up to the job, I bought a few for some scientific experiments and they're less than 10 mm diameter and about 4 mm tall, yet they're really strong, will hold about 3 kg each!

Just one note: keep mobile, wallet and other such stuff well away from them, because those buggers will mess anything even remotely sensitive up in no time... :D

Cheers, Eddie

16. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

One year ago today you started this little thread. I cannot believe that it took me this whole year to find it.:eek: I cannot think of anything to say that has not already been said...Awesome Job!

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think the windshield looks fine, personally. Deuces are meaty, they're not spindly like T's or sprightly like A's, the windshield works with that.

-Dave

18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Continued with shaking the car down today. It was in the 60s and sunny all day long, so we logged probably 30-40 miles.

The car is settling out nice, but the rear may be dropping more than I expected. I'll see how much more it settles with some more driving, but I may try to raise the rear maybe an inch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I tried to tell you to raise it up...:D

bitchin' car

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Larry - I actually had the rear spring re-arched 1 1/2" more before it was painted. I liked how it looked at mock up, but I knew it didn't have all of the weight in it either. I'm going to put a few more miles on it before I pull anything apart.

21. very impressive.
    Al.

22. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great car! Great build!!

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The only problem with that car Cory is that it ain't in my garage.
    Optically delightful.

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

beautiful car,like the stance

25. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I think with your eye for design you should do a three window next. The roadster has set the bar very high as 3W Larry's 3 window did a few years ago. The all black really stands out in my mind.
    Lynn

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thank you!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Dave50

Dave50

Cory You have done a amazing job this car gets me excited every time i look at it. Absolutely beautiful!! I want to build one now

larry your car does the same thing and is making me want to build a 3w now.

28. VonWegener

VonWegener

I like the way it sits. It reminds me of the way Dick Scritchfield had the McGee roadster set up. Very nice and refreshingly different than that rubber rake nosedown stance.

29. lazyv8

lazyv8

ride height looks perfect where its at!! leave it if theres no clearance /rubbing problems.. its so hard to make a 32 stand out because so many have been done so many ways,multiple times.. but your combo is wonderful and the stance it has now sets it apart..not that my opinion means much,but i love it..

30. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I agree, as long as there are no body/tire clearance problems or bottoming problems, the ride height is perfect as long as it doesn't settle any more. You have built a 32 roadster that future ones will be compared to, congratulations.