Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Pontiac Silver Streak 2 door *Now a Build Thread*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhutch713, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Great find! I really love these 50s pontiacs (I'm a tad biased since I own a 58 :). ) it seems that it's getting easier to find parts lately , for me at least. The value seems to be slowly increasing as well. Best of luck on your project!

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Wow, you think that he was ripping into you? You have some really thin skin then. Probably not gonna last long. And just for clarification "resto" means to restore, as in back to original, you then go on to tell us you're going to modify it. Can we give you award time about that now? :D

You can cruise through http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/ and find some ideas for genuine traditional custom ideas...

3. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Maybe you think its a typo should have read "put Olds windshield in it or a correct year visor"
    Thanks for pointing it out. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Short fused, wow, you better buckle up then. He was stating something that a lot of us have been peeved about for a while. You responding showed you do indeed have thin skin. He didn't call anyone names or anything. Of course you did correct your location. So don't get bent out of shape when you get called out on something silly like that. Hell you didn't even do an intro. :D

and maybe... Read This First! ;)

5. jhutch713

jhutch713

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Are they abundantly available? Well, you found one.

Does the flat-six have any value? You want to get rid of it, that should tell you something. If you have a boat, it has some value as an anchor.

Flat black and air bags? That'll be different!

I have a '51 Pontiac wagon, so I'm a fan, but I wouldn't want to tackle the chrome plating bill on your coupe. Yikes.

Brian

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hey dude, cool car. Don't see too many around often.

Ps, I don't give a shit where ya live!

Post pics as ya work on it. Good luck.

8. jhutch713

jhutch713

flynbrian48, I'm not set on satin black and bags, thats one of the reasons I started this thread to get some ideas, see some other's rides, I've also been thinking about a nice rich azul blue on the bottom and maybe a charcoal grey top above the main body line. As far as the chrome goes its all bad except the SS stuff. I'm planning on getting rid of alot of the stock stuff anyway (hood plate, truck plate, lower fender trim and alot of the badges) so I really won't have that much to replace or chrome. I'm just at the drawing board so I'm not sure what road I'll take on it. My son wants me to put flames on it. We'll see.

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Lets just see some car builden alredy.

10. jhutch713

jhutch713

Has anyone on here put a 305 or a 350 in a 50 pontiac before? Maybe something out of a firebird? What issues were there? Are there any pontiac motors that would make a better fit? I'm thinking a 305 might be a good match for it. Just not sure. Any knowledge on it would help I'm sure.

11. Cody80

Cody80

sweeeeeet. keep us updated step-by-step!

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Here's a 50 Hardtop my buddy Joe and I did a bunch of metalwork on for a club brother... mild chop, frenched headlights and tailights, reworked trim, custom built skirts, molded gravelpan, scoops in the quarters, blah blah blah...

Attached Files:

13. FORT FUNKYTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why you lousy, no good, rotten newbee!!!!!!!!!!Now I'm not gonna be your friend or send you any of the parts that I don't have anyway. Go stand in the corner!!!! I've never been so insulted in my life!!!!! Fort Funkytown, indeed;)

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Mine has an LS motor, but my '48 has an LT1. It's an easy swap. If I'd been smarter than I am, I'd have taken the FREE '68 Gran Prix the guy who bought it from me 20 years ago offered to me, just before I got the wagon. I passed, 'cause I didn't have a use for it right then. One week later, I had the wagon, and he'd given it to somebody else. Sigh...

15. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thunderbirdesq, that is a sweet ride, do you have a build thread on it? I'd like to see more on it. Thanks

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

No build thread on that one, the owner was supposed to start one and I guess it never happened...yet. He's still doing bodywork and prepping for paint. Here's a few other progress pics... chopped about 1.5" at the A pillar, lowered the rear till it looked right... layed the front corners of the rear window into the package tray and leaned the thing forward to flow into the rear of the roof. just enough... This is a nice way to chop these as you can use the stock rear glass/rubber and trim with a bit of trimming.

Attached Files:

17. jhutch713

jhutch713

Finally got some time alone with the 50 pontiac today and finally getting somewhere. Its officially a build now. I got the motor pulled, front end sheet metal off, steering column and steering out, I got the firewall stripped and got most of the interior out of it. I was filthy afterwards. It was as-if they used this car in some mud runs or something. There was more mud in there than in any old car I've ever worked on in my life and I've built some 4x4 trucks. The funny thing is where all that mud was it wasn't rusty or rotted out, it was acting like a scab in preserving the metal. I have a ton of cleaning to do on that frame to get it paintable. Anyway as of now I'm planning on doing a frame off just to be thorough in getting the funk off of it. Here is the first round of pictures of the work I got done today. Hope you enjoy. I'm planning on building this super fast and having her on the road soon, lets wait and see what happens there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hard to tell but the inserts on this seat was red crush velvet. Groovy.
    [​IMG]

Oh by the way when I had all the dash insullation laying on the ground before I swept up, I cut a few stubborn bolts off with a cutting wheel. Well, as I continued to work I noticed a potent smell, SMOKE. One of the red hot bolts was laying on a piece of insullation and was about to go up in flames. So dodged a bullet and didn't burn my car and/or garage to the ground. Woohoo

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  18. bigec

bigec

just barely fit but i have a 394 olds in my 52 pontiac

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just like you mount an Olds visor! :rolleyes:

20. 60 ford

60 ford

Looks like you've got a pretty solid body to start with. good luck with your build.

21. jhutch713

jhutch713

Okay fellers, I got a few hours with her tonight and the little girl is coming right along. I realize I'm only really doing demo right now but its a step in the process none the less. I got the stubborn old body off the frame and boy was that a proverbial headache. I got 3 bolts to actually come out with my impact but I had to cut every other one off with a cutting wheel. Woo hoo. That was fun! Well when I finally got what I thought was the last body bolt off, I began to jack the body up to seperate the two and the whole car came off the ground. There just so happened to be 8 more bolts on the inside of the frame rails, back to the cutting wheel. Finally with sweet success I got her off and discovered the nearly perfect frame underneath no rot at all that I could see. A pleasant surprise to say the least.

I think I've talked myself into selling this frame for someone to use as a original resto it would be a perfect candidate. I'm not sure what I'm planning on using for this build but I just hate the thought of hacking this frame up just to resub the front, new rear out back, and airbags all around. I can use any frame rails for that. Not set on it, if nobody shows any interest in it I'll just cut it up and build it.

Here are some pics of the body laying rocker on the concrete and a few pics of the frame. (I really like the stance and hope to be there one day for real) This is where I decided to stop for the night. Hope you guys enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions on paths for the build or inspirational pics would be appreciated.

22. jhutch713

jhutch713

Alright, Here we go. I've been pecking away on getting the pontiac project on the move. I got the firewall cleaned off and bought some sheet metal and was getting ready to shave it when I decided to build a rotisserie so I could get under it easier to weld up what repairs were needed on the bottom. Well since my connect point on the front is the firewall I put that job on hold. I spent 2 part-days and she's about done. I just used some stuff I had laying around but it turned out pretty cool. It looks very stealth fighter. All I have left to do is drill the holes for the mounting points and drill some holes for my connecter angle to hold the 2 bottoms together. I'll put the final paint on then. Very minimal stuff so I'll button it up the next time I'm on it.
    Materials used:
    4 scraps of square tubing
    2 Pickup truck bed rails
    2 pieces of frame rail
    2 old ford driveshafts
    1 old bed frame
    2 midfifties ford bed crossmembers
    2 6' pieces of left ocver angle iron
    3 cans of paint

The next time I post I'll have it completely bolted together and have the car body bolted on to it.

After this I have to make my brake and then I'll be able to actually build on my car. I have the the stuff to do it, but so far the time is eluding me.

Thanks Guys, enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jhutch713

jhutch713

Last night was a long night, but I got the rotisserie finished and got the car mounted, which was half the battle. Everything held, everthing worked the way it was supposed to, and my car didn't crash to the floor. So all is good. I flipped it up sideways and got a couple snaps of it in action. Here it is. I'm not sure what I'll do next, I'll either make my steel break or start cleaning the years of funk off the bottom. Hollar at yall later, J

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. jhutch713

jhutch713

Finally, I can move on in the build, I feel like a neglectful father, I haven't touched the pontiac in weeks. Finally I found a donor sonoma worthy to be in the 50. Running, driving, ready to go. Now all I have to do is get her tore down methodically so I can drop the body right on her. Here's a few pics of the donor I'll be dismembering and parting out. I'm sorry to all you s10 guys out there, I'll be ending the life of this one for good. But the heart of the beast will live on in my pontiac, so I'll make youall proud. Hopefully it won't take as long to do a follow up post on it this time. Oh, I will be using the 4.3 v6 and the manual 5 speed tranny in my ponch. Peace :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

here is some pic of mine

Attached Files:

Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  26. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

HR, thats one good looking coupe! Got ant plans for the front end? I'm trying to get my subaru sold so i can pick up a 50 myself. Hope mine turns out as good as it looks in my head.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. You are responding on a message of January 2013, so only 6,5 years ago and was last active April 2018 so good luck.:(