Register now to get rid of these ads!

So they ask, what will it take to buy your car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This question is asked quit a often.
    What is your magic number, that would allow you to let it go!
    I know everybody say never ever, Bullshit, every one has a price.
    Unless of course, you named it after your Mother in law ! And then you may, just may give the damn thing away! and throw in the wife for good measure.

2. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

You don't have enough money. . .

3. bonesy

bonesy

I've sold two cars that weren't listed for sale based on someone asking "how much will it take?"

4. So ya mean if there was a certified check for 50k made out to you ?

5. jmpowie

jmpowie

a check would take more than 50K but cash would be a lot less!!! There is something about a stack of 100's that make you change your mind.

6. After I tell people it's not for sale I find their ego(?) takes over and they seem to think they need to force a price out of me. I feel it's sort of one upmanship, that they want to feel they know better than I do what I, want to do.

Besides, most people are just nose poking anyway.

The only person I'd sell to knows he's first in line and he's said we won't have to talk to the second. I'll be taking the "dirt nap" by then, so it will be Vicki's deal at that point anyway. :cool:

7. Just what I have into it,,,,,, the sad part is I value my labor at $100 a hour so they would have to pay up .

The truth is I am only worth about 7.50 a hour so I don't think I have to worry about selling anytime soon

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

You got enough money I'll sell ya the clothes I got on. But you will never wear um like I did.

9. Money has a way of changing people and their ideals.

10. Finance major

11. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Nope.

12. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Your soul.........

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

So what the number on that Plymouth?

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd sell my 49 Chevrolet for $25,000. rolling chassis w/ MII, 305 /700r4, 10 bolt rear on stock springs. body stripped to metal with minimal repairs done and primed. great floors and trunk. other than the chassis the car is totally disassembled. no wiring, interior, glass, or other junk.

probably worth $3,000 - $4,000.00 as is, but I will let it go for $25,000. no lower offers accepted.

it is the only car I've ever had that I have never even remotely considered selling. not quite sure why.

15. Damn, we could have talked about it if I knew you were interested in it.
    I already sold it for a reasonable price.

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I never knew ya had it till I looked at yer profile.. Dang it

17. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, nice coupe!

18. Abomb

Abomb

First I say it's not for sale, after that I usually give them a frame off full blown done car price...then I get this response.."I could buy a much nicer car for that much money" to which, I respond, "what do you think I've got planned ?"

19. I have a really nice 59 sedan delivery I will sell you for $200.00 ... you cant go wrong. Just mail me a money order and this fine example of American engineering will be at your front door in no time, did I mention this car is 18:1 scale ..... very desireable!!! Will you buy today since the price is right??

20. I get this question all the time with my '34 five window.

My response is always "I'm having too much fun with it now, ask me in ten years".

What I don't tell 'em is I'll have kids starting college then. That might motivate me to sell. ;)

21. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The only thing this means is that YOU have a price.
    Many of my ol cars have been in my family since the 1930s, 1950s and 60s and I will NOT sell them.

22. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

A guy wants to trade this model A for my 36 ??
    He,s also made offers of cash but i keep puttin him off
    tellin him thats what i,m gonna be buried in son:D

Attached Files:

23. mj40's

mj40's

I just say 47 years of enjoyment. 25 years back a Ford dealership owner offered stuid money for it and I said not enough. 10 times what it was worth then and still didn't motivate me.

24. Simple..... CASH!

25. I tell them to start pulling out stacks off $100's and I'll tell them when to stop....

what I would realistically take...................................what it's worth...

10k for my A as it sits. worth 3,000-4,000 maybe?
    30K for My GTO As it sits. worth 10k at most......
    20K for my Blazer as it sits. worth 2,500 at most
    100K for my 1979 F250 that grandpa bought new..... worth 5,000-7,500 maybe?

Basically I don't want to sell them and mark them up accordingly to what I feel the hassle of acquiring another would be.....

26. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

don't put a price on it, somebody out there, will buy it.....

27. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I know people who would shed the wife for alot less than there ride......

28. Speed~On

Speed~On

This is an interesting question. This scenerio has crossed my mind and what would my response be if someone were to ask me this.

HHHmmmm, I saved my ass off for 10 years to build my car, even took on a second job. Once I had the cash it took another 2 years to get it on the road. 2012 will be the first year I will actually get to enjoy driving it. Like most, I probably have more into the car than I can realisticly get out of it. Like most, I have my hot rod because I enjoy tinkering with it, driving it, and owning it. I have a lot of custom parts on it and it would be a huge pain in the ass to have those parts recreated again. If I did sell it, I would be back to square 1 again...and that makes no sense to me. Besides, I built it with a friend and it pretty much turned out exactly the way I wanted it to, so it's "mine". With that said, it would take A LOT of cash....more than what anyone is willing to pay.

29. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I love this thread. I have been building hot rods and bikes for 40 years. Granted the early years I didn't have much to offer in the way of talent (might still don't). I have always tried to not get attached to toys. Life stuff happens or something better comes along and they go. Often with regret. I have sold a ton of bikes and a lot of cars. I still got my 50 Ford vert. It's still not finished, may never be. It's also the one I won't sell. Not saying I wouldn't EVER. Just not today.

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

What falconwagon62 is very true!! A good friend of mine was at Back To The 50's in St. Paul a few years ago with his hot rod. It was Friday morning and he just parked it. As he was wiping it down a man approached him and striked up a conversation. He proceeds to say, "How much do you want for your truck". (keep in mind my friends truck was not for sale, nor was he really interested in selling it) My friend, thinking this guy is just making conversation, shoots out a crazy price. The guy says, "ok, my associates will contact you shortly and get in touch with your bank". My friend was quite shocked. The man then tells him he just sold his buisness and he has already bought 7 cars this morning!!!!! He watched the man walk up the block and buy another car!! Just goes to show....be careful what price you shoot out....your car may be going to a new home. My friend went home with an empty trailer and was short 1 hotrod!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.