Register now to get rid of these ads!

What'd you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 12bjoshu

12bjoshu
    from Kansas

2003 (I'm a youngin', remember) 7 Year old me, in a 1954 5 Window Chevy Truck with the Blue Flame 235, and 4 speed... That truck has been in the family since new and is still original.. Now, I get to restore it in a few years..

2. i've got no pictures, but i first learned how to drive in a cushman 3-wheel meter maid scooter. manual trans, left hand shift for easy ticket givin'. after my permit i learned to navigate the highways in a 75 cadillac coupe de ville. took me license test in an mid eighties plymouth colt. the rest is history.

oh yeah, i almost forgot driving the altered and dragster back to the pits under tow after a run and eventually learning how to three point turn a dually crew cab on a return road and towing a race car before was i was officially licensed. man i LOVED my youth.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. Hmmn new one of these.

I lived on a hill in San francisco when I was about 12. I know it was a hill because it was marked hill at the intersection before you started down it. The old Italian guy across the street had a '49 Chrysler that he left the keys in so we could go out and try to drive it late at night. We always put gas in it before we coasted it back to his parking spot in front of his house, so it wasn't like we stole it. At least that is how a 12 year old rationalizes things.

My uncle had a '62 shot wide custom cab Ford that I practiced when I had my permit but I had already been driving whatever I could crawl into or on since I was about 12.

4. G'day, First drove in a 1958 Edsel. I was two, it had push button shift, and I almost ran over my dad before hitting the house. Learned to drive on Massey 62??? I was at 8 the oldest grandchild and free farm labor. Plowed, bailed hay, seeded with that little Massey and then drive a 54 2 ton truck for grain harvest. A lot of responsibity for an 8 year old.

ms

5. fordman1

fordman1

My grandpa had an old grain truck that we got running, so I started on a 1948 Chevy truck (1-2 ton), which led to my first car project. Rebuilding the trans since I had to hold it in second which added to the learning experience! Later we built it a new flatbed and even kept the tilt function. Drivers test was the 1978 Bronco that my parents bought new and drove me home from the hospital in, too bad I rolled it in college during a snow storm! I still have that one though, just need a new body.

6. My Dad's '50 Plymouth woody wagon,,,took my DL test in a buddies '49 Pontiac 'vert,,,

7. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

In a 1958 Mercury setting on my Dads lap at 9 years old. Boy did I think I was a big deal. We attended a country church that was 9 miles each way. Actually it was a bribe to get me to behave during the Church Service & Sunday School. It worked somewhat.

8. 1949 Comet! and then 49 Ply. Not sure which one was more fun:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. Ha I forgot about my peddle car, mine was a red fire truck and the bell worked until one Sunday morning when the old man came out of the house and removed the clapper. :D Guess it was just a bit early for the bell.

10. I had a cap gun (in photo). I started driving the 49 Ply when I was 10.

11. I had several cap guns, but once the caps were gone they were gone. :eek:

When I was real little the ol' man would set me on the tank of his henderson and take me for a ride. On my B day he would let me operate the handle bars. I thought I was steering until I got old enough to know you didn't have to hang onto the bars to steer a bike. :D

12. I have the car and the gun! The Comet not the Ply.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Had a car before I could drive a 53 Merc hardtop with a Y block installed drove it in my back yard. I had a motorcycle at 14. When I went to Drivers Training we had a 60 Dodge Wagon instructor who had been a WWII pilot knew I could drive he had me drive first and by end of week had my hours in. Was kind of boring riding with other drivers for next 5 weeks. Instructor later told me he wanted other kids to see me drive. He actually asked me to work on his cars later on.

14. robber

robber

My Dad used to let me sit in his lap and drive his '53 Bel Air while he worked the pedals... I was probably 7 and this was a common practice coming home from the drive-in movies! At 15 I began working on my 1st car, a '54 Plymouth Savoy 2 door. It had a flathead 6 with 3 on the tree plus overdrive. Great, reliable, easy to work on car:)

15. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

57 Ranchero. up at my grand father's farm.

16. BillyM

BillyM

I guess it would have been our 63 International 3 ton stake truck. I was allowed to drive it around the farm now and then. I probably started when I was 14 or so...

17. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Bell bottoms and concert shirt, I'm sure

18. sledd

sledd

I bought a 58 Impala 2 door buisnessman's coupe with a 348 3 on the tree when I was 15.Got it for 50 bucks and what a party car.Wish I had her today....:(

19. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

1949 1.5 ton hay truck in the field. no glass and a feed sack for a seat cover hooked to a fairas wheel bale loader.

20. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

I got my first car before I turned 13: a 40 Chevy 4-door. But never got to drive it. Learned to drive in a 63 Dart 4-door push-button and a 68 VW Beetle. Took my driving test in the VW. By then the Dart was gone and we had a new 70 Dodge pickup. I drove that to the Junior Prom. :)

21. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

A 1960 Corvette. It had a 283 with a 4 speed and a 4:11 posi. It was our family car until I was 5 years old and my dad didn't sell it until I was 17. I still miss that car!

22. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

great stories/ cars here guys. thanks for sharing

23. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

'62 chevy short bed truck, straight six, three on the tree. Absolutely no options. No radio, no passenger sun visor. Great truck, it was my grandfather's.

Also spent time that same summer on a non-syncho 2 cylinder Kubota. Got really good with the clutch for a 12 year old.

24. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

My girlfriends Corvair Monza . I learned to drive in the front seat , and how to %&$# in the back seat ! All in all two great experiances .

25. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

When I was 10, I wanted a 4wheeler. Dad and my Grandpa bought me a 65 half cab scout for 200 bucks. They gave it to me and said happy Bday, if you hit something, make sure its cheap. It'll be 27 years in June and I'm still driving it. 4cyl 3spd. Top speed is 55 mph aslong as there is a good tailwind.LOL

26. '72 Olds Cutlass, family second car. 350, automatic, nothing fancy.

27. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

That will be a tough one to beat! :D

28. whisky runner

whisky runner

well if we are counting pedal cars..then i guess this is what i first learned to drive in...well and dads old hot rod pontiac rocking the steering wheel back and fourth while rooommmm rooommmmm rooooommming sounds coming outta my mouth..ha ha ha ha

[​IMG]

29. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I learned to drive in my '58 Ford F250 that had a 263 straight 6 with a 3 on the tree/ I bought the beat up piece for $600 down in La Mesa, CA and drove it all the way to Escondido, CA

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

at 14 it was a Willys Jeepster