Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods v. Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Feb 26, 2012.

1. johnod

johnod

Just read your whole build thread, very nice.
    I also like your listing of suppliers, and already placed an order,lol.
    Also checked out the britV8 site, also very interesting.
    Do they modify MGAs at all?

2. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

3. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I had a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 with a 327/4 speed combination. I bought the car from the "New Car Trade Center" which some HAMBer's from may remember in Toronto (Avenue Road and Davenport - long gone). It was medium blue with wire wheels on the front steel wheels of some description on the back.

As a kid it was in my mind a beautiful car and I still love the styling of the big Healey. Their prices have just gone through the roof in recent years so I guess there are lots of people who really enjoy the the marque as well.

As I recall it had a lot of chassis flex which it think was due to the frame having been notched and boxed to clear the Chev starter motor. An interesting thing about the V8 combination was that it was actually lighter than the Healey 6 and O/D transmission. A friend had a very early MGA with a 283 powerglide set up but it never worked particularly well.

We had some great Canadian sports car cross over hot rods perhaps the most successful were the Bill Sadler/Doug Duncan Chevrolet powered road racers that were considered by some to be the very first of what was to become USRRC and CAN/AM cars.

Great thread Healey Rick. Really interesting information.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

A picture from the late 60s. A beautiful silver blue with a blue top SBF and it had a rep for being very quick.

5. My poor mans Healey

Attached Files:

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Frank Kurtis not only built open wheel cars, but he built virtually ALL of the Indy roadsters during the fifties. He also built dragsters, and just about every kind of hot rod imaginable, and transitioned into sports cars during the late forties...

[​IMG]

7. johnod

johnod

8. Hmmmm I know where I can get a pair of these cheap!;):cool:

9. johnod

johnod

Huh?

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

56 or 57 Vette with a 301

11. robber

robber

Some of these cars are hard for me to classify as either sportscar or hotrod. When you make something faster and better, then to me you are getting into hot rodding.
    I used to run a modified MGB and I had a modified Corvette as well. I have seen many a Jaguar stuffed with a SBC just because it was cheaper then rebuilding the V-12. I even had a chance to buy a Jag with a 455 Olds! To me this was flirting with the Hot Rod mentallity. What Shelby did with the AC could be argued as being either a sports car, factory race car or factory hotrod. A Sunbeam Tiger is definitely on my list of cars that I would love to have... perhaps someday but more scarce than ever.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I love those. They're so much cooler than their better-known descendent the Muntz Jet. If I were made of sheetmetal talent, I'd be driving some rolled-over late model (Mustang, probably - or a shortened Crown Vic) with a body inspired by the Kurtis built on top.

I love sports rods in all their iterations - Tea Baggers with American V8 swaps (MG-TC with a V8/60 would be cool); '20s and '30s domestics meant to handle a road course; or pure homebuilt specials with big American engines.

-Dave

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. caseyajones

caseyajones

Healey3.jpg

Healey.jpg

TR.jpg

00000013.jpg

100_0727.jpg

S5002027.jpg I am a hotrodder. I started on my 1st. car in 1962 @ 14 yrs old---a 1937 Ford. Also pictured is my current 57 Ford. In between, I have built many hotrods--several of them sports cars. The 1st a 54 Austin Healy 100-4. Sports cars are light, most had disc brakes and most handled better than domestic cars. The Healy was for competition only and received a 426 max wedge with a shortened torqueflite & ran 10 flat in the 60's. Also did a 100-4 w/sbc for street but no picture. In late 70's did a TR6/strong 331 sbc.In the early 80's a 240Z/331 sbc. Recently a 280Z/355 sbc. There is nothing at all wrong with sports cars for Hot Rodding!!!! note--I'm Casey's Dad

14. caseyajones

caseyajones

I guess there was no room for the 37 Ford and engine pic for 280Z

Attached Files:

15. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I'm very happy with the Spintech Cruisers. Because the Healey is so low at stock ride height it's difficult to find a muffler that won't bottom out. The 2 1/4" height of the Spintechs fills the bill perfectly and I think they sound awesome.

16. I had a ERA 427 sideoiler for 14 years. It was the more fun to drive than any other car I owned. When I was 16 a friend had a late 50's MG that he put a 260 Ford in and I remember what a blast that was to drive.

Attached Files:

17. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Really ?

Healey 3000 = 6
    JAG xk = 6
    E Type = 6 or 12
    Daimler dart / sp250 = 8
    Ac cobra = 8
    Ac ace = 6

18. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

My '52 TD with a '37 v8-60, Mustang t-5, 3.9 gears in a stock rear end. Still not finished (are they ever?) but a blast to drive. Marvin

Attached Files:

19. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

haven't seen a MG w/V860 in years, great combo.

20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The v8 60 was a cast off motor for a long time. Morgan used one in at least one car in the fifties. As a kid in southern Cal. in the fifties I saw several European cars with v8 60's and then along came the Olds F-85 aluminum engine. The v8 60 motor that really impressed me was the simca Ardun head, now that really looked like a good idea for a small sports car.

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Specials, Europe's hot rods:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Batten Specials were sort of semi-productionized

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Other Fords, both American and British

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Austins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MGs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rileys

[​IMG]
    Sunbeam

22. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Add to the list of hot rodders turned sports car types Dan Gurney, Phil Remington and Jim Busby. Someone mentioned Carroll Shelby did some driving. Carroll was one of the top American drivers through the '50s. He drove in 8 World Championship Grand Prixs and won the 24 Hrs of Le Mans in 1959 in an Aston Martin. It was his racing record that gave him the credibility with the likes of Ford Motor that allowed him to get the Cobra project off the ground.

Danny Ongais did more than just turn left. He was a top sports car driver in the IMSA series for Ted Fields Interscope team winning the 1979 24h of Daytona.

Racers are racers and will race anything, anytime, anywhere. It's only in the last 15 or 20 years that they have gotten so specialized. Back in the day the likes of Andretti and Foyt would run a Can-Am race one weekend, an Indy car race the next and squeeze in a Sprint car race in between. Some F1 guys would run the Daytona 500 because it was still the off season for them. Back then they got paid for driving, not making personal appearances or sponsor commercials.

Kurt O.

23. Beau

Beau

Hot rods go fast in a straight line. American

Sports cars go fast through the corners. European.

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

And in two short sentences you dismiss a huge and diverse part of our automotive history...

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm in the process of transitioning myself.

Let's not forget Ohio George Montgomery and all the Spec motors he built for road racing (I forgot the name of the sanctioning body - somebody will chime in).

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some Europeans that went fast in a straight line.

35rollout.jpg

rekord_41s.jpg

0,1020,622827,00.jpg

2610404633_d412b237a5_o.jpg

2614419099_b4f6e77af7_o.jpg

Some Americans that went fast around corners...

CIMG1188.jpg

crmcarnesbob60bocar.jpg

CHEETAH%20%283%29.jpg

0d6124ba5ed87e25338246ffe73b952c20090225145944.jpg

db_DSC03287__Small_1.jpg

9c_1_b.jpg

c54pc3a13lb.jpg

27. Beau

Beau

Yes.

But in general, my two sentences are right.

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

But things eventually get a bit dull in the middle of each of them. Interesting stuff happens where they cross and flow into each other.

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

And this would be a cool concept for a hot rod:
    [​IMG]

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

If you are prepared to ignore a huge part of history, maybe.

But these guys that put themselfs in the record books are proving you wrong...