Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are people really getting these high prices for their unfinished projects???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah but the good thing is also the bad thing... needs a whole new roof to start, then every patch panel available from EMS to put the rest of it back together right.... I guess it's better than buying it smothered in bondo and not finding out til later.:(

2. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Gotta be careful with that, I lost my truck that way 6 or 7 years ago.

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

It's odd that guys are asking so much for projects when you can buy some finished cars for a little more. And I mean popular cars like 32's going for 40K, why would someone buy a '32 project for 25K, it doesn't make sense when you can buy a running, driving car.

It's also odd that the project prices are so high when we are in a recession but after seeing the last Barrett Jackson auction and the huge prices it's like, what recession!!!

4. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

If you try to build a car today using the real original hard to find parts it doesn't take very long to sink a whole lot of money into a project.

5. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Please, take me with you.

6. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Use the "completed listings" filter on ebay if you really want to see what is selling.
    Most of it isn't.

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

Same ole story - classifieds ads cars hardly ever sell for the asking price.
    The market in many sectors has been f'd up for years and some cars go for too much $ and others far too low. Depends on when you tune in on a deal or not.
    List it as an auction to find out what buyers will pay at that particular time.
    But don't draw conclusions as it all can change a few days later.
    Sale prices in times of recession and 'recovery' make their own rules.

8. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

For some reason I think the crazy car prices have a lot to do with the Discovery Channel and TLC. It was right around 2003 when prices started skyrocketing, and thats the same time West Coast Choppers, OCC, and the Ratrod shows started showing up. When I was 14 years old (1997) and started looking for my first classic I could find lots of decent non-running 50's cars and trucks with titles for under a thousand. I got my 49 chevy for $500 bucks, and before the economy got bad I remember freinds throwing down 8k for just a decent driver and thinking I was crazy for listing my '53 chevy on craigslist for only 5k.

9. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

good point.. years ago my ex wanted a new Pacifica and they wouldn't give her enough on the family van for a decent monthly, so she comes home unhappy and asks, "can we trade the van and the Buick?"

now she's gone and the Buick's still here, glad I didn't go along!

10. We cant seem to bring those high prices here in MO. & it seems like when we locate somthing around here the owners think there car should bring Barrett Jackson $. We just leave them our # & tell them to call us when they want to get serious.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few weeks old on this post but I'd say that there is a whole lot of truth to that ditty.

Wife says sell that damned car that is taking up her space in the garage while her year old econo box sits out side so it gets put up for sale at a nuts case high price with the hope that those seeing the add will get a good laugh and the wife will stay off his back because he is trying to sell the car.

Ebay, Hotrod Hotline or here in the classifieds you often see project cars especially Model A Fords with asking prices higher than cars of similar models that are running driving cars that may be a few years old in the build but still decent rods that can easily be improved by a wheel and tire change and maybe a paint job. And flat black automatically seems to increase the asking price of anything by 30%.

12. Love it, talk about hitting the nail on the head! ;)

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people are just unrealistic in what a project or done car will bring, or they figure they will hold out long enough and maybe a fish will come along.

When I decided to sell my 23 I knew the least I would take for it and took into account the lousy economy, so I took it to a show and put a sign on it. 3 hours later it was sold. But, the guy who bought it never test drove it, never even sat in it, and never asked to hear it run. It was obvious he bought it because he felt my price was low and he could make some money. I had 4 or 5 thousand more in the car that what I asked for it, but I also had 3 years of fun in it.

Sometime later it showed up on Ebay for $ 6,000 more than he paid and it didn't sell. He tried again and it didn't sell. Finally, a guy bought it from him for exactly what I sold it for, so I guess my price was what the market would bear. If you want to sell one you have to be aware of what similar cars are bringing and be sensible.

Don