Register now to get rid of these ads!

'46-'48 Ford Deluxe vs Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48Tom, Feb 29, 2012.

1. 48Tom

48Tom

I know this is probably horrible of me to ask, seeing as I own one, but what is the difference between the Ford Deluxe and Super Deluxe? I am finding very little literature online about it, and I figured someone on here must know.

I do know it was only the Super Deluxes that came as convertibles, but is that the only difference?

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

different trim level.

3. fordor41

fordor41

I have a '41 Ford S/D that has all the trim available on the body. Is the only one I've seen like it with wind shield, rear window, window, belt line and fender chrome on a fordor. Also the dash is different than others I've seen with that ext. trim combo. I understand that Ford changed trim mid years so I suspect it involves interior/ exterior trim combinations.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've wondered the same thing. I had a 46 Tudor (now it belongs to my Son) and I never could tell if it was a deluxe or SD. Someone told me if there were little holes in the front of the drivers side fender, right under the headlight, that an emblem that read Super Deluxe went there. Ours has the holes, so I am not sure. I have also heard it was the V8 vs the 6 that made the difference.

Don

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Upholster fabric, SD has a trunk light, minor stuff. On all years of early Fords, the most deluxe model (terminology varied) was much more common... generally that was the one the marketed, and the lower line was for commercial users and really stingy dirt farmers who insisted.
    Some models were top of the line only...like convertible.
    In 1941, there were THREE lines...the bottom one was coupe and tudor only and was stripped as far as the law would allow.

6. fordor41

fordor41

I've heard the Standard had 1 wiper,1 int. sun visor & 1 tail light. Have never seen one.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ours has some of the stuff you listed for Super Deluxe, like:

2 sunvisors

2 rear ashtrays

I will have to take a look to see about some of the other stuff, like the cranks for the vent windows and some of the trim.

What was funny was when we pulled out the seats the fabric was pulling away and the backing underneath was old burlap bags with feed store names written on them. I guess old Henry bought whatever he could get a deal on and used it. The upholstery was original so the burlap was definitely from the factory.

Don

8. gotit

gotit

My 48 S/D doesn't have crank vent windowsor a trunk light

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There were so many deviations during those years that it is hard to know what a car should and should not have. For example, our 46 has a tool tray in the trunk but not all of them do.

Don

10. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I just picked up a '47 Super Deluxe Convertible. It has the crank out vent windows, two dash ash trays, V8 and alot of stainless trim but no heater. Also has whats left of 2 visors.

11. 48Tom

48Tom

Mine is a '48 Deluxe (as marked on the front of the hood), but it does have the 2 visors, 2 ash trays in the inst. panel, the clock, the horn ring, the rear-seat ash trays, and the assist cords... really the only difference i've found between the two was the interior color; deluxe was tan and super deluxe was a gray... wish there was SOMETHING from ford that would explain the differences :mad:

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I have a 48 tudor that's a super deluxe, and its a 6 cup.

13. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Tom,don't know if this help's or not but here's a pic or my brothers '46 Super Deluxe!

[​IMG]

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have a '47 super deluxe, doesn't matter what Ford said, I think its Super Deluxe.....

:D

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The one tailight and wiper ended with '41, I think...laws were changing! I have seen '42-48 dash plastic with the clock hole molded shut...I'm guessing without going to the literature the clock was an option below the Super Deluxe level. Different colors of plastic, probably upholstery fabric was the biggest downgrade as many things were dictated by stampings...no way to delete ashtrays!

16. I have a friend with a 47 tudor that has no clock, one visor, and only one ashtray.
    Matt

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 3rd trim level in 41 was the Special. I think all were sixes and stripped to the bone.

18. tobias1954

tobias1954
    from Norway

I am from Norway and have had a few of these through the years.
    Both DeLuxe and Super DeLuxe versions were offered with the 6 and the V8.
    Body styles as DeLuxe: Tudor Sedan, Fordor Sedan (discontinued after '46) and Business Coupe. The Sedan Delivery was also delivered as a DeLuxe.
    Super DeLuxe: Tudor Sedan, Fordor Sedan, Sedan Coupe, Convertible Club Coupe, Sportsman and Station Wagon.

The Super DeLuxe badge were mounted under the left hand headlight on the '46. The DeLuxe badge were placed in the center of the first grille rib under "the moustache". '47 and '48 had a badge on the hood, under the ornament, telling if it was a Super DeLuxe or not.

The DeLuxe had no clock, only driver door armrest, only one ashtray on the dashboard (the hole had a cover on the passenger side), no horn ring, push-out ventilating windows in the front doors.

The Super DeLuxe had a clock, armrest on both doors in the front, two astrays, a horn ring, crank-to-open vent windows in the front doors, extra quality upholstery, cigar lighter, ash tray in rear compartment of sedans and push out rear quarter windows in Fordor Sedan.

These are the main differences as described in reprints of sales data and brochures.

Attached Files:

19. 48Tom

48Tom

@nowaxn5 I saw that this year at Autorama Detroit. Absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to get mine looking like that.

@tobias1954 This is strange, my '48 Tudor's dash panel is that of a Super Deluxe (has the clock, horn ring, ash trays, and the cigarette lighter), however my front vent windows are push-out, not crank, and my hood has the "Deluxe" badge below the ornament. Perhaps it is possible that mine was a Super Deluxe, and both doors and the hood were replaced with that of a Deluxe model... strange...

Here are some pictures of her so I can prove I'm not crazy! haha

Attached Files:

20. fordor41

fordor41

Actually I believe that each year had it's own interior uphostery, and knob colors. "41 was "butterscotch" with wood grained dash. another year was gray, etc.

21. BigChief

BigChief

The Early V8 Club of America has some good information in their publication "The '41-'48 Ford Book". There were 35 running production changes in the '47 Ford MY alone. Put that along with dealer and owner added/changed items and its a crap shoot for the most part.

22. That's sweet right there!

23. Biothree

Biothree

I bought five '46 Fords. I sold the convertible and am building a 2 door restorod. Most of the cars were already in pieces and some I discovered were 47/48 (I could tell by the trim). What I could never quite figure out was the crank out wind windows versus the push outs. You'll have answered that for me. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  24. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

He was a smart business guy is all, on the T and A's didn't he use some of his outside vendors shipping crates as floor boards?

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Was that chome (or stainless) trim that goes around all the windows on the outside of the body only on the S Deluxe or was it on other models too? Our 46 has the holes for it but the PO removed and sold it so we are going to have to find some eventually.

Don

[​IMG]

26. Dar100e

Dar100e
    from england

27. Crank out vent windows are Super Deluxe only. The Deluxe had flip out vent windows. Also the trim around the side windows is Super Deluxe only. Only Ford's I've seen with rear window trim were 41's, both Super Deluxes. The rear window trim was standard on the Mercury's.
    Matt

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  28. millersgarage

millersgarage

the trim around the windows is a '46 only.

my '47 Super Deluxe does not have cranks out windows.

I wonder if tube shocks were a Super Deluxe thing? I have seen 46-48's with either friction, or tube.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tube shocks transitioned into production slowly...all the stuff carries '46 part numbers, though I don't think I've heard of any '46 use, some '47's got them, some "48s have Houdailles...mine does. I think vent cranks are '46...
    Different levels of trim got differnt colors of plastic...there are a lot of evolutionary changes '46-8, with many changes ocurring during Model years.
    Most Ford found will be Super Deluxe

30. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Here is my stock 48 Super Deluxe

[​IMG]